Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Parenthood & Family
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parenthood & Family Preserving our heritage through our future.

View Poll Results: Do you live alone or with your family?
I live alone 2 33.33%
I share accommodation with (a )roommate/(s) 1 16.67%
I live with my parents 1 16.67%
I live with my grandparents 0 0%
I live with my partner/spouse 2 33.33%
Single parent 0 0%
Other (specify) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Live Alone or with Your Family?

Old 5 Days Ago   #1
Out of Germania
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Out of Germania 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

Do You Live Alone or with Your Family?

Check the option that fits best.

I've noticed a trend for young adults (20-30) not to leave home and stay with their parents or grandparents.

How old is too old to still be living with your parents?

If you live with your parents or grandparents do you contribute financially or with chores, do you help out? Maybe you are the one accommodating your parents?

If you left home, what age was that and what is the ideal age to start living in your own home?

These are the stages described by someone in the US:

Quote:
0–18 for reasons that should appear obvious. There are cases where kids move out early, of course, but everyone would agree that before 18, living with ones parents is common and expected.

18–24 where the kids are in college and either live in the town they attend college or they come home on breaks, maintaining their permanent residence as their parents’ house. Or maybe they've started contributing financially to the household if they aren't going to a formal training/university. Maybe they're establishing themselves without a heavy financial burden such as rent so they are able to more focus on what they want to do instead of what they have to do to make ends meat. They could also, on the other side of the coin, be freeloading or lazy. Under certain circumstances it may be time to reality check and claim “you're too old to live at home”. For the most part, taken completely out of context, 24 and under doesn't raise eyebrows.

25+: I think 25 is the beginning of a societal expectation of independence. For most regularly developing post-adolescents I would imagine most parents expect the same. At least in the United States. It's a somewhat unspoken rule. Just listen to a 26 year old justify why he's “still” living at home with his parents. The speaker is assuming the listener is forming a judgment about them and they want to make a quick caveat to say, “I know what you're thinking but I'm different because…” Part 2: I didn't give a range because life is so crazy and unpredictable. And for the most part, again just assuming, health problems in parents come on when kids are older. Like after 25. Again, average. Children live with parents during a terminal illness or help with final affairs. And this can happen at any point, as we all know. Maybe even the parents move in with the children.
Out of Germania is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Out of Germania For This Useful Post: