Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Folk Art & Culture
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Folk Art & Culture Discussion of the various folk arts and crafts that elude the foregoing, more traditional categories.

Hand Spinning Yarn

Old Thursday, March 22nd, 2012   #1
Elfriede
Love Conquers All
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.Elfriede is a sage.

Hand Spinning Yarn

I thought I would share with everyone something that I really like to do: spinning yarn! I use a drop spindle instead of a spinning wheel for a few reasons. It's cheaper, smaller, and easier than a wheel and there are many interesting archeological finds that indicate that drop spindles have been used all over Europe for a very long time.

This is sheep wool that has been carded. I order it online from someone who raises sheep for fun. It really does look like hair when it hasn't been spun yet. It has a very nice clean smell to it too!

Carding means that each strand of wool is going in the same direction. It doesn't come off the sheep all nice and neat like this!

This is my spindle with some yarn on it already. I had some trouble getting the yarn to be consistent in its thickness initially, as you can see

Now it is starting to look better. Consistency is really what you want when you are spinning and it is probably the most difficult part. That would actually be easier to do on a spinning wheel because with a drop spindle you have to wrap the yarn around the spindle and start over every few minutes.

This is why it's called a drop spindle. As you spin the yarn, it drops to the floor. That takes a while to get used to because when you first start you have to go very slowly and the spindle starts to spin the opposite way of your yarn, making it unravel.

This is a little knitting project with some better-spun yarn. It was actually made out of llama wool! I like natural colors the most but dying wool can also be really fun. After spinning all the yarn I want, I soak it in warm water and then let it dry. The water helps the little tiny fibers on the wool cling to each other. This is actually how some types of felt are made as well.

I didn't spin this yarn It's professionally spun 2-ply (two pieces of yarn spun together) yarn that is basically perfect. This is what spinners all want their yarn to look like. Pre-spun yarn like this sells for a lot of money!

http://www.amazon.com/Spinning-Dyein...2444339&sr=8-2

This is a link to a good book called "Spinning, Dyeing, Weaving: Self Sufficiency" that I used to help myself learn to spin. I also happened to know someone who knew how, which is really the best way to learn although it isn't necessary. You can also find a lot of great videos on youtube.

www.etsy.com is a great place to find carded wool for spinning, hand made spindles and knitting needles, and hand/wheel spun yarn
Elfriede is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, March 22nd, 2012   #2
renownedwolf
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: English
Family: In a steady relationship
Religion: Germanic Heathenry
renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.

Nice to see a young woman who is interested in the traditional crafts. The other half recently began learning to knit as she is one of the only women in her family who never learned.
renownedwolf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to renownedwolf For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, March 22nd, 2012   #3
Huginn ok Muninn
Anachronism
Witenagemot
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Germanic
Ancestry: Germany, Norway, England
Subrace: Nordeby
State: Texas
Family: Single adult
Politics: The Folk is All, All is the Folk
Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Huginn ok Muninn 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

Excellent contribution, Elfriede! This is an essential craft most women had to master not long ago, because most clothing was hand made, and most yarn was spun by hand or with a wheel. People used to have to be much more independent than they are now. It seems like most clothing nowadays is pre-packaged in some store, and made by someone working at slave wages in Asia somewhere. Wearing a store bought sweater just isn't the same as wearing one made by hand, with love, by your wife, mother, grandmother, or some other excellent woman who cares about you.
Old Friday, March 23rd, 2012   #4
Frostbite

Ethnicity: English-American
Ancestry: English/England
Family: Single adult
Religion: Christian
Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

I've always wanted to learn some sort of handi-craft like this.

Even though my ancestry is English, Germany is my favorite country.
Frostbite is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frostbite For This Useful Post: