Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 40,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 300 topic forums and browse from over 700,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Food & Drink
Register FAQ Rules Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Food & Drink Discuss food and drink preparation, culinary customs and share recipes.

A Truly Germanic Diet

Old Saturday, March 31st, 2012   #1
Dvergr
Aka Bazlekar

Ethnicity: German-American
Ancestry: Germany
Family: Single adult
Religion: Nature
Dvergr is noble of speech.Dvergr is noble of speech.

A Truly Germanic Diet

Being into organic farming and medicinal herbs, I've also become interested in the history of where plants original came from. I got to thinking that a truly Germanic diet would consist of only consuming plants which originate in the traditional Germanic areas.

I've started to review plants and was hoping the people of this forum could help by including common vegetables, fruits, meats, mushrooms, trees and herbs. Do you think you could live on just a truly Germanic diet ? Next time you eat / drink some of the following items in this thread you can think of how Germanic vs. Non-Germanic they are.

The origins of ...

Carrots: Iran or Afghanistan
Cabbage: Mediterranean
Kale: Europe
Chickens: Southeast Asia
Broccoli: Europe
Spinach: Persia
Cows: One species from Europe
Tomato: South America
Thyme: Middle East
Black Pepper: Southeast Asia / China
Lettuce: Egypt
Nettle: Many species found throughout the world, including Europe
Beets: Mediterranean
Meadowsweet: Europe
Chives: Europe
Dandelion: Eurasia
Barley: Israel

Fell free to add to the list.
Old Saturday, March 31st, 2012   #2
Powmia
Account Inactive

Ethnicity: Norman
Ancestry: Huguenot
Subrace: N/A
State: Massachusetts
Politics: Warlord
Religion: CI/DI & Absolute Totemism
Powmia 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Lightbulb

I really don't think man was meant to be vegetarian, especially Germans.

Almost all creatures are carnivore/omnivore. Why would man be anything other than an Omnivore? It is the superior choice of having the best from both worlds.

The Bible tells us that greens are "good for meat". How would man know what meat is? This is God/Aliens turning us from Carnivores to Omnivores.
Powmia is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Powmia For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, March 31st, 2012   #3
Hrafn Odinnsson

Ethnicity: Dutch
Politics: Saving our Folk!
Religion: Folkish Heathen
Hrafn Odinnsson shows some promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvergr View Post
Being into organic farming and medicinal herbs, I've also become interested in the history of where plants original came from. I got to thinking that a truly Germanic diet would consist of only consuming plants which originate in the traditional Germanic areas.

I've started to review plants and was hoping the people of this forum could help by include common vegetables, fruits, meats and herbs. Do you think you could live on just a truly Germanic diet ? Next time you eat some of the following items in this thread you can think of how Germanic vs. Non-Germanic they are.
I have always wondered what veggies were homogeneous to Europe especially Northern Europe. I also wanted to know if eating our Forefather's diet had a different effect on brain function vs. our highly foreign diet.

So far I have looked for the origins of several vegetables and found it difficult
to find any coming out of Northern Europe (make me suspicious) but allot so far comes from Greece.

Good post there Dvergr.
Hrafn Odinnsson is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hrafn Odinnsson For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, March 31st, 2012   #4
Dvergr
Aka Bazlekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrafnodinnsson View Post
So far I have looked for the origins of several vegetables and found it difficult
to find any coming out of Northern Europe (make me suspicious) but allot so far comes from Greece.
Prior to the introduction of farming and outside cultures plants, the Germanic people would have been eating local plants through foraging, most of which I think many people on this forum wouldn't know or wouldn't consider eating. Meadowsweet and Nettle being an example (though I think there are some traditional Nettle Soups eaten in Sweden). They also would have been eating any wild animals, rodents, fruit, trees, mushrooms, seafood and bugs they could get their hands on.

Most people think hunter-gatherer / foraging lifestyle was difficult, with long days. In fact it was a pretty simple way of life, if you know every possible thing in nature that can be eaten. Every day a few people go out to collect as much of everything as they can in a few hours to eat. In a quarter of a day (not counting winter) you would be able to come back with arm fulls of food. I personally forage and have a wide knowledge of edible plants in my area of the country. It would not take very long to gather armfuls of Chives, Dandelions and Nettle. Dandelions and Nettle alone have a really high Vitamin content and are incredibly nutritious. Every region of the planet has high nutrient local plants, and our ancestors knew this well.
Old Saturday, March 31st, 2012   #5
Elfriede
Love Conquers All
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.

Quote:
The Black Forest (Schwarzwald) in the southern part of Germany is an excellent place to gather mushrooms, since it is able to offer almost perfect conditions for them to flourish. It has dense woodland, much of which is relatively undisturbed from one year to the next. There is a reasonable amount of rainfall. Leaves fall during the autumn and are not collected : and all of these conditions are just ideal for mushrooms.

The cep mushroom, also known as the porcini or in England the penny bun is quite common throughout Germany, but particularly in the Black Forest. It is known as the Steinpilz here.

Champignons are often regarded by the Germans as being quite common; in English we would refer to these as being the ‘meadow mushroom’. However, the mushroom they call the Pfifferlinge is the prized chanterelle mushroom and if you can either find someone who can take you to spots where these grow or go on a mushroom picking tour, then you will probably find lots of them: it is simply a question of knowing where to look! As in other parts of the world, ceps will often grow near beech and oak trees.
http://www.wildmushroomsonline.co.uk...-Germany/1.php

According to my Mushroom Field Guide the following can be found in Northern Europe:
Nongilled(common names)
morels, truffles, chantrelles, black trumpets, bear's head, chicken mushroom, hen-of-the-woods, king bolete, woodear
Gilled(common names)
cep, meadow, oyster, honey, shaggy mane, matsutake, milk-cap, blewits

Of course, there are many edible mushrooms indigenous to Germany and other Germanic countries but these are very common and popular and probably have been for a very long time.
Elfriede is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elfriede For This Useful Post:
Old Sunday, April 1st, 2012   #6
Hersir
Hundhedensk
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Håløyg
Ancestry: Norway
Subrace: Nordid
Family: In a steady relationship
Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powmia View Post
I really don't think man was meant to be vegetarian, especially Germans.

Almost all creatures are carnivore/omnivore. Why would man be anything other than an Omnivore? It is the superior choice of having the best from both worlds.

The Bible tells us that greens are "good for meat". How would man know what meat is? This is God/Aliens turning us from Carnivores to Omnivores.
Meat, fish, eggs, veggies and fruits are good and should be basis of every diet. We need to cut back on sugar especially. If you are overweight it's smart to avoid fruit with a lot of sugar, like apples and bananas and maybe eat more vegetables.

We should avoid grains, wheat (whole wheat can in fact be worse), potatoes, pasta, rice etc. as much as possible. A keto or paleo diet is much healthier and will help combat obesity many countries are struggling with. I don't think I wish to call it "Germanc countries" any more, because they are not.

It's impossible to avoid foreign influence, all cultures have influence on others. It would be impossible to go back to the ur-Germanske.

Hersir is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:
Old Sunday, April 1st, 2012   #7
Elessar
Cascadian
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Deutsch
Religion: Christianity
Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.Elessar is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powmia View Post

If the spice & food trade was good enough for my Germanic ancestors, and by extent European, then by God, call me a race traitor for eating and enjoying "non-Germanic" foods.
Elessar is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elessar For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012   #8
Dvergr
Aka Bazlekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
It's impossible to avoid foreign influence, all cultures have influence on others. It would be impossible to go back to the ur-Germanske.
I guess you could but you wouldn't enjoy it very much. To put it into perspective, people would eat inner tree bark and lichens in the winter because it is edible and there wasn't much else around. Unless you are literally hunting-gathering for every season in the wild I don't even think it is possible to get all the nutrients you need by only eating the few market available vegetables from traditional Germanic areas offered today.

I will say that I lost a lot of respect for the Irish when I learned where potatoes were original from some years ago (Peru). They literally had a famine over potatoes. They forgot about all of their traditional foods and starved to death over one nutrient lacking vegetable from Peru.
Old Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012   #9
Patrioten

Ethnicity: Swedish
Politics: Conservative
Religion: Protestant
Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.Patrioten 's judgement is sought by kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvergr View Post
I guess you could but you wouldn't enjoy it very much. To put it into perspective, people would eat inner tree bark and lichens in the winter because it is edible and there wasn't much else around. Unless you are literally hunting-gathering for every season in the wild I don't even think it is possible to get all the nutrients you need by only eating the few market available vegetables from traditional Germanic areas offered today.

I will say that I lost a lot of respect for the Irish when I learned where potatoes were original from some years ago (Peru). They literally had a famine over potatoes. They forgot about all of their traditional foods and starved to death over one nutrient lacking vegetable from Peru.
The potato saved alot of northern Swedes (as well as other Swedes I imagine, as it was the crop of the poor) from starvation due to the ease of cultivation and its tolerance for varying types of soils, where crops such as wheat wouldn't grow. Potato was certainly a valuable import to Sweden that contributed greatly to our diet. But just because we imported the food doesn't mean we had to import the people who cultivated the crop, potatoes were cultivated just fine without us importing 100 000 peruvians living in the poor houses of the time on the dime of Swedish farmers.

That's why I don't particularly object to foreign foods as such, they don't commit rapes and they don't want to marry your children.
Patrioten is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Patrioten For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012   #10
renownedwolf
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: English
Family: In a steady relationship
Religion: Germanic Heathenry
renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.

New Cookbook: From Stone Age to Vikings.

Quote:
Raw food. New Nordic food. Stone Age food.

Today’s hottest culinary trends are inspired by the distant past and the number of restaurants serving prehistoric food is on a steady rise.

The menu consists of seasonal, local ingredients which ideally should not be warmed up and using processed ingredients is a definite no-no.

It seems that 16,000 years of gastronomic development has brought us back to the beginning. But what exactly did people eat before the advent of fast food and fine French cuisine?

A new cookbook, based on archaeological finds, could bring us a few steps closer to an answer.
Read more here...

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index....age-to-vikings
renownedwolf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to renownedwolf For This Useful Post: