Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Parenthood & Family
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parenthood & Family Preserving our heritage through our future.

View Poll Results: Do you live alone or with your family?
I live alone 3 27.27%
I share accommodation with (a )roommate/(s) 1 9.09%
I live with my parents 1 9.09%
I live with my grandparents 0 0%
I live with my partner/spouse 6 54.55%
Single parent 0 0%
Other (specify) 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Living Alone vs. With Family

Old Tuesday, May 24th, 2016   #1
Englisc

Ethnicity: English
Ancestry: Anglo-Celt
Subrace: Atlantid
State: Yorkshire
Family: Youth
Politics: Conservative, Nationalist
Religion: Lapsed Catholic
Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.

Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangements for 18-34

Quote:

Broad demographic shifts in marital status, educational attainment and employment have transformed the way young adults in the U.S. are living, and a new Pew Research Center analysis of census data highlights the implications of these changes for the most basic element of their lives – where they call home. In 2014, for the first time in more than 130 years, adults ages 18 to 34 were slightly more likely to be living in their parents’ home than they were to be living with a spouse or partner in their own household. 1

This turn of events is fueled primarily by the dramatic drop in the share of young Americans who are choosing to settle down romantically before age 35. Dating back to 1880, the most common living arrangement among young adults has been living with a romantic partner, whether a spouse or a significant other. This type of arrangement peaked around 1960, when 62% of the nation’s 18- to 34-year-olds were living with a spouse or partner in their own household, and only one-in-five were living with their parents. 2

By 2014, 31.6% of young adults were living with a spouse or partner in their own household, below the share living in the home of their parent(s) (32.1%). Some 14% of young adults were heading up a household in which they lived alone, were a single parent or lived with one or more roommates. The remaining 22% lived in the home of another family member (such as a grandparent, in-law or sibling), a non-relative, or in group quarters (college dormitories fall into this category).

read more http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016/...-34-year-olds/
Englisc is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Englisc For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, May 24th, 2016   #2
SaxonCeorl

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
SaxonCeorl is noble of speech.SaxonCeorl is noble of speech.

They should separate out the university age students; there's a big difference between the ability to live on your own while in school vs. out of school.

That said, I hope the stigma of living with parents/family as an adult goes away. It's actually pretty antisocial and unhealthy in that (a) it makes the notion of separating from your family seem like a good thing, and (b) it's part of a larger system in which people try to appear superior via financial and material attainment.

I lived at home until I was 28 and saved a ton of money.
SaxonCeorl is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SaxonCeorl For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, May 24th, 2016   #3
Hersir
Hundhedensk
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Håløyg
Ancestry: Norway
Subrace: Nordid
Y-DNA: I2b1
mtDNA: J2a1a1b
State: Nordland
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Personality: INTP (The Architect)
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Galactic Lebensraum
Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.

Multi-generation housing were the norm for almost all the modern human history, I don't really have anything against it.
Hersir is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, May 25th, 2016   #4
Elessar
Cascadian
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Deutsch
Subrace: Paleo-Atlantid
State: Oregon
Personality: INTJ (The Mastermind)
Politics: Traditionalism
Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.Elessar 's judgement is sought by kings.

I draw the line when living with your parents means being a perpetual man-child and contributing nothing to the household or society at large beyond your menial job that allows you to meagerly subsist parasitically off the natural good will your your elders. Living with parents because you're in between life stages or is mutually beneficial to both parties is entirely acceptable.
Elessar is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elessar For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, May 25th, 2016   #5
Englisc

Ethnicity: English
Ancestry: Anglo-Celt
Subrace: Atlantid
State: Yorkshire
Family: Youth
Politics: Conservative, Nationalist
Religion: Lapsed Catholic
Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.Englisc is considered wise by the elders.

Well, I'm still living with my grandma and plan to do so until after university. Most other folks have moved away to student accommodation, but here I am...

I prefer it this way. First, because of my condition, it's harder to be independent and I'm not at that stage yet. Secondly, my grandma gets the rent paid via housing benefit, so I'm not paying any rent at all - saving £1000s. Only downside is it takes some time, at best half an hour, to drive to Leeds.
Englisc is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, February 16th, 2017   #6
Out of Germania
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.

Living Alone vs. With Family

Check the option that fits best.

I've noticed a trend for young adults (20-30) not to leave home and stay with their parents or grandparents.

How old is too old to still be living with your parents?

If you live with your parents or grandparents do you contribute financially or with chores, do you help out? Maybe you are the one accommodating your parents?

If you left home, what age was that and what is the ideal age to start living in your own home?

These are the stages described by someone in the US:

Quote:
0–18 for reasons that should appear obvious. There are cases where kids move out early, of course, but everyone would agree that before 18, living with ones parents is common and expected.

18–24 where the kids are in college and either live in the town they attend college or they come home on breaks, maintaining their permanent residence as their parents’ house. Or maybe they've started contributing financially to the household if they aren't going to a formal training/university. Maybe they're establishing themselves without a heavy financial burden such as rent so they are able to more focus on what they want to do instead of what they have to do to make ends meat. They could also, on the other side of the coin, be freeloading or lazy. Under certain circumstances it may be time to reality check and claim “you're too old to live at home”. For the most part, taken completely out of context, 24 and under doesn't raise eyebrows.

25+: I think 25 is the beginning of a societal expectation of independence. For most regularly developing post-adolescents I would imagine most parents expect the same. At least in the United States. It's a somewhat unspoken rule. Just listen to a 26 year old justify why he's “still” living at home with his parents. The speaker is assuming the listener is forming a judgment about them and they want to make a quick caveat to say, “I know what you're thinking but I'm different because…” Part 2: I didn't give a range because life is so crazy and unpredictable. And for the most part, again just assuming, health problems in parents come on when kids are older. Like after 25. Again, average. Children live with parents during a terminal illness or help with final affairs. And this can happen at any point, as we all know. Maybe even the parents move in with the children.
Out of Germania is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Out of Germania For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, March 24th, 2017   #7
Blod og Jord
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Danish
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Nationalism
Religion: Odinism
Blod og Jord is considered wise by the elders.Blod og Jord is considered wise by the elders.Blod og Jord is considered wise by the elders.Blod og Jord is considered wise by the elders.Blod og Jord is considered wise by the elders.Blod og Jord is considered wise by the elders.

I live with my partner.

My thoughts on living with parents, it's ok, only as long as everyone shares some chores and costs.

Some teenagers treat it as if it were a hotel and their parents the slaves. It's disrespectful.
I've seen some documentaries about British teenagers, who drop out of school, have no job and expect their parents to fund their lifestyle. Shocking.
Blod og Jord is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote