Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Economics, Business & Finance
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Economics, Business & Finance Economic matters, political economy, goods and services. Learn financial intelligence, build and protect your assets against crashes, governments, devaluation or inflation.

Frugality, Thrift, and Salvage

Old Thursday, February 21st, 2008   #1
Zimobog
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Celtogermanic
Subrace: Don't know
State: Alaska
Family: Married with Children
Politics: I want my country back now
Religion: HFR Heathenry
Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.

Frugality, Thrift, and Salvage

I want to celebrate living below radar, below budget and having a great time while we do it. Feel free to share ways you have beat the man by bartering, raising your own food, , or just reusing something that was in the rubbish pile. There are ways to make a living at it, but sometimes it feels good to save money for something real!

Once, I found a weight set out by the road. I carried the bar back by itself, which was a big Olympic sized one. I got my friend recruited and we went back and forth three times getting all the stuff to my place. I sold it later for $200.

I also used to find couches and furnishing in the trash. College kids will throw out anything, the spoiled shits.

At an auction last week, I got a storage unit for next to nothing and have sold some items out of it (dressers, washing machine, potting soil and implements, shelving) which tripled my investment, and I still have a brandnew table saw out of it and tons of handtools for wood working.

So if you want to talk about fugality and independant kind of life, lets do it.
Zimobog is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zimobog For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, February 21st, 2008   #2
Mrs. Lyfing

Ethnicity: Old Stock American
Subrace: Bruenn
State: Alabama
Family: I Love Him!
Politics: Liberal/Traditional
Religion: Spiritual
Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.Mrs. Lyfing 's judgement is sought by kings.

I just got a beautiful plant, & pot out of the ditch the other day!

It was in a rich neighborhood, it was so big & green & I love plants, it was also, in a nice looking pot, it did have some dead leaves on it. I brought it in & sat it in the shower, gave it a good shower, & it was good to go....I actually have a picture because I posted it somewhere, saying this is the plant I got from the side of the road....

I have seen furniture, dressers, Christmas trees, patio furniture, everything thrown out, I didn't always pick it up, just cause, I don't have enough room ...:p

If its slap gross well No, you should leave it. In other case, load it up!

I know people who said they collected junk, had yard sales & made extra money that way.
If your looking to give it a try, stroll through the rich neighborhoods ( unless you are living in one ) ...People throw things out in Summer a lot & Christmas time, you never know what you might find!

P.S. The picture was took before I pulled all the dead leaves off...lol...shit eyes:
Old Friday, February 22nd, 2008   #3
Zimobog
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.

I would have picked that up, too! It is cool it survived.

Last summer I found where a tree nursery had dumped a big row of the black plastic plant pots on public land. I took and planted romaine, cabbage and spinach in them back at the house.

Salvage really isn't as gross as it seems. Most Americans are very wasteful and toss perfectly good consumer goods away as well as some profitable recyclables like aluminum.

I once got two t.v.'s for free (owner got big+new one) and sold them. Instant cash for expenses.
Old Friday, February 22nd, 2008   #4
Dr. Solar Wolff
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Subrace: Nordid
State: California
Family: Married
Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.Dr. Solar Wolff is a deity.

I have a large dog who needs to be walked everyday. We go a mile at least. During our walk I noticed that local residents had the nasty habit of throwing beer and soda cans on the street just before they got on a major highway. I ignored this at first but then wondered if I could recycle the cans and make some money. So, I began picking up the empty cans, crushing them and putting them into my pocket. I throw them into a box and sell them once the box is full. It takes no time or effort and the money from the box of crushed cans fills up my gas tank every so often.
Dr. Solar Wolff is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Solar Wolff For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, February 23rd, 2008   #5
Soten

Ethnicity: American
Ancestry: English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
Religion: Woden, Thunor, Frīg
Soten is a sage.Soten is a sage.Soten is a sage.Soten is a sage.Soten is a sage.Soten is a sage.Soten is a sage.Soten is a sage.Soten is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimobog View Post
Most Americans are very wasteful and toss perfectly good consumer goods away as well as some profitable recyclables like aluminum.
True, many Americans are very wasteful. On the other hand, it is so very American for people to pick up things they find other people to have thrown out and make great use out of them. This thread smacks of Americana.

I've picked up everything from tables, chairs, and sofas off the side of roads. In High School we had a senior room and we needed a couch so I went out and found one sitting on the curb, loaded 'er up, and we used it for the entire school year. I know I have gathered up other things but I can't think of them off the top of my head...I'll get back to ya.

I've definitely grown my own food...green peppers, peas, etc. We even had our own chickens. I once found a crayfish so big that my dad wanted to eat it. It was the size of a lobster. I didn't let him though because I thought it was too special to have killed.

We collected aluminum cans too. We had plenty of those laying around seeing as how my dad continuosly drank. The money doesn't accumulate as fast as I would like but it's something. Another thing is always save change. It really, really adds up over time.

I almost forgot the best road-side discovery of all! My cousin once found a box of puppies on the side of the road in the middle of winter. Unfortunately, most of them didn't survive. But one, Angus as we call him, is still my cousin's dog to this day. He's definitely a mutt, some type of Beagle and Labrador mix. He's really short with long ears and short legs but other than that he looks just like a chocolate lab. And ole Angus is tough as nails too, no doubt due to his rough puppyhood. He's been run over by cars a couple times...doesn't phase him.

OK, if we're going to talk about being thrifty I suppose I should tell this story, even if it is embarrassing. :o

Have you ever noticed that bars tend to throw away liquor bottles when there's still just a little bit left? Well, when I was about 15 I lived in an apartment across the street from a local bar and the bar kept a dumpster in the back behind our apartment. A friend and I decided that since we couldn't regularly acquire alcohol we should just fill up jars with any leftovers from the liquor bottles the bar across the street threw into their dumpster. We would regularly go out back and check for new bottles. If there was one we used a funnel to put the contents into our jar which had a mix of every type of everything by the time we were done. Eventually I made the really dumb mistake of pouring Bailey's into our "cocktail" as we called it. So there we were with weeks of thrown-out liquor saved up and a little bit of putrid milk and cream floating around in it.

Well, we didn't feel like wasting it so we drank it down anyway.

Probably the weirdest thing I've ever "salvaged".
Soten is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soten For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, February 23rd, 2008   #6
Berrocscir

Ethnicity: English
Ancestry: Oxon, Bucks and Ulster
State: Wessex
Politics: Nationalism, Neoreactionary
Religion: God the father
Berrocscir is noble of speech.Berrocscir is noble of speech.Berrocscir is noble of speech.

I buy as much second-hand stuff as I can...
Old Saturday, February 23rd, 2008   #7
ladybright
hearthtender
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Swedish/Irish
Ancestry: Swedish Irish ?English?
State: Michigan
Family: Married parent
Politics: Classical liberal
Religion: Heathen
ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.ladybright is a deity.

Saving your money for youself and your family is important. It is interesting that many things that save money are also good for you and the enviroment. Less waste, packaging and time sitting. I breastfeed, do almost all of my cooking from scratch, buy good clothes from thriftstores, reuse and have salvaged. We have used cloth diapers and I am ordering them for my son. I use the county library system for books, CDs and videos. We make presents for much of the winter giftgiving.
I recomend the Complete Tightwad Gazette very highly. Most library systems seem to have a copy or two.
ladybright is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybright For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, February 23rd, 2008   #8
Deary
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Deary has disabled reputation

If there is any furniture needed for the house, blankets, plates, pillows, combs, etc. I buy it at the antique shop. Of course, not the high-end, expensive antique shops located downtown, but the ones where you can haggle an item down to almost nothing. I recently got an white French desk for only 79 dollars, a tall bookshelf for 40 dollars, and a set of silverware for only 10 dollars. The cheap prices make redecorating an easy task. Within a year I have practically given this house an entirely new look with plenty of function. Antique shops are perfect places to shop for original gifts.
Deary is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deary For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, February 26th, 2008   #9
Zimobog
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Second-hand stores are great... My wife and I want to start one when I retire since I know how to fix common furniture "issues" and she loves second-hand clothes.

My best find this week: a Reader's Digest custom console VI. Giant cabinet with soild state speakers, plays 8-track, vinyl, and AM/FM. Looks and sounds great! I have 100 8-tracks to play in it, loads of old records... The previous owner let me take some vinyl from his stash, so I now have Venom "Welcome to Hell" on original wax, Raven "All for One", Mercyful Fate "Melissa", one by Cirith Ungol and one by Manowar I can't recall the names of. Now my Graveland records won't be lonely!

Price: Zero dollars, come pick it all up.
Old Wednesday, February 27th, 2008   #10
SwordOfTheVistula

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: 50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
Subrace: Nordid
State: Virginia
Family: Single adult
Politics: Libertarian
Religion: Atheist
SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.SwordOfTheVistula 's wisdom is legendary.

Craigslist is great, especially the 'free' section. Lots of people have old furniture they want to get rid of, especially when moving, so if you have a way to lift and transport furniture you can get a lot of furniture for free. I got my desk, bedroom shelves/dresser, and couches that way. Thrift shops have a lot of good clothes too.
SwordOfTheVistula is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwordOfTheVistula For This Useful Post: