Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Homemaking & Gardening
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Homemaking & Gardening Discuss and share household tips, ideas for gardening and home improvement.

Your Gardening Projects

Old Saturday, July 16th, 2011   #21
Hersir
Hundhedensk
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Håløyg
Ancestry: Norway
Subrace: Nordid
Family: In a steady relationship
Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02991.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	730.7 KB
ID:	108779

Tomatoes, rucula, chives, chinese chives (taste like garlic), baby leaf salad, pepper mynt and wild strawberry (Markjordbær). Gonna plant some more on monday, hope they will get finished this year, since I am a bit late. The one in the drinking glass is a offshot from a house plant.

Sorry for bad picture quality, took it with my cellphone.

Hersir is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, July 16th, 2011   #22
Godwinson

Ethnicity: English
Ancestry: English, Anglo-Saxon
Family: Married
Politics: Fascist
Religion: Pagan
Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.Godwinson 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

We're growing all of the following in our garden ...

Potatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflowers, Runner Beans, French Beans, Broad Beans, Leeks, Tomatoes, Courgettes, Beetroot, Purple Sprouting, Strawberries, Blackberries, Logan Berries and several types of herbs (Parsley, Chives, Rosemary, Thyme).

... and then there's a plum tree that has recently been planted but hasn't produced anything yet and a garlic plant that we just got earlier today. I reckon we'll be about done then because there isn't much space left and I can't think of much else we need.

Not a bad effort overall, seeing how we started from scratch just over 2 years ago
Godwinson is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Godwinson For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, August 30th, 2011   #23
Hersir
Hundhedensk
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.

Just ate my first homegrown tomato, it was pretty small but the taste was really good

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, August 30th, 2011   #24
Schneider

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Ancestry: German, Irish
State: Michigan
Religion: Kraft Durch Freude
Schneider has earned the respect of peers.

We are picking the last of the sweet corn today. Will will freeze most of it for this winter.
"Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect."
Schneider is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schneider For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, November 3rd, 2011   #25
Hersir
Hundhedensk
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

I made peppermint tea with the leaves of my plant. I left some leaves back, I hope it wont die so I can harvest more leaves. I didn't get that much tea from just one plant, so if it tastes good I'll plant more next year. Sorry for the bad image quality, I used my cellphone. I read that peppermint spreads out easily, maybe I can just place the plant in a much larger pot.

Name:	DSC03064.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1,009.5 KB
ID:	109676

Name:	DSC03067.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	596.9 KB
ID:	109677

Name:	DSC03070.jpg
Size:	581.5 KB
ID:	109678

Name:	DSC03071.jpg
Size:	561.2 KB
ID:	109679

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, November 24th, 2011   #26
raedwald

Ancestry: Anglo saxon
State: East Anglia
Politics: Right Wing
Religion: Heathen
raedwald shows some promise.

Gardens

I love gardening, but my main interest is growing mistletoe, i now have it on many trees in my garden, and elsewhere, in Norfolk, East Anglia...
raedwald is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raedwald For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, November 26th, 2011   #27
raedwald

Ancestry: Anglo saxon
State: East Anglia
Politics: Right Wing
Religion: Heathen
raedwald shows some promise.

Have increased my garden over the last few years, growing many herbs, poison plants, veg, and fruit trees....
raedwald is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raedwald For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, November 26th, 2011   #28
SpearBrave
Proffessional Hickerbilly
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: American of German decent
Ancestry: Germany/ Switzerland
State: Indiana
Family: alone
Politics: Constitutional Realist
Religion: Asatru
SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.SpearBrave 's wisdom is legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raedwald View Post
Have increased my garden over the last few years, growing many herbs, poison plants, veg, and fruit trees....
Why would you grow "poisen plants" I'm just curious, I usually just call those weeds?
"The country blacksmith who employs no journeyman is never conscious of any conflict between the capital invested in his anvil, hammer and bellows, and the labor he performs with them, because in fact, there is none."-Leland Stanford
SpearBrave is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, January 6th, 2012   #29
Northumbria
Aka kentynet

Ancestry: Mainly English, some Irish
Subrace: Nord-Atlantid
State: Northumberland
Politics: Right-wing
Northumbria is noble of speech.Northumbria is noble of speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raedwald View Post
I love gardening, but my main interest is growing mistletoe, i now have it on many trees in my garden, and elsewhere, in Norfolk, East Anglia...
We don't seem to get as much of that here in west England, I think it prefers continental climates.
We get lots of Holly and Yew in the woods besides the rivers instead. I wouldn't mind replacing the Hawthorn hedge at the back of my property with holly. The old hedge has been there since I moved in a few years ago and hasn't been managed for about 40 years and so has tried to grow into trees. It's full of gaps and is slowly dying and overrun with ivy so I want to replace it with some nice, impenetrable holly.

In spring I'm going to put in a few more trees, mostly fruit trees. I already have a few cherry trees and some willows and a yew which was here before I was.

I put in some Rhubarb rhizomes a few days ago and my strawberry plants survived the winter OK. I have Garden Strawberries and Woodland Strawberry plants (the latter being the native British one) - the difference in growth is striking. The Wood strawberry plant is drastically smaller than the garden strawberry ones.

There's also a awkward patch of sand in the shade which I bravely tried to get crops to grow on - Turnips and Leeks to try and improve the soil. It's so bad the grass won't even grow there.
It's a failure so I'm going to get some topsoil from the good areas of my land and seed it with creeping red fescue and white clover. It can be grazing land.

I sold the chickens last year, they were to make money but then everyone started getting them and so I couldn't sell them to idiots in the suburbs for £7 per head any more. Eggs are cheaper for me to get from a farm shop, they're still free-range too, the price of corn rocketed.

I might plant some potatoes too, most of my property is a good loam. It just has a bad area of soil at the top and clay at a small piece near the bottom of the hill.
Northumbria is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northumbria For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, March 14th, 2012   #30
Hersir
Hundhedensk
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Garden cress (Lepidium sativum). Very easy to grow and grows really quick. Karse in Norwegian

Planted 8th of march

The other 3 pots have ruccola, also very easy to grow.

13th of march

14th of march

Pot marigold (calendula officinalis). "Ringblomst".
Edible flower.

Should end up looking like this:

Ruccola (Eruca sativa). Easy to grow and I like it a lot.

Trying to get a root on this one, but the prospects are dim. Not sure of plant name.

This is a Dutch yule tree my mom bought me, it came in a pot and is thriving very well. It seems it dies off in the care of most people, I guess they don't water enough. Trees need a lot. Not sure of what the latin name is.

Garlic chives. (Allium tuberosum). "Kinesisk gressløk".
More frail than normal chives, but pretty easy to grow. I've had some trouble with fruit files on this one, but my apple vinegar trap helps to kill them off.

Not exactly sure about the name, but I think it is Alpine Strawberry. (Fragaria vesca) Called "trädgårdssmultron" in Swedish, markjordbær in Norwegian. Some annoying fruit flies here too, I hope they are not damaging to the plant.

I managed to get a root on another plant I tried with. The mother plant is at my mothers, she had it for over 35 years. Anyone know the latin name?

This mess is normal chives and ramsons (Allium ursinum). "Ramsløk".
If you walk the forest in spring and get a small garlic smell it will be ramsons you smell. I read it looks very similar to poison ivy, but you can tell the difference by the smell. It grows easy in the garden and it speads very fast...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post: