Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 40,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 300 topic forums and browse from over 700,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Health, Fitness & Nutrition
Register FAQ Rules Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health, Fitness & Nutrition Discussion of medical health issues, workout and training schedules, nutrition and diets, anti-ageing & life-extension, drugs & pharmaceuticals. Bring your body where it has never been before.

Dangers and Side Effects of Herbal Remedies, Supplements, Diet Pills, and Other Over the Counter Remedies

Old Monday, March 26th, 2012   #11
EQ Fighter

Ethnicity: German/Irish
State: Texas
Family: Single
Politics: Libertarian/Conservative
EQ Fighter is considered wise by the elders.EQ Fighter is considered wise by the elders.EQ Fighter is considered wise by the elders.EQ Fighter is considered wise by the elders.EQ Fighter is considered wise by the elders.EQ Fighter is considered wise by the elders.EQ Fighter is considered wise by the elders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvergr View Post
Now that we are off topic, I just want to say that I think a lot of girls in the US feel they are unattractive if they have a little meat, weight to them. And really from my own experience and from guys I talk with this is just no the case. Just you know, media and all that stuff. Girls beat themselves up if they are naturally slightly ... uh ... "larger". Look at pictures of attractive women from even the 1930's in America, compared to now. They were natural back then, today many get caught up in make-up and weight loss. Just look yourself and be yourself, that is attractive.
LOL!
Yeah it is kind of funny but most of the Goddesses of the Screen in the 40's and 50's would be considered massively overweight by today’s modelling standards.

Honestly I think most men like women that are somewhere in the middle of the weight scale. But that being said, exercise is a good thing and weight training is also a good thing no matter what your gender. It is important to keep the body healthy no matter if you get massive weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty goddess View Post
I think it's generally not true that men like a little bit of "meat" on a woman, unless you're talking about the bosom or the bum. Having thin legs, abdomen, and arms actually improve the look of most women's body shapes, although some women actually look better at a higher weight, but this is not very common. I have noticed that MOST men are more attracted to thinness. It just depends on the man's sexual DNA.
Guys are attracted to the Hour Glass, It is a biological thing.
EQ Fighter is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EQ Fighter For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, March 26th, 2012   #12
Autosomal Viking
Funding Member
aka Henry Ford
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Vinnish
Ancestry: Norway, Jutland, Puritan
Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.Autosomal Viking is a sage.

I think diet pills are some of the worst OTC's you can take. Some herbals do have strong evidence for beneficial effects but like any chemical you put into your body, they have side effects. St. John's Wort can cure depression or it can cause you to have anxiety. It reduces the effectiveness of oral contraceptives which can make you really depressed if you not prepared to have a baby. St. John's Wort interacts with many drugs and reduces the effect of digitoxin, another herbal. The point is that anything you put in your body can be a medicine or poison.

I'll agree that big pharma is evil since it's obviously concerned with profit first, although it does have to prove its products to be safe and effective to some degree. The dietary supplement industry is almost as bad since they got some Hollywood celebrities to emotionally convince legislators to give dietary supplements their own protected class that is pretty much untouchable by the FDA until someone dies from taking the product.
Autosomal Viking is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Autosomal Viking For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, March 26th, 2012   #13
Frostbite

Ethnicity: English-American
Ancestry: English/England
Family: Single adult
Religion: Christian
Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

I know you have you have to be careful about taking supplements if you take certain medications. Many supplements, diet pills, herbal pills etc. Are not tested by the FDA, so you don't necessarily know what you are taking.

An example would be if you take a heart medication, and then a supplement with fox glove in it (because a lot of heart medications come from fox glove). So you basically are taking twice the medication you need.

St. John's wort is another one you have to watch out for.

Aren't a lot of diet pills basically speed?

Even though my ancestry is English, Germany is my favorite country.
Frostbite is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frostbite For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, March 26th, 2012   #14
Ocko
Eala Freia Fresena
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Friese
Ancestry: Friesland
Subrace: Nordid
State: California
Family: Married
Politics: rightwing
Religion: none/pagan
Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.

The normal range of plant food is about 30 different varieties.

Compared to what our ancestors ate in the past it is an unhealthy low number.

A healthy diet should be composed out of about 400 to 500 different plants. That has all the ingredients the body needs. And provides a good protection against most diseases.
Old Monday, March 26th, 2012   #15
The Horned God
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Irish
Subrace: Atlantid
The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.

Quote:
I think it's generally not true that men like a little bit of "meat" on a woman, unless you're talking about the bosom or the bum.
Generally correct. Rolls of fat hanging over a belt and a saggy ass are not are not attractive to anyone, man or woman. However, the weighing scales are useless for assessing body fat. You need to use skin-fold calipers for that.

A woman will usually look her best at around 15-18% bodyfat, which is the "low normal" zone. Women in the "mid normal" zone (19-25%) can actually look a little chubby. As for the ones in the high normal zone (26-30%) the best that can be said for them is that they are not at increased risk of heart disease...

If you look at Marylin Monroe in her heyday, there wasn't too much fat on that frame of hers. While she was indeed curvy (in the original sense of the word) there wasn't any fat there that looked out of place or unattractive. When people say that Marylin Monroe was a size 14 you have to remember that the 1950's sizes were actually 4 sizes smaller than those of today. In today's terms Marylin was actually a size 8-10 during most of her movie career.

(This is good, aim for this )

It is possible for a woman to be too thin, but it's not easily done and if it does happen, usually 3 or 4 days feeding will correct the matter.

