Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Pets & Animals
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pets & Animals Forum for pet owners and animal enthusiasts. Dedicated to the discussion of pets, pet care, training, health and other pet-related topics.

What Sort of Exotic Pet Would You Adopt?

Old Friday, September 16th, 2016   #1
Huginn ok Muninn
Anachronism
Witenagemot
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Germanic
Ancestry: Germany, Norway, England
Subrace: Nordeby
State: Texas
Zodiac Sign: Leo
Personality: INTJ (The Mastermind)
Family: Single adult
Politics: Farther right than you.
Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.

What Sort of Exotic Pet Would You Adopt?

If you could have an out-of-the-ordinary pet, what sort would you get? I'd love to get a Caracal one day, if I had the space, time, and money.

Caracal

Caracal @ Orange Valley B&B

Dave Salmoni Scares Jimmy Kimmel

(Go to 4m30s)

They always say they make terrible pets, but look at these overgrown pussycats:

vipleo breeders
Old Saturday, September 17th, 2016   #2
SpearBrave
Proffessional Hickerbilly
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: American of German decent
Ancestry: Germany/ Switzerland
Personality: ENFP (The Champion)
Family: alone
Politics: Self-Reliance
Religion: Asatru
SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.

There are several I would like to have. A Bobcat, a Fox, or a Bear. I see Bobcats and Foxes around here all the time. There was a slim chance I could have gotten a whole litter of Bobcat kittens. Their mother got killed by a car, the state wildlife officers beat me to them. She was using an abandoned one room school house as a den. I knew there was a den in that old building cause I kept seeing her around the place all the time. I left them alone, but since she got killed I would have taken them in.

Here is a pet North American Bobcat.

Wild bobcat in my house

a pet fox

Red fox behaving around pizza

a pet Bear

Brutus Bear at Swiming Pool
Old Saturday, September 17th, 2016   #3
Wulfram

Ethnicity: Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
Subrace: Nordid
Politics: Far Right
Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.Wulfram 's judgement is sought by kings.

Pangolin, Shoebill bird, Platypus
Wulfram is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wulfram For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, September 17th, 2016   #4
Englisc

Ethnicity: English
Ancestry: Anglo-Celt
Subrace: Atlantid
State: Yorkshire
Family: Youth
Politics: Conservative, Nationalist
Religion: Lapsed Catholic
Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.

In some Amazonian tribes monkeys are taken as pets. They assist their human owners, eg, breaking open nuts.

I actually wonder why taking other primates as pets hasn't caught on more. Are they difficult to take care of? I could imagine them getting disruptive in a household especially when they grow bigger.
Englisc is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Englisc For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, September 17th, 2016   #5
Huginn ok Muninn
Anachronism
Witenagemot
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Germanic
Ancestry: Germany, Norway, England
Subrace: Nordeby
Zodiac Sign: Leo
Personality: INTJ (The Mastermind)
Politics: Farther right than you.
Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englisc View Post
In some Amazonian tribes monkeys are taken as pets. They assist their human owners, eg, breaking open nuts.

I actually wonder why taking other primates as pets hasn't caught on more. Are they difficult to take care of? I could imagine them getting disruptive in a household especially when they grow bigger.

When I was ten years old, I had a neighbor with a monkey. They are extremely obnoxious and troublesome. Just imagine having a miniature niglet in your house, only with much more dexterity and energy. Then there is the woman who got her face torn off by the chimpanzee... again, one could draw a behavior comparison to young negro thugs.
Old Saturday, September 17th, 2016   #6
Catterick

Ethnicity: Mixed Germanic and Celtic
Ancestry: British Isles & Scandinavia
Subrace: Borreby x Nordic
State: Mercia
Religion: Life-centred, Pagan Unitarian
Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.

Monkeys are loud and troublesome given free reign in someone's home: they cannot be caged. Callitrichids are most popular but they come down regularly witb a mysterious wasting disease unless fed gum (xanthan gum in zoos) with added roughage such as crushed sunflower seeds to simulate the wood they accidently ingest in the wild.

Some people end up keep them in a tropical house so they can free roam, however they raid bird nests unless it is something like motmots which make their nests impenetrable. There is also the danger of the monkeys drowning if there is a pond, otherwise they get on fine with just about any other animal too big to kill. Exception: tamarins are more aggressive than the marmosets and callimico. Little pygmy marmosets do not seem to be nest raiders but are most difficult to feed.

I used to know people who owned callitrichids and (illegally) squirrel monkeys. They make great companions but are not "pets". And caracals are tamable.
Catterick is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catterick For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, September 17th, 2016   #7
Catterick

Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.

Which kinds of exotic pet - fantasy zoo tier or the kind you can buy at large pet stores? A lot of which are now domesticated like corn snakes. Americans even think Mongolian gerbils and chinchillas are exotic pets. But if I had to choose realistically then surely a fennec, a short clawed otter or a palm civet - I think. Always was partial to river rays as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catterick For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, September 27th, 2016   #8
GKGhost
Account Inactive

Ethnicity: German
State: North Rhine-Westphalia
Politics: Not one of the sheep
Religion: Not one of the sheep
GKGhost 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huginn ok Muninn View Post
When I was ten years old, I had a neighbor with a monkey. They are extremely obnoxious and troublesome. Just imagine having a miniature niglet in your house, only with much more dexterity and energy. Then there is the woman who got her face torn off by the chimpanzee... again, one could draw a behavior comparison to young negro thugs.
Most clowns that have monkeys are the sort that really shouldn't own a fruit fly as a pet yet alone something complexly intelligent. They're the same sort of "geniuses" that think wolf-dog hybrids and large wild cat breeds make wonderful pets.

I have a friend with a Capuchin monkey. The animal is alarmingly intelligent and definitely beyond the skills of an average pet owner. Good thing as a wildlife & animal rescue shelter manager, one that handles even big cats, he isn't an average pet owner. But this little fact is even more so nowadays when a growing number of pet owners I find can't even handle a dog.

Hmm... chimps are apes a related but completely different species to monkeys by the way.
GKGhost is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GKGhost For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, September 27th, 2016   #9
GKGhost
Account Inactive

Ethnicity: German
State: North Rhine-Westphalia
Politics: Not one of the sheep
Religion: Not one of the sheep
GKGhost 's reputation has not travelled afar.

I already own one. A Northern Goshawk under a falconer's license. My uncle is a falconer, I trained with him, and Balthazar was raised as a chick.

Aside from that, I worked at a wildlife and animal rescue center. We got plenty of exotic "pets". Jesus, an African male lion, was no pet but that didn't mean he didn't want to be petted by his handlers.
GKGhost is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GKGhost For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, November 22nd, 2016   #10
Catterick

I am used to handling birds of prey. And chimps are monkeys. Hominoidea nests within Simia.

"Pinks Stroll" Join a West African Gaboon as she has a crawl about.

Elvis: Rampage Edition

Kermit Raids the Coop