Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Psychology, Behavior & Neuroscience
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Psychology, Behavior & Neuroscience Forum dedicated to the mental processes and behavior, the emotional and behavioral characteristics or attitude of an individual or group and all phenomena of the mind, the conscious self and beyond.

Do Germans Stare at Strangers?

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Coillearnach

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Ancestry: Anglo-Celtic
Family: Married
Politics: Nativism/Nationalism
Religion: Summum bonum
Coillearnach 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Coillearnach 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Coillearnach 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

Quote:
So my question is, do you think something like a “German stare” really exists?
Nope, not at all. If anything I find that Germans try not to stare or make lingering eye contact. Want a people with a stare? Northern Slavs, they have a cold, blank, shark-like stare for absolutely everyone they don't know.

Quote:
And what are your personal experiences with it?
I've spent quite a bit of time in Germany in all but the northwest and I never encountered this except when my American friends and I were making a ruckus.
Coillearnach is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Gareth Lee Hunter

Ethnicity: English/German American
Ancestry: England and Germany
State: Indiana
Politics: Not a Republicrat.
Religion: Nondenominational Christian
Gareth Lee Hunter has earned the respect of peers.

I don't stare rudely at strangers. But I do discreetly observe their behavior due to my heightened sense of SA.
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Sigurd
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
Subrace: Borreby + Atlantonordoid
Zodiac Sign: Libra
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Natural Order.
Religion: Odinist
Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.

Skadi Award: Being the most prestigious award on Skadi Forum, the Skadi Award is bestowed upon those who, being outstanding contributors of particular importance, have been long standing supporters of Skadi Forum and its community, in good and in bad times. - Issue reason: Excellent, original and thought-provoking contributions over a period of several years; outstanding performance as a moderator and active participation in the Staff Forum; repeated defense of Skadi and its staff on Skadi Forum and on other sites. 
We do stare, so what? It just means we're more in touch with our surroundings and more interested in what happens around us than people centering on themselves.

Perhaps it's because Germanics have always been at the same time about the tribe, about the collective, and as such have been in a situation of collective squabbling between tribes, collective unity, or as currently, collective idiocy. In the olden days we'd never know where a hidden foe might sit in the hall, the Havamal even tells us to "be careful, be watchful alway" for precisely that reason.

I find Scandinavians and Dutch also stare to some extent, but it's less noticeable because they're a) less numerous, b) more reserved and c) easily mistaken for a German by someone from the Anglosphere anyway.

(If you extend that Google search, there's actually hundreds of results too that ask "Why to Dutch stare at me?" or "Why do Swedes stare so much?" Q.E.D. )

The fact this unsettles people from the Anglosphere is probably because with the Normans, all types of Frenchification occurred, all this posh-and-proper stuff is basically Norman protocol. This false notion of nobility was later exported with the Empire.

It's not us who stare, it's the Anglophones who've forgotten how to stare. Let's embrace this pan-Germanic heritage of staring and stare at people so long that our local racial others leave by their own accord. Starer's Pride Worldwide, FTW!

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)
Sigurd is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sigurd For This Useful Post:
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Leliana
Herþra

Ancestry: Aus Süddeutschland und Österreich
Subrace: Nordoalpine
State: Bavaria
Politics: Patriotisch; Anti-Islam
Religion: Heidentum
Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.

Today we stare. Later we aim. Then we shoot.

En garde! We train our reflexes, oversight and reactions. The only ones who can start World Wars. Third try, success incoming!?

jk, do we really stare? I don't think we do.
Old 4 Days Ago   #15
Sawyer
aka Krähe, Theodericus

Ethnicity: Anglo-Saxon
Ancestry: British Isles
State: Florida
Politics: Manifest Destiny
Religion: God
Sawyer 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Sawyer 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Sawyer 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Sawyer 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Sawyer 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

My brother lived in Hamburg for almost a year with his German girlfriend. I don't know about staring, but he told me he thought the people looked at you funny just for saying hi as you passed them on the street, and that they were generally kind of rude.
Sawyer is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sawyer For This Useful Post:
Old 13 Hours Ago   #16
Leliana
Herþra

Ancestry: Aus Süddeutschland und Österreich
Subrace: Nordoalpine
State: Bavaria
Politics: Patriotisch; Anti-Islam
Religion: Heidentum
Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
My brother lived in Hamburg for almost a year with his German girlfriend. I don't know about staring, but he told me he thought the people looked at you funny just for saying hi as you passed them on the street, and that they were generally kind of rude.
Uhm, 'Hanseates'/North Sea Germans are usually more calm, reserved and 'cold'. Their natural character is difficult handle...at times.