Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Germanic Europe & Outlying Islands > Scotland
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Scotland Dedicated to general historical, social, linguistic, political and cultural topics pertinent to the Scottish.

Study Reveals 'Extraordinary' DNA of People in Scotland

Old Tuesday, April 24th, 2012   #11
Angus
Staff
Herþra

Ethnicity: Scottish
Ancestry: Normans, Anglo-Saxons, Celts and Prussians
Subrace: Nordid / Dalofaelid
Politics: Common Sense
Religion: Folkish Heathen
Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemish View Post
Maybe the varied background of the Scottish is due to admixture which took place during the Roman occupation of Britain.
Admixture? As in what the above article was saying? Hah, I don't think so . The largest source of admixture in Scotland was due to the introduction of the Gaels and Vikings who intermingled with the Caledonians. In later years the Anglo-Saxons and Normans were added into the mix.

Quote:
Only one in ten of the soldiers stationed in Britain were of Roman extraction. Most were from other parts of the their empire.
I don't know what your source is, but the percentage of non-Romans in the Legions that were deployed to Scotland is far too high. I have no doubt that the Romans recruited men from their outlaying provinces, especially since Scotland was considered to be the “Edge of the world” and not many people would want to risk going there, but having them make up 90% of the Legions is a very exaggerated amount; 20%-30% would be more realistic and historically accurate.

It’s not like it really matters though, since anyone in service of the Romans would not have been allowed to live, nonetheless setle in Scotland. The Caledonians loathed the Romans and their culture, with good reason too.
Angus is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angus For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, April 24th, 2012   #12
flemish

Ethnicity: American
Subrace: Nordid
State: Massachusetts
Family: Having a longtime compani
Politics: conservative
Religion: agnostic
flemish has earned the respect of peers.

Right back at ya babe! Well, historians will tell you that your average soldier in Britain back then was not Roman, but from another part of the Empire. They were there for hundreds of years, so they must have left their genetic imprint on the Celtic population which wasn't only in the periphery of the Isles, as they are today. By the way, love your smile.
flemish is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday, April 24th, 2012   #13
Thorolf

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
State: Maryland
Religion: My religious ways are odd.
Thorolf is noble of speech.Thorolf is noble of speech.Thorolf is noble of speech.

skimmed through my guess would be they checked people living in scotland and not just the native people of scotland. Or they were checking people of recently mixed ancestry.
Thorolf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday, April 25th, 2012   #14
Angus
Staff
Herþra

Ethnicity: Scottish
Ancestry: Normans, Anglo-Saxons, Celts and Prussians
Subrace: Nordid / Dalofaelid
Politics: Common Sense
Religion: Folkish Heathen
Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.Angus is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemish View Post
Right back at ya babe! Well, historians will tell you that your average soldier in Britain back then was not Roman, but from another part of the Empire.
Then surely it won't be too difficult to find us a source, because I certainly cannot find anything regarding your percentage. Don't get me wrong, I know for a fact that the Roman's had non-Romans serving in Britain, that's a given. It's just the percentage you gave that's much too high to believe; 9/10. Like I said earlier, 2-3/10 is probably more accurate, but I wouldn't be shocked with 3-6/10. Also, don't forget that many of the Legions consisted of Gauls and Germans

Quote:
They were there for hundreds of years, so they must have left their genetic imprint on the Celtic population which wasn't only in the periphery of the Isles, as they are today.
England and Wales? Sure thing, look at Rowan Atkinson for example. He's fully English. Scotland? No. Roman Britain eventually comprised of the entire island except Scotland. Like I said in a previous post, the Caledonians loathed all things Roman. They didn't tolerate Roman rule or culture and they certainly wouldn't have allowed the Romans to settle in their lands. The Caledonians (Picts) proved that to the history books by being the only people to not be conquered by the Romans.
Quote:
By the way, love your smile.
Thanks, I brush daily .
Angus is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday, April 25th, 2012   #15
Fridolin
Account Inactive

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: German and Swiss
Family: Single adult
Fridolin 's reputation has not travelled afar.

I'd like to see them compare this "extraordinary genetic diversity" which the Scots supposedly possess to that of Turks, Hungarians, Sicilians or even the French. Then it wouldn't be so extraordinary anymore, I daresay.
Fridolin is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fridolin For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, April 25th, 2012   #16
Hans Ole Olsen

Ethnicity: Anglo-Saxon
Ancestry: Netherlands Germany Danmark England
Subrace: Don't know
Politics: Science
Religion: Ignosticism
Hans Ole Olsen 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Profit motivated sensationalist news stations are the middle man between actual scientific study and the reader? Why does that always end poorly, I wonder. Personally, I'd like to wait until Edinburgh University's Dr Jim Wilson releases something himself.

But I question his bias with his contribution to such shows as: "Is it better to be mixed-race?"
Hans Ole Olsen is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hans Ole Olsen For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, April 30th, 2012   #17
Oski
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: English-German
Ancestry: Ingvaeones & Irminones
Subrace: Faelid + Nordid
State: California
Politics: Libertarian
Religion: Agnostic, Heathen
Oski is considered wise by the elders.Oski is considered wise by the elders.Oski is considered wise by the elders.Oski is considered wise by the elders.Oski is considered wise by the elders.Oski is considered wise by the elders.Oski is considered wise by the elders.Oski is considered wise by the elders.

Even if this is true, couldn't we use this to say "here, we are already diverse ENOUGH without immigration!"

Oski is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oski For This Useful Post: