Description Knight on the Völkerschlachtdenkmal, Leipzig

Comments
Image Tuesday, October 14th, 2008
Old Winter

Forum Posts: 1,906
Gallery: 25
Comments: 2
Knight on the Völkerschlachtdenkmal, Leipzig

I been there in 2001 during the Wave Gotik Treffen festifal.
Image Tuesday, July 12th, 2011
Linden

Forum Posts: 429
Gallery: 6
Comments: 6

My cousins lived about 20 minutes (walking time) from this monument. I've caught a glimpse of it from a distance, but hope to see it up close someday.
Image Saturday, June 23rd, 2012
VonThronstahl
In Cruce Salus!

Forum Posts: 42
Gallery: 0
Comments: 1

This image does not show a knight. You can see archangel Michael who became patron saint of the Germans as he intervened two times after Karl´s Reich has fallen apart in the battles of Unstrud (933 A.D.) and Lechfeld near Augsburg (955 A.D.).

During the first half of the tenth century the pagan Hungarians, a horse people from Asia, posed a threat to the East Frankish Realm. At first King Heinrich I asked for a truce. But since that date he upgraded his army until he decided to cancle his contract in 932 A.D. As a result the Hungarians invaded Thuringia with a tremendous force. Heinrich I faced his enemies at Riade near Ustrut the day of march 15th, 933 A.D. supported by an Franco-Saxon squad. A standard containing an image of archangel Michael was carried ahead by the Christian army.

In 954 when Heinrich´s son Otto holded reign the Hungarians once again invaded the realm plundering and threating to burn. Bavaria and Swabia were hit hard.
At the beginning of august they besieged Augsburg but bishop St. Ulrich was able to defend the city with great skill.
August 10th, 955 A.D. Otto attacked the Hungarians at Lechfeld. He carried the Spear of Destiny, which was the oldest treasure of the the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation, with him. Like his father before him he showed the banner of archangel Michael. As with Riade the Christian army appealed the divine commander for help.

This time the Hungarians were resoundingly defeated.

Lukas 22,36