Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 40,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 300 topic forums and browse from over 700,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Extinct Germanic Groups
Register FAQ Rules Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Extinct Germanic Groups Dedicated to general historical, social, linguistic, political and cultural topics pertinent to any of the various Germanic groups that have gone extinct.

The Burgundians

Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #21
Dunkeld

Ethnicity: German
Subrace: Alpinid
State: Baden-Wuerttemberg
Family: Married parent
Politics: liberal
Religion: open for everything
Dunkeld is noble of speech.Dunkeld is noble of speech.

There is one question nobody could answer me yet:

I wonder whether there are any traces in place names or family names in Burgundy that go back tu the Germanic Burgundians.
Dunkeld is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dunkeld For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #22
Psychonaut

Ethnicity: Acadian
State: Pennsylvania
Politics: Old Stock Nativism
Religion: Heathen Theosophy
Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkeld
I wonder whether there are any traces in place names or family names in Burgundy that go back tu the Germanic Burgundians.
Certainly. Many people in Switzerland and France who bear the Savoy surname are descended from the House of Savoy and are partly of Burgundian ancestry. Although the Savoys were originally Frankish, the mixed heavily with the Burgundians and Lombards. That's the only surname in my family that we're sure traces to the Burgundians. I have suspicions that there are others, but I'm not sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psychonaut For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #23
Dunkeld

Subrace: Alpinid
State: Baden-Wuerttemberg
Family: Married parent
Politics: liberal
Religion: open for everything
Dunkeld is noble of speech.Dunkeld is noble of speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
Many people in Switzerland and France who bear the Savoy surname are descended from the House of Savoy and are partly of Burgundian ancestry.
Thank you for this Info!

My question would still be:

Is "Savoy" an old Burgundian word? And are there other traces of the Burgundian language in family names and place names?
Dunkeld is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dunkeld For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #24
Psychonaut

Ethnicity: Acadian
State: Pennsylvania
Politics: Old Stock Nativism
Religion: Heathen Theosophy
Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.Psychonaut is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkeld View Post
Is "Savoy" an old Burgundian word? And are there other traces of the Burgundian language in family names and place names?
According to this site:

Quote:
In 380, the Roman historian Ammianus Marcellinus (c. 330 - c. 400) coined the word Sabaudia, or Sapaudia, which is the origin of the name of Savoy. However, the meaning of the word Sabaudia and the exact limits of the region, as meant Ammianus, are unknown.
Looking at a list of the Kings of Burgundy, their names were very similar to the Old Frankish names that the Merovingians and Carolingians bore. I imagine that in the absence of a genealogy that goes back to a known Burgundian, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to determine whether a given name derives from Burgundian or Frankish. There are a great many French surnames that have Germanic roots, but when trying to distinguish between extinct languages like Frankish and Burgundian for which there are no written sources, it quickly becomes impossible to classify some names as anything more than Continental Germanic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psychonaut For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, January 6th, 2009   #25
asulf

Ancestry: Alaman and wisigoth
Subrace: Nordid
Family: divorced
Politics: center right
Religion: asatru forn sidr
asulf 's reputation has not travelled afar.

hi
i live near Savoy, or the savoyards are d burgonde origin as the mother of my childrens my (ex) wife she is a savoyarde (i'm divorced) of Scandinavian type, very marked there is an ethnic type
and lives a dialect a local idiom Perfectly inteligible for a Swiss, this regionale language(tongue), certainly arises from peoples alamans and burgondes a mix more than likely these peoples in questions having made origin(stump) in the region
J takes advantage of it in the passage to greet you my brothers and sisters Germanic, because if I lived in France or add us no more than 22 % of the French people in Germanic origin franks or alamans And not easy here d to assert his identity and its roots
But stemming from wild warriors I fight

i have a dream... in the sky, a city............Asgard
asulf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote