Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > General Anthropology > Cultural Anthropology
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cultural Anthropology The comparative study of cultures and civilizations.

Scandinavians and the "Germanic" Nomenclature

Old Friday, April 30th, 2010   #61
Holt

Ethnicity: Norwegian
Family: Youth
Holt 's reputation has not travelled afar.

As has been noted by several other people here, the connotations of "Germanic" are mainly linguistic and historic, and bear little meaning otherwise. To most people, "Germanic" won't have any connection with the Germans.

In politically correct speech, you would rarely refer to "Germanics as a whole" anyway. More often you speak of the Germanic languages and the countries where they are spoken, but this would be in a linguistic context, not a social or political one.

As a Norwegian I feel more Nordic than European, since our contact with continental Europe has been minimal. Danes—and perhaps Swedes to a lesser extent—will probably have a different relationship to continental Europe and a "European" identity. With regards to a Germanic identity, I'd agree with the others above that this will very rarely be explicitly stated, but rather exist on a deeper level. The similarities in language and looks are significant and do probably affect people's judgment more than they are aware of.
Holt is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holt For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, April 30th, 2010   #62
Mouse Shadow

Ethnicity: Anglo-Australian
Ancestry: England
State: Queensland
Politics: Has Left Skadi
Religion: Has Left Skadi
Mouse Shadow 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Mouse Shadow 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Mouse Shadow 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Mouse Shadow 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
This is a qustion for Scandinavians on this forum, but others can answer as well if they are knowledgeable on the topic.

Do Scandinavians look down on the term "Germanic"? Do they identify as "Germanic" or do they avoid this term because it reminds them of Germans? Which term is most commonly used in Scandinavia to refer to Germanics as a whole? I know of the existence of words like "nordisk" but I am curious if there is another which includes people like the Germans, English or Dutch.

How about we call ourselves, Aranian...?

(ar-rain-nee-anne)

Because it sounds a little Indian (apparently where we stemmed from originally, Indo-Europeans [I think I read that a few times] please don't crucify me for my ignorance)
It sounds a little Persian, Iranian. I heard [yes from my convoluted web experience that Persian's were originally white people before race mixing.
It sounds a little Arayn too.
To me it also sounds like we whities would love to go jihad on the jews.

Makes it sound global and intrinsic to our identity.

Anyway, I'm just offering. I don't mind the word personally. Maybe there is a better variation. It's still pretty close to Iranian though...
Mouse Shadow is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Saturday, July 3rd, 2010   #63
Arla

Ethnicity: Swedish
Ancestry: Swedish
State: Scania
Family: Single adult
Arla shows some promise.

Quote:
This is a qustion for Scandinavians on this forum, but others can answer as well if they are knowledgeable on the topic.

Do Scandinavians look down on the term "Germanic"? Do they identify as "Germanic" or do they avoid this term because it reminds them of Germans? Which term is most commonly used in Scandinavia to refer to Germanics as a whole? I know of the existence of words like "nordisk" but I am curious if there is another which includes people like the Germans, English or Dutch.
I would say that ordinary people in Sweden doesn’t use the term Germanic to identify them self or any other people. I have noticed a reluctance to use any other terms than Europeans, possibly with North, West, South, East or Central as a prefix, or what country a person has citizenship in.

Germanic is used virtually only in the academic community to describe the language, culture or history but never for the people themselves. I would say that there is a fear to divide people in all the proper compartments because of the possibility that one will be classified as racist.

There is also a quite strong tendency to try to part the north and its people from the rest of the Germanic community. The media and popular science often change the expression "North Germanic" to "Scandinavian" or "Nordic" in an attempt to wall off themselves. I think this can lead people to associate Germanic with Germany / German because it’s their culture and their language that is described as Germanic, not ours.
Arla is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arla For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, July 3rd, 2010   #64
VikingManx

Ethnicity: Vinlander
Ancestry: Isle of Mann, Lancastershire, the Lowlands/Borders, Galloway, Yorkshire, Wales, Holland
State: Texas
Politics: Radical Traditionalist
VikingManx shows some promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator X View Post
I agree. Anglo-Saxon denotes pre-Norman English people, and at best could denote an Englishman or a person of English heritage. I find it ironic when Scots-Irish southerners referred to themselves as Anglo-Saxons.. Nowadays it is even used to merely refer to a White person here in America. For example the alliance between the Americans and the British during WWII was called the "Anglo-Saxon Alliance" based primarily on America's early British heritage and the two territories common English language. Now it's merely a linguistic term to differentiate English-speaking white America from Spanish speakers. It's like the option on census: White (non-Hispanic).. Hispania is the Latin name of Spain.. Are native European Spaniards (Castellanos, Gallegos, Catalans etc.) really supposed to lump themselves in with Spanish speaking Mayans, Aztecs, Incas, Tainos and their various hybrids?

There never really was a clear and accurate assortment of population groups in the census. The "Hispanic" issue should tick-off the native Pan-Mesoamerican peoples and the mestizos just as much as people of European Spanish heritage (criollos).
Scots-Irish people are primarily of Lowland Scotland extraction, making them descended mostly from Angles and Danish Vikings.

"Scot-Irish" people are not Celts.

Edmund Burke
VikingManx is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VikingManx For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, February 21st, 2011   #65
sunne

Ethnicity: danish/english
Ancestry: denmark scheswig
Subrace: Nordid
State: Washington
Family: hand-fasted
Politics: tea party/right wing
Religion: asatru
sunne 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorm the Old View Post
I could introduce you to plenty of Norwegian-American immigrants who would not tolerate being called Germanic because, having lived through at least part of the German occupation of Norway in World War II, they hate Germans.
lund means grove in old norse. man means human being

as for germanics hating other germanics: very sad. and pointless. but if happens even today. my sister hates me because i am disapointed that she married a jew. she hates her own gene pool so much that she MARRIED and REPRODUCED with a jew. 4 fewer white northern europeans. in a diminishing gene pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
Why? People misunderstand the term "Germanic", so they should think about their mistake regarding the usage of the world.

And "Anglo-Saxon" - you know from where they originally come from? And by the way, Scandinavians have very less to do with Anglo-Saxons...
anglos came from the angeln peninsula in what became denmark. the saxons were then in the area where germany and denamrk now connect. also the jutes came over with the angles and saxons and they are from the jutland peninsula also in demark...so yes they are scandinavian

angles saxons jutes and normans are all of the same gene pool. while the first three came from what is now called denmark the normans or nordmans were from the north as the name indicates. they were vikings given that land by france or what would become france. william the bastard turned william the conqueror when he went to angleland was the grandson of rollo - a viking. if the germanics were not such a contentious bunch there would be many more of us. like the amrican indians, we squabble amongst ourselves and have eliminated so many. and yet, our inventions and way of like are dominant.
Old Monday, February 21st, 2011   #66
sunne

Ethnicity: danish/english
Ancestry: denmark scheswig
State: Washington
Family: hand-fasted
Politics: tea party/right wing
Religion: asatru
sunne 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Lightbulb anglo-saxon means english?!

as an actual anglo-saxon and not being from england, i must "protest".

my family is not only from the angeln peninsula and from where the saxons were located during the time they went to england. the english are our cousins, not our enemies. only the coloureds who are foolishly allowed in to our lands are our enemies. and those of us who allow this for whatever reason are traitors to our people.
Old Sunday, April 15th, 2012   #67
MidgardPatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauke Haien View Post
stop calling Dutch people "German"
I read somewhere that a possible source of the English word "Dutch" was a misappropriation of "Deutsche".
Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Sunday, April 15th, 2012   #68
Gandalfur

Ancestry: Sweden / UK /Netherlands / Germany
State: Smaland
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Swedish environmental party
Religion: spiritual
Gandalfur 's reputation has not travelled afar.

I would say that people in Småland, Sweden feel close affinity with the Danes, Norwegians, Icelanders, Faroese and Finland Swedish people. Next, we think of ourselves as "Nordbor", people who live in Norden which includes Finland and Greenland. This means that we feel a special relationship with Finns, the Sami and Greenlanders. We also want to develop our relations with the Baltic countries, especially Estonia which has a Swedish minority. We say that Swedish is "germanisk" (Germanic) and we view the British, Germans, Dutch and Flemish as cousins as well as the Scandinavian people living in the diaspora. We recognize that the Scandinavians are part of the Germanic family and this includes Germany. German immigrants to Sweden made many positive contributions. Sweden had a rather close relationship with Germany prior to the world wars, but the second world war caused Germany to loose a lot of prestige in Sweden. Hitler created serious diplomatic problems for us in relationship to our Nordic neighbors that have take a generation to repair. English is our second language now, but we do need to study more German as Germany is our largest trade partner in the European Union. We do tend to view Germany with some suspicion due to the way that they meet with the French and then try to tell all of the other countries what to do. This does not sit well in Sweden, though we often find ourselves in agreement with the Germans on EU matters. The British and Dutch are very popular in Sweden.
Gandalfur is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalfur For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, April 16th, 2012   #69
RobertWesterlund

Ancestry: Swede/Dane/German
Politics: Traditional
RobertWesterlund 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Quote:
Which term is most commonly used in Scandinavia to refer to Germanics as a whole? I know of the existence of words like "nordisk" but I am curious if there is another which includes people like the Germans, English or Dutch.
Germanic people, based on ethnicity and not refering to nationality:

Germanska folk (in Swedish, Norwegian and Danish quite similar).
RobertWesterlund is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Sunday, May 13th, 2012   #70
bernwolf

Ethnicity: german american
Ancestry: germany
State: California
Politics: none
bernwolf 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatest View Post
Yeah the problem with using Germanic is that most people think it means German.
Anglo-Saxon should preferably be used instead.
A friend of mine who is of German descent has a friend who is of Norwegian descent. He told me that his friend who is of Norwegian descent fullt recognizes that Norwegians and Germans are of the same bloodline.
bernwolf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote