"Recipes from the American Kitchen"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Recipes from The American Kitchen"

This is a great recipe. Very healthy, light and delicious. On the farm, most of the time, we have plenty of blueberries, watermelons and pecans. My husband always says that it ain't a Southern farm without these three.
    Georgia

Fruit Confetti and Pecans with Kiwi-Watermelon Dressing

3 cups medium-diced seedless watermelon
    1 Granny Smith apple, cored and medium-diced
    1 mango, peeled and medium-diced
    1/2 cup blueberries, preferably small wild ones
    2 kiwi, peeled and medium-diced
    6 oz vanilla yogurt (custard-style)
    2 tsp honey
    2/3 cup pecan halves, toasted

1.Combine 2 cups watermelon, apple, mango, blueberries, and
    1 kiwi.
    2. In blender, combine remaining 1 cup watermelon, 1 kiwi, the
    yogurt, and honey; puree until of dressing consistency.
    3. Just before serving, set aside 18 pecan halves for garnish.
    4. Chop remaining pecans and stir into fruit mixture.
    5. Spoon dressing onto each plate, mount fruit confetti in center
    and garnish with reserved pecan halves.

Source: Georgia Pecan Commission
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past.
    Patrick Henry

Comment

Sv: Re: "Recipes from The American Kitchen"

German Kuchen

from Mary Lynn Axtman, Fargo, ND
      From Grandma Barbara Bickler

2 cups flour
      1/2 cup sugar
      1/2 cup cream
      1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
      pinch of salt
      anise extract--3 drops

Mix and roll to fit an 8 or 9 inch pie platter. Spread with a mixture of:
      1 egg [beaten]
      1/2 cup cream [whipped]
      1/2 cup sugar

Bake at 375 until brown.

About Barbara Bohl Bickler:

Barbara was born in Mariental village in 1898, the daughter of Nicholas Bohl from Mariental and Magdalena Burckhard from Strassburg. Her maternal grandparents were Andrew Burckhard from Strassburg and Lonila Schiele from Mannheim. She was 4 years old when she accompanied her parents, grandparents and uncles & aunts to the USA in 1902. They all settled first in the Fallon/ Flasher, North Dakota area of Morton County. Her parents and family then homesteaded in the Fulda area of Pierce County, ND. She married Lewis Bickler in 1916 and they raised a family of 10 children.
      Mother is the name of God in the lips and hearts of children.

Comment

Pecan-Crusted Salmon and Potato Cake

Ingredients:
        3 tsp olive oil
        3/4 cup chopped onion
        1 pound 4ounce shredded potatoes
        14-ounce can sockeye salmon, drained
        1 tbs chopped fresh dill (optional)
        1 large egg, beaten
        1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
        2/3 cup chopped pecans

Preparation:
        1. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium
        heat. Add onion and cook until softened - appr. 5 minutes.
        2. In a large bowl, combine the onion, potatoes, salmon, dill and salt and pepper.
        Mix in beaten eggs until well blended.
        3. Add remaining 2 tsp oil to same non-stick skillet and swirl to coat bottom
        and sides with oil. Heat over medium heat. Add pecans and spread
        in single layer on bottom. Top with potato mixture, spreading evenly
        and firmly to fill skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low 25 minutes.
        Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
        4. To serve, top skillet with a large flag plate or baking sheet, turned upside
        down. Invert the skillet and plate (or sheet) to unmold the potato cake. Cut in
        wedges to serve.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past.
        Patrick Henry

Comment

BBQ Country Ribs

Ingredients:

2 lbs country style pork ribs
          Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, lay ribs in shallow13x9 or larger pan, roast for 30 min. Be sure to drain well before applying sauce.

Sauce:
          1 tbsp olive oil
          1 med. onion, chopped or grated
          1 green pepper, chopped
          1/2 cup celery, chopped
          4 tbsp lemon juice
          2 tbsp brown sugar
          3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
          1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
          1 cup ketchup
          1 cup water
          1/2 tsp dry mustard (mild or hot)
          1 tsp celery salt
          Sauté onions, pepper and celery in oil till soft. Add all other ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes. Pour sauce over ribs (after 30 min. roasting period) and roast for another 1-1/2 to 2 hours at 325 degrees F.

Serve with your favorite vegetable(s) and/or salad.
          Patrick Henry

Comment

Homemade biscuits ~ my mother-in-law could whip them up and roll them out in no time. The best I ever ate. Hot, mouth-watering...and soooo good!
            Georgia

Southern Biscuits

2 packages dry yeast
            1/4 cup warm water
            2 cups warm buttermilk
            5 cups flour
            1/3 cup sugar
            1 tbs baking powder
            1 tsp baking soda
            1-1/4 tsp salt
            1 cup shortening

Mix water and yeast, then add buttermilk. Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening, then add yeast mixture. Roll out 1/2-inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter and place on greased pan. Let rise 1 hour. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

[><][><][><][><]

Southern Biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour
            1 tbs baking powder
            3/4 tsp salt
            1/2 tsp baking soda
            5 tbs chilled butter
            1 cup milk, buttermilk can be used
            1 tbs sugar

Preheat oven to 425.

In large bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar.

Cut the butter into this mixture until it is coarse crumbs.

Add milk, a little at a time and toss 'til you get a dough that sticks together. But not too sticky.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gather into a disk shape and knead lightly a few times just til smooth.
            Pat the dough to 3/4 inch thick and cut .
            Place on ungreased cookie sheet & bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.
            Patrick Henry

Comment

Since I want to re-open this thread, and it is all about home cooking, I thought I start with a picture of the "Sour Cream Pound Cake," recipe found above.
              The picture was taken at an earlier supper at some point over the last two years or so. I baked the cake in two different cake pans, you can clearly see the difference. I hope many more women and men will join and bring more "Recipes from The American Kitchen."

Thank you kindly - Georgi
              a

Click image for larger version

Name:	Supper with Cakes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	1348171
              Patrick Henry

Comment

Southern Peach Cobbler (per Georgia)

1. 2 cups sugar
                2. 1 cup vegetable oil
                3. 3 eggs
                4. 3 cups self-rising flower
                5. cinnamon (optional)
                6. 2 - 3 cups peaches

Mix ingredients well. Bake at 350 degrees F until done, about one hour. Serve warm with or without ice cream.

Attached Files
                Patrick Henry

Comment

Banana Pudding:
                  3 boxes Vanilla Pudding
                  1 box French Vanilla Pudding
                  1 box Banana Cream Pudding
                  Prepare as per instructions

Once cool add 1 can of condensed sweetened milk and 10 ounces of Cool Whip. Mix well. Then add sliced bananas and Vanilla Wafers. I prefer the generic brands. Top with small layer of Cool Whip, decorate and refrigerate unless serving right away.
                  Attached Files
                  Patrick Henry

Comment

Six Pack

This is a Southern recipe what has spread to Middle-Europe too. The two part are a Six Pack and a beautiful American girl.

Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    "Remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus,"or that virtue "was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice."
                    /King Baldwin IV in the Kingdom of Heaven/

Comment

I know this may be cliché, but it is a burger recipe that is popular around here somewhat.

Stuffed Burgers

1 lbs (.5 K) lean ground beef or venison
                      1 lbs (.5K) lean ground pork
                      1 handful thinly sliced mushrooms ( I like portabella )
                      6 thin onion slices
                      1 handful diced gherkins
                      Salz
                      Pfeffer
                      blauer Käse
                      8 Kaiser rolls

mix all the meat together and separate into 16 equal sized balls and make thin patties. On eight of those patties place mushrooms, an onion slice, a small amount of diced gherkins, and a small amount of blauer Käse. Now take the remaining eight patties and put them on top of the others and seal the edges so that the stuffing does not show.

Cook them on a grill or cast iron skillet until they are medium done and the Käse is starting to melt through the cracks.

Serve them on the rolls with lettuce and senf or whatever you like. These go great with biers or sweet tea and salad of some kind.
                      Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.sigpic

Comment

Carrot Cake

2 cups of sugar

2 c self-rising flour

2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 c canola oil

4 medium eggs, slightly beaten

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 c freshly grated carrots

1 cup of fine chopped pecans

Pour into well greased 3 round cake pans, usually three of them and bake at 325-350 until layers test done using a tooth pick (approx 25-30 min). For a more layer cake (like I baked, displayed on the picture) double the recipe. Once baked and cooled, the layers are ready to be frosted and stacked.

Frosting (3 layer cake):

4 boxes of cream cheese

1 1/2 cup of powder sugar (depending on taste, a little less may be used)

4 ounces of melted butter

1/2 cup of roasted fine chopped pecans (a little butter in a pan, add pecans and bake in oven, stirring frequently until brown). Before adding them to the frosting mixture, be sure they are cool enough to do so.
                        Attached Files
                        Patrick Henry

Comment

As we get very close to Thanksgiving, I will start by telling you not to listen to this woman. Roast Turkey can be very good by itself if done correctly.

WHAT NOT TO DO!!!!!

Just put the F*cking Turkey in the Oven

I will quote and reply to this post later when I have more time with the correct way to roast a turkey.
                          Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SpearBrave View Post
                            I will quote and reply to this post later when I have more time with the correct way to roast a turkey.
                            OK, so, here goes a try at teaching one of the few things I'm good at cooking.

I wanted to post pictures, but I also wanted to get this posted soon enough to that people can try it. As I will not roast this until early Thanksgiving morning. The bad thing is I will be alone this year, but I will still cook a Turkey as I also love Turkey leftovers.

1 large Turkey frozen or fresh. Do not use wild turkey, it will not work, the only good tasting wild turkey comes in a bottle from Kentucky.
                            2 loaves white bread
                            2 onions
                            1 whole bunch of celery with leaves
                            Salz
                            Pfeffer
                            Poultry Seasoning ( a mixture of sage and other herbs )
                            .5 Kilo butter
                            2 eggs
                            milk
                            fresh grated Orange peel about 2 Tbs.
                            Turkey sized oven bag.
                            small amount of Flour
                            large roasting pan.

If frozen thaw the Turkey and remove the giblets ( liver, heart, gizzard ), neck and gravy pack on some of them. Throw the gravy pack away it is horrible also throw away the neck.

Dice one Onion and Celery with leaves.

Dice up the giblets into very small pieces.

In a skillet with a small amount of butter brown the giblets and onion/celery mix and let cool.

Beat eggs and about 1 C. milk together and mix in the cooled giblets/veggie mix.

Now take the bread and make little cubes out of it in a large bowl.
                            Season the bread cubes with Salz, Pfeffer, Poultry Seasoning and toss it together. Very carefully toss in the egg/giblet mixture trying not to squish the bread cubes.

Rinse out both front and back cavities of the Turkey. Pat dry the inside and out with a clean cotton towel. Season the cavities with Salz and place the other onion in the front cavity( peeled of course ). Start stuffing the bird with the bread cube mixture being careful not to squish the stuffing to much. Tie the legs back together or use that plastic thing that comes with some Turkeys.

Most Important Step
                            With your clean dry hands work the skin loose from the meat on the breast and thighs. Try and not rip the skin so handle it like you would any bird, very gently and soft. Rub soft butter all over between the meat and skin, as much as you can. Now sew the skin and cavities up with butchers twine.
                            Rub more soft butter all over the outside of the bird. Sprinkle the orange peel all over the outside and more Salz, Pfeffer and Poultry Seasoning.

Take the small amount of flour and coat the inside of the oven bag. Place buttered Turkey inside the bag carefully and into the roasting pan. Add about 2 C. water in the bottom of the bag. Cut a small slit in the top of the bag about 2cm above the Turkey. and seal the front of the bag up with a twist tie.

Pre heat your oven to 350 F, and place the Turkey in the oven for one hour at 350 F. then turn the oven down to 200 F and let cook at least 5 more hours ( more if it is a real big Turkey.) The Turkey will be done when you can move the legs freely from the body. After you are sure the Turkey is done cut the bag away to expose the Turkey and baste with the juice in the bottom of the pan. Set the oven on broil to brown the skin. I also use a propane blow torch to very carefully darken the skin to Golden Brown, it is just for show and makes a better looking table.

Now, remove the Turkey and pan from the oven and let cool about 45 min. After it is cool carefully cut open the twine and legs holder things and remove the stuffing from both cavities. Place stuffing in a presentable table bowl. Now the tricky part is to lift the Turkey out of the pan and place it on a Turkey platter for the table. Make sure you trim off any unsightly things of string or loose skin, meat or whatever and use some good looking garnish.

Make sure the Turkey is cool before you slice it and it will be the most tender and juicy Turkey you will ever eat. :dinner

Serve with the stuffing, cranberries, salad, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, and other traditional side dishes.

Make sure you have pumpkin pie for desert.

Maybe Georgia will post a version or a pumpkin pie recipe.

Comment

I think I am getting ready to head toward your place to have me some good food, SpearBrave.

I have never baked a Pumpkin Pie. My mother-in-law used to bake it and share it with my husband and children. They all like(d) Pumpkin Pie.

There are many recipes, I couldn't find the Mennonite cookbook I have so I just went on line. The link has many recipe for Pumpkin Pie, this one seems to be easy to make and the ingredients are good.

Ingredients
                              • 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
                              • 3/4 cup sugar
                              • 1/2 teaspoon salt
                              • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
                              • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
                              • pinch nutmeg
                              • 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
                              • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
                              • 1 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
                              • 2 tablespoons water
                              • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
                              • 1 unbaked pastry shell (9-inch)
                              • whipped cream or whipped topping, for garnish
                              • Prep Time: 15 minutes
                              • Cook Time: 50 minutes
                              Patrick Henry

Comment

Originally posted by Georgia View Post
                                I think I am getting ready to head toward your place to have me some good food, SpearBrave.

I have never baked a Pumpkin Pie. My mother-in-law used to bake it and share it with my husband and children. They all like(d) Pumpkin Pie.
                                You are welcome, but you better leave now, I think it might be at least a 10 hour drive depending on where you live in Georgia dinner will be around 14:00. If you do I will then have to put on clean overalls and set two places at the table. Oh, bring that +Suomut+ character with you, he lives down your way somewhere.

I don't think Pie is a German food, it might be either a English or even a American thing, I'm not really sure other than it is traditional Thanksgiving to have pumpkin pie for desert.

I grew a few pumpkins and have already cooked a pureed them, so it will be my first time at making a pumpkin pie, I will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                                X