Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Film, TV, & Performing Arts
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Film, TV, & Performing Arts Discuss cinematic affairs, films/motion pictures/videos, television broadcasts/issues, opera, theater, ballet, dance, etc.

Your Favourite TV Series/Shows

Old Friday, February 3rd, 2017   #381
Haliaeetus

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Donauschwaben
Subrace: Keltic nordid/Alpinid
State: Danube Swabian Community
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Personality: INTJ (The Mastermind)
Family: Single parent
Politics: Politically incorrect
Religion: Heathen
Haliaeetus is a sage.Haliaeetus is a sage.Haliaeetus is a sage.Haliaeetus is a sage.Haliaeetus is a sage.Haliaeetus is a sage.Haliaeetus is a sage.Haliaeetus is a sage.Haliaeetus is a sage.Haliaeetus is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catterick View Post
Excuse my bossiness but I don't even own a television and nor should you.

I don't have a TV. I raid and pillage using torrents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leliana View Post
You'll be elected as Skadi's board seer!

...hopefully not as ugly, though!

Whoever knocks.
Haliaeetus is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haliaeetus For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, February 3rd, 2017   #382
SpearBrave
Proffessional Hickerbilly
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: American of German decent
Ancestry: Germany/ Switzerland
Personality: ENFP (The Champion)
Family: alone
Politics: Self-Reliance
Religion: Asatru
SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

On this subject of the show "Vikings"

Most stories (sagas) have a basic tale to tell and often times there are lessons to be learned. Here a few of the positives I have gathered by just reading this thread.

1.Ragnar hooks up with an asian chick- asian chick gets Ragnar hooked on drugs- Ragnar kills asian chick.- The Moral- don't hook up with asian chicks

2. Helga feels sorry for the poor little muslim girl and "adopts" said muslim girl. Floki tolerates this adoption because he loves Helga. Muslim girl kills Helga and Floki is now very sad.The Moral- don't feel sorry for muslims and don't tolerate any muslims being adopted into your people.

3. Lagertha turns lesbo with Astrid. Astrid then hooks up with Bjorn son of Lagertha. Meanwhile Bjorn's main squeeze gets killed fighting to defend lesbo Lagertha and Astrid. The Moral- same sex couplings are never true and will always end badly for those involved.

So, all in all there are lessons to be learned from this silly series that mostly portrays Vikings as horrible raiders bent on both moral and violent destruction. When in fact most Norse people during the time period were very peaceful farmers and traders, but then again that would not make a exciting modern story to most folks.

When all is said and done, more will be said then done- Billy Joe Merritt- King of Junk Yard Damascus 1952-2016
SpearBrave is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, February 3rd, 2017   #383
Leliana
Herþra

Ancestry: Aus Süddeutschland und Österreich
Subrace: Nordoalpine
State: Bavaria
Politics: Patriotisch; Anti-Islam
Religion: Heidentum
Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearBrave View Post
2. Helga feels sorry for the poor little muslim girl and "adopts" said muslim girl. Floki tolerates this adoption because he loves Helga. Muslim girl kills Helga and Floki is now very sad.The Moral- don't feel sorry for muslims and don't tolerate any muslims being adopted into your people.
This!

And I've some more positive news: Floki won't become a Muslim in season 5.

Why? Two reasons:

1) Floki is alone now, everything he loved is dead. He said he feels like an empty shell and wants to drift to where the gods send him. He is broken inside but it won't lead him on a Muslim path. He has given Helga a traditional Viking/Germanic burial.

2) The Official Sneak peak of upcoming season 5. We can see about which topics season 5 will circulate. Among many frecking interesting themes yet to come like e.g. massive bloodbaths created by Ivar, the few seconds between 0:14 and 0:16 are noteworthy:

Vikings Season 5 Sneak peak trailer

We see Floki there, seemingly all alone, who let himself fall at the coastline of a foreign, cold land with sharp cliffs. The landscape looks somehow familiar...

...because it's the coastline of Iceland!

And so now it's proven: The character of Floki in the series 'Vikings' is build around a historic person, a person in the medieval Icelandic written work 'Landnámabók' about the landgrab of Iceland who went by the name Flóki Vilgerðarson, also known as 'Hrafna-Floki' (Raven-Floki). He was the one who gave Island the name 'Iceland/Island'.

Wikipedia:

Quote:
Flóki Vilgerðarson (b. 9th century) was the first Norseman to deliberately sail to Iceland. His story is documented in the Landnámabók manuscript; however, the precise year of his arrival is not clear. He settled in this new land then known as Garðarshólmi.

From Western Norway he set sail to the Shetland Islands where it is said his daughter drowned. He continued his journey and landed in the Faroe Islands where another of his daughters was wed. There he took three ravens to help him find his way to Iceland, and thus, he was nicknamed Raven-Floki (Norse and Icelandic; Hrafna-Flóki) and he is commonly remembered by that name.

Others making the trip included Thorolf (Þórólfr) and two men named Herjolf and Faxe (Herjólfr and Faxi). After sailing for a while from the Faroes, Floki set one of the ravens free. The first raven flew back to the Faroes; later, the second flew up in the air and back on board, but the third flew northwest and did not return. Floki now knew they were close to land, and so they followed the third raven. After sailing west past Reykjanes they spotted a large bay. Faxi remarked that they seemed to have found great land. The bay facing Reykjavík was therefore known as Faxaflói (—lit. Faxi's bay).

Floki set up a winter camp in Vatnsfjörður at Barðaströnd. The summer was very good, so Floki was ill-prepared for the cold winter that followed. Waiting for the spring, Floki hiked up the highest mountain above his camp, now believed to be Nónfell in Westfjords. From there, he spotted a large fjord; Ísafjörður, then full of drift ice. Thus, he named the entire land Ísland (—Iceland).

When Floki and the other men returned to Norway, they were asked about the newly found land. Floki believed it to be worthless. Herjolf believed that the land had both good and bad qualities. Thorolf claimed that butter was smeared on every straw on the land that they had found. Thorolf was then nicknamed Thorolf Butter (Icelandic; Þórólfur smjör). Despite speaking ill of the land, Floki later returned and settled to live there to his death.
The series makers change some aspects like that Floki came there with his family or with two friends. But 'Vikings' makes often compromises in timeline and historic precision for the sake of entertainment.

Aww, and we will see historic Bishop Heahmund as a new antagonist for the Vikings in England.

When he...uhm, shagged ...that widow at the end of the episode he had a sword near his bed, with the imprinting 'Ananyzapta' on it. The real meaning of this word is unknown to historians but there are certain things known with this imprinting. German Wikipedia says:

Quote:
Ananizapta is a medieval inscription, which was supposed to ward off disaster, but its interpretation has not yet been achieved. According to an interpretation by Ingolstadt researcher Dr. Werner Karl, it is said: "Cursed be the devil by the baptism of John." For the first time it is in a Erfurt manuscript from the year 1349. The inscription is to be found among other things on two city gates in Ingolstadt, the Middleham Jewel in the Nationalmuseum York, a silver necklace from the early 16th century in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, The great bells of Ulm's Münster, and a ring Goethe received in 1794.
Season 5. Will. Be. Interesting.
Leliana is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leliana For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, February 3rd, 2017   #384
notheywillnot

Ethnicity: Icelandic
Ancestry: Icelandic & Scandinavian
Subrace: Skandonordid with minor CM
State: Reykjavik
Family: Youth
notheywillnot has earned the respect of peers.

I've watched all kinds of stuff. When I was young circa 12 - 16 I was super into Sci-Fi. I watched all of the Star Trek series except for Enterprise, Watched the first 8 seasons of Classic Doctor Who and the first 5 seasons of the new. Lost interest in Sci-fi a while back. Game of thrones is okay but I mostly just watch what I can access on TV today.

Despite my big interest in vikings I have yet to watch Vikings.
notheywillnot is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to notheywillnot For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, February 3rd, 2017   #385
GroeneWolf
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Dutch
Subrace: Don't know
State: Utrecht
Family: Single adult
Religion: Germanic Heathendom
GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.

Quote:
And I've some more positive news: Floki won't become a Muslim in season 5.
If he did, it would be no less then character assassination by the writers. And probably a reason to say the show goodbye.
- Sir Richard Steele
GroeneWolf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GroeneWolf For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, February 7th, 2017   #386
SaxonCeorl

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
SaxonCeorl is noble of speech.SaxonCeorl is noble of speech.

The Young Pope is pretty good.

Pius XIII Addresses the Cardinals

SaxonCeorl is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #387
Leliana
Herþra

Ancestry: Aus Süddeutschland und Österreich
Subrace: Nordoalpine
State: Bavaria
Politics: Patriotisch; Anti-Islam
Religion: Heidentum
Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.Leliana is a sage.

Second season of 'The Last Kingdom' is running atm. Really watchable but 'Vikings' is better. Kind of strange and odd to see the development of the Anglo-Saxons and their 'interactions' with the Vikings from the other (English) perspective. Uthred and King Alfred time.

The Last Kingdom Season 2 Trailer
Old 1 Week Ago   #388
Aviator

Ethnicity: Danish
Politics: Right Wing
Religion: Agnostic
Aviator 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Quote:
Second season of 'The Last Kingdom' is running atm. Really watchable but 'Vikings' is better. Kind of strange and odd to see the development of the Anglo-Saxons and their 'interactions' with the Vikings from the other (English) perspective. Uthred and King Alfred time.
This actually looks quite interesting!! Vikings is also my favorite show, but I need something to fill the void until the next season... Pretty cool that Floki is going to discover Iceland!

Also, hi Leliana!! So this is where you went. I really need to post more. I've been too much of a lurker.
Aviator is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aviator For This Useful Post:
Old 6 Days Ago   #389
The Aesthete

Ethnicity: Anglo-Australian
Politics: Nordish Preservationist
The Aesthete is considered wise by the elders.The Aesthete is considered wise by the elders.The Aesthete is considered wise by the elders.The Aesthete is considered wise by the elders.The Aesthete is considered wise by the elders.The Aesthete is considered wise by the elders.The Aesthete is considered wise by the elders.

Another thumbs up for 'The Last Kingdom'. I actually prefer it to the 'Vikings' as it seems to be pushing less ideas. My favourite is 'Game of Thrones' and I'm hanging out for the new season.

White Oleander
The Aesthete is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #390
Juthunge
Let justice be done, though the heavens may fall.
Herþra

Subrace: Keltic Nordid-CM
Personality: INTJ/INTP
Religion: GNON
Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.Juthunge is a sage.

Vikings was amusing in the beginning but it deteriorated rapidly over the course of the series.
I know, that in many aspects we lack sources about these times and it invites for some speculation/artistic freedom to make for a wholesome series. But the historical inaccuracies are simply too strong for my taste and at times outright contradict anything we know for certain.

I almost stopped watching already during the first series, when I realised that their Norse aren’t supposed to know the British Isles and Anglo-Saxons likewise don’t know the Norse.

The wargear, especially, armour, of the Anglo-Saxons is entirely wrong and so are the feeble “tactics” on both sides. Shieldwalls with both flanks open? Natural instinct alone would dictate, that warriors stream along the flanks of the shieldwall and butcher them from behind, instead of running mindlessly into it from the front. It doesn’t even need conscious tactics for that. The three riders alone would have sufficed for it.

But even as they are already entangled, no one tries to go around the flanks:

Most other battle scenes I’ve seen of it are equally inaccurate.
So are the countless shield maidens, who, apparently are as normal as male warriors and appear almost equally frequent.
Shield maidens probably existed but as a handful of individuals transgressing gender boundaries, “with the bodies of women and souls of men” and not as whole armies of women and even under the command of women.

The quasi-dictatorial government style of Earl Haraldson contradicts anything we know about the early Norse and there’s no reason to believe they would’ve put up with it instead of simply deserting him or other tyrannical leaders in the series for not fulfilling their oaths to them.

The amount of treachery and the fact, that it doesn’t seem to have any negative effects on reputation in a culture based on personal honour, is ridiculous.
So is the depicted sexual decadency. The Norse were no altar boys, especially with thralls but the degree to which they sleep around with free men and women, often betrothed, is simply beyond any truth.

Not to speak of the fact, that much of the clothing is way too “LARP” also. I could go on like this endlessly.
The final straw, however, was the Chinese slave who, on top of it all, turned out to be a daughter of the Chinese Emperor and made Ragnar an addicted drug junkie.

I didn’t even make a conscious choice to stop watching the series after that, I simply forgot about it because it made me cringe. Which I don’t think has ever happened before with me, usually you want to know how it proceeds even in the worst series. If only for the cliff hangers. But not with Vikings.

The Last Kingdom is somewhat better but has similar authenticity problems and strikes me as a little boring, compared to the books by Bernard Cornwell on which the series is based on.
Admittedly though, it’s always hard for a series to live up to the expectations of someone who has read the source books, so I am quite biased here. I should probably rewatch it and give it another chance.

The books are highly recommendable, by the way and are, by a long shot, the best historical novels I’ve ever read.
Another of Cornwell's book series has already been adapted for TV in the 90s. The special effects are a little dated for current tastes but it’s still worth watching:

My favourite series is also GoT, it probably doesn’t have to be explained for anyone that ever watched it.
Besides, being set in a fantasy setting, they can do little wrong in regards to authenticity anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juthunge For This Useful Post: