Absinthe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absinthe & Alchemy

Writers have often accessed a level of visionary experience beyond that of everyday consciousness, but what happens when that vision, fuelled by occultism, alcohol and a nervous breakdown, begins to cross over into madness. GARY LACHMAN examines the case of August Strindberg.

http://www.forteantimes.com/articles...indberg1.shtml

Comment

Absinthe

Alaf Sal Runa!
      I've been enjoying Absenthe for around 6 years now. I love the ritual in preparing this amazing drink and I like the effects. The Thujone effect is unlike anything you'll find in drinking mead, ale, or beer. I find meditating on the runes after drinking absenthe to be surreal. Do any others on this list drink Absenthe?

Wir sind alle Armanen!

Haunebu III

Comment

Absinthe *gags*
        You're drinking pure wormwood, which is a posion, incidently.
        Nah. I prefer Liqueur, rum, vodka and Scnapps (SP?).
        Fuzzy navel, anyone?

Comment

I have never drunk absinthe. I had a buddy drink a bunch of it one night, it was 70% and had lots of that wormwood in it. Well he started having mild hallucinations for about 20 mins on it. If you get certain brands they have hallucinogenic and major psychoactive properties to them much different than most alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsdottir View Post
            Absinthe *gags*
            You're drinking pure wormwood, which is a posion, incidently.
            Nah. I prefer Liqueur, rum, vodka and Scnapps (SP?).
            Fuzzy navel, anyone?
            It's also used in medicine. Absinthe isn't going to hurt anyone. Pure oxygen is toxic as well; that doesn't mean you shouldn't breathe.

Comment

Here's an Absinthe recipe for anyone interested:
              http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/pf-absinthe.html

Comment

I haven't had the pleasure in drinkin' it, unfortunately. I would love to one day though.

Comment

Absinthe

I've been drinking it for about six years now. About once every 2-3 months. I love it. But I love anything that smells and tastes like black licorice or anise. The effect is different than any other alchoholic beverage. More like pot actually. Moderation in all things is the key.

Not all good comes from above!
                  Haunebu III

Comment

I'd really like to try absinthe at some point. I'll probably just buy some from online and just drink it from a shot glass. It sounds good!
                    sigpic

Comment

It is now legal here in the States. You can buy it at any big liqour store for about the price of a low-level bottle of single malt Scotch (or for Haunebu III, about the price of 3/16 of an ounce of good pot ).

Comment

Zimobog I did not know it was legal now here in the States.Could somebody
                        please explain to me how it efects you.I mean is the effects hallucinogenic or
                        is it like drinking Tequila.
                        I have always wanted to try Absinthe after seeing a program on the Discovery
                        Channel that was about Absinthe.Also I love anything that tastes like black licorice.

Comment

Didn't this stuff drive that French painter crazy (Van Gogh, wasn't it?)

I'm not sure, I might have to "wiki" that one but I do know it's been banned in France for quite a while now!

Comment

“Liquid emerald” is how I once heard it described, but the taste is more like liquid licorice.
                            I suppose you have to drink it a while before it grows on you, but the few times I tried it were certainly not enough to convince me otherwise.
                            Maybe I’m just hard to please, but the overall effect was only that of a slight buzz.

I know there is supposed to be a ritual involved when drinking it but when a friend brought a bottle back from Europe we just popped the cap off and passed the thing around the circle.

What we call absinthe today is not what they were drinking back then, when Van Gogh and Toulouse-Lautrec were abusing it. When I was younger this is precisely the reason I wanted to drink it, I wanted to get drunk like the Victorians did.

Also, its appeal became even less for me when Marilyn Manson "discovered" it.
                            He even produces his own brand, which I have heard is just as tasteless as his music.

Absinthe is very pretty to look at , which does have the effect of adding to its allurement.
                            It must certainly stand out in a liquor store where every other liquid is either amber hued or clear.

'Mansinthe' by Marilyn Manson (Not kidding)

Comment

Yes, it has been legal for around 3 years. You can buy a bottle brand: Lucid, product of France for around $65.00. It is made with wormwood - Artemisia absinthium which contains thujones, which are purported to be similar to THC, your mileage may vary...or you can make your own, which I do.
                              (Shameless Plug): I am in the process of re-writing an essay for HEX Magazine on Absinthe. Contact me off list if you would like my recipe.

Comment

Absinthe?

It's ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Now, for a real "Green Fairy" first you have to find some opium ... This isn't exactly a drink that is currently Legal.

Comment

Working...
                                X