This (second picture) is slightly too thin;

While I doubt the Claudia Schrieffer weighted a full 135lbs in the first picture, in the second picture she is so thin it actually makes her look older and less attractive. Visible ribcage definition in the area above the breasts is not the ideal look. However it's much easier to add weight than take it away. She needs to eat about 3 good meals and she'll be perfect.
Old Monday, March 26th, 2012   #16
Unity Mitford

Ethnicity: English
Family: Engaged
Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.

I have had good experiences with most herbal remedies I have tried. Don't fall into the trap of wasting money buying things you do not need and you will be fine.
Unity Mitford is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unity Mitford For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, March 26th, 2012   #17
Dvergr
Aka Bazlekar

Ethnicity: German-American
Ancestry: Germany
Religion: Nature
Dvergr is noble of speech.Dvergr is noble of speech.

Quote:
Wow, really? I didn't know that. I guess what I meant is "objective," careful research on any minescule thing it could do in the body that's not good.
This causes conflicts in research though. Every other day egg whites are good, then they are bad, then they are good. Coffee was said to be good,then it was bad, now apparently if you have a few cups a week, as a male, it regulates your blood sugar and is good for you. Overall I think it's hard to find the minuscule things it does for you, simply because you don't actually know everything else someone ingests, their climate, water mineral content, pollution, etc. You would pretty much have to set up one of those perfect scientific settings to test an Herb, but that would require everyone have the same genetics, disorders, body types, diseases or lack of, amount of vitamins / minerals in the body. All of which is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosomal Viking View Post
I'll agree that big pharma is evil since it's obviously concerned with profit first, although it does have to prove its products to be safe and effective to some degree.
Prove it, with un-bias studies. Read about Drug Lobbying ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmaceutical_lobby ... in one year they spent 182 MILLION DOLLARS on lobbying. Yeah, sure those drugs do something. They don't necessarily do what they are supposed to and have horrendous side effects. Take a look at SSRI's. They are supposed to "cure depression". Instead what they do is shut down certain functions of the brain. And if you come off them, you have homicidal tendencies.

http://www.nt.gov.au/lant/parliament...ept%202011.pdf ... "Antidepressant-induced akathisia-related
homicides associated with diminishing mutations
in metabolizing genes of the CYP450 family
... this is a scientific review of anti-depressants and how they cause homicidal tendencies and mutations in certain genes ...

""... The results presented here concerning a sample of persons given antidepressants for psychosocial distress demonstrate the extent to which the psychopharmacology industry has expanded its influence beyond its ability to cure.

... [T]he Sequenced Treatment Alternatives to Relieve Depression (Star *D) study ... found that antidepressants were only marginally (2.7%) more efficacious compared with placebos. The same meta-analyses documented profound publication bias, inflating their apparent efficacy as well as bias in failing to report the negative results ... The authors argue for a reappraisal of the current recommended standard of care of depression." "
Old Monday, March 26th, 2012   #18
Elfriede
Love Conquers All
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.

I really dislike taking over-the-counter pills. I will only take aspirin and then only if I am having an excruciating head ache (which does not happen often).

I think that whole herbal remedies can be quite nice if one is knowledgeable. I believe it is important to know the source of these remedies as well as educating yourself about the possible risks and the history of their uses. I've had a lot of trouble sleeping lately so I decided to try chamomile. I bought some dry chamomile from a reputable source and make tea with it at night. It really does help me sleep and also works on mild head aches.

Even if the plant you want to use seems harmless, you should always research it. For example, red raspberry leaf should not be used by pregnant women and chamomile is dangerous to those with ragweed allergies!
Elfriede is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elfriede For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, March 27th, 2012   #19
Dvergr
Aka Bazlekar

Ethnicity: German-American
Ancestry: Germany
Religion: Nature
Dvergr is noble of speech.Dvergr is noble of speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfriede View Post
For example, red raspberry leaf should not be used by pregnant women
... what ? Where do you get this information from ?
Old Tuesday, March 27th, 2012   #20
Elfriede
Love Conquers All
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvergr View Post
... what ? Where do you get this information from ?
That was actually an error on my part, which I thank you for pointing out because I didn't even notice it! What I should have said was "red raspberry leaf should be taken by pregnant women". Googling "red raspberry leaf pregnancy" will give you many results concerning the matter. There are also many books and encyclopedias concerning medicinal herbs, I know information found online can sometimes be iffy.
For example, here is something taken from a website that insists women should take red raspberry leaf tea during pregnancy:

Quote:
One of the most important herbal tonics to take during pregnancy is Red Raspberry Leaf. This is not tea made from raspberries. It is an herbal tea made from the leaves of the raspberry plant. Red Raspberry is the best known, most widely used and safest of all uterine and pregnancy herbs. Most of the benefits that are attributed to Red Raspberry Leaf tea are traced to the nourishing source of vitamins and minerals found in the plant and to fragrine (an alkaloid which gives tone to muscles of the pelvic region and the uterus itself).
http://journeytocrunchville.wordpres...t-woman-needs/

Here's another:

Quote:
Red Raspberry leaf tea is one of the safest and commonly used tonic herbs for women wanting to get pregnant or for women who are already pregnant. Red Raspberry Leaf (Rubus idaeus) tones the uterus, improves contractions and decreases constipation. Most tonics need to be used regularly, for a tonic is to the cells much like exercise is to the muscles; not much help when done irregularly
http://womanplace.wordpress.com/2011...-in-pregnancy/
Elfriede is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elfriede For This Useful Post: