No announcement yet.

How to Make Sushi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We tried homemade sushi a few weeks ago.

It was quite easy and cheap. Rice is quite cheap at chinese / asian shops.

You can put nearly anything into the rice rolls. If you don´t like fish you can try meat instead, like chicken. If you don´t like meat you can also try cucumbers etc.

It takes a lot of time if you´re inexperienced but like everything in life if try it often enough its becomes easier. It´s good to buy a solid equipment like really sharp knives to cut the ingredients really small or a a good bamboo mat to roll the sushi.

As it is eaten cold you can even cook a kilo of rice and make susi rolls from it. We got some 200 out of it. All we didn´t eat we put in the fridge. All you need to do defrost ist, is to put 4 -5 hours out of the fridge and it is ready to eat. Thats what I do. I put some of them off the fridge, go to work and when I finished there is a nice Lunch / Dinner ready.

Comment

I love sushi, it's one of my favorite foods (although I have loads of favorites, which probably devalues that statement somewhat). I like to have it as a light, healthy lunch sometimes. I have observed that people who do not like the raw fish component, or who are simply vegetarians/vegans may enjoy it with an avocado filling instead (which is delicious with a good soy sauce). Tofu is also a good alternative.
      But personally I can handle the real deal.

Comment

I started eating Sushi about a decade back, when it first became fashionable in select and Japanese restaurants.

It was nice, especially, the sashimi (slices of fish).
        Since apart from fish I'm vegetarian, the taste was refreshing and the seed-weed (maki) and omega oils in the fish seemed very healthy.
        The wasabi does wonders for a blocked nose.

Nowadays it's become a fast food that's usually tasteless, and the rice is usually old or dry.
        Every cheap Chinese place that's suddenly appeared sells it, and it's low quality.

I recall a German documentary on the tricks some of these places use to make old salmon look red and fresh.

Then I've also heard of health scares, especially concerning regional tuna and salmon. Tuna can harbor mercury pollution, and salmon (especially close to seal populations) can have parasites and worm eggs that hatch inside people. Only certain kinds of freezing kill the parasites. Yet ironically, many top sushi chefs prefer unfrozen salmon!

I'd only eat vegetarian sushi these days (when it's on special), and home-made sushi is probably a good option.

It can be very nice with health benefits.
        But do inform yourself about the fish.

Certain kinds of freezing (one can apparently do at home) will kill the parasites in salmon, and of course parasite risks also exist in other foods like undercooked beef, pork, or even unwashed vegetables.
        Nevertheless, in some cases sushi has caused some nasty complications:

Monster Inside Me on Sushi Risks.

Recommended freezing of salt-water salmon (although some farmed fish is apparently guaranteed parasite free, generally fresh-water fish is not recommended for sushi):

Freezing is often used to kill parasites. According to European Union regulations,[5] freezing fish at −20°C (−4°F) for 24 hours kills parasites. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends freezing at −35°C (−31°F) for 15 hours, or at −20°C (−4°F) for 7 days.[6]
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi#Safety

Comment

I dont really eat out and a lot of food cooked by fastfood and chain place's have next to no hygeine standard's. I know so many people who ve eaten out at Mcdonald's, mexican, chinese and japanese food and theyve been sick from undercooked food they got there. And thats when its cooked. Sushi doesnt even see a frying pan and when you think of where chef's hand's have been, especially when most are illegal immigrant's and school dropout's you are going to get sick. I don't know any Japanese chef's or people, but alot of my friend's from school when they left got fulltime or partime job's at place's like Maccy D's and they even admit they cant cook even though its their job. I just stay clear.

Comment

This German documentary follows sushi making from a "sushi factory" in Germany to home delivery (within 40 minutes).

The documentary highlights that:

- It takes three years in Japan just for an apprentice to learn how to cook the rice properly, and it it must be just correctly fermented.
            - The EU guidelines for freezing salmon are repeated (minus 20 degrees for 24 hours), and in the documentary it's also put on a light contraption to check for visible parasites.
            - Blue fin tuna is now endangered and rarely used, while it appears that the salmon is farmed in the sea. There's also a movement to boycott restaurants that still use blue fin tuna.
            - What is known as "crabsticks" in SA is a central ingredient of California rolls. In some countries they call it "surimi": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_stick
            The name is misleading, and it's various fish compressed, mixed with gelatine or egg, and then boiled and dyed in a factory. It is not a natural product, but also has no risk of parasites.
            Some commentators call it a misleading con.

Although eating sushi in Japan is nothing special according to one commentator, I'd prefer a trained Japanese person making it, and my heart sinks when I see waiters from the Congo preparing sushi in SA.
            Let's just say that food-poisoning from seafood has become common in SA, especially in some franchise restaurants, when a few years back it was almost unknown.

Nevertheless, when properly made, the health benefits are significant.
            One commentator mentions the low rate of certain cancers and heart diseases in Japan compared to the West, and the benefits of raw and fermented foods.

Here the documentary section on sushi from Spiegel TV (I think I've mentioned the main points for non-German speakers):

Sushi: Fast Food?

Comment

I dont get it.. Why eat sushi? When you can eat this.

Fresh hering with onion.

Sour hering with a piece of pickle in it, we call it 'Rolmops'

Beats sushi
              ''Ginds de Waal, daar weer de IJssel, dan de Maas en ook de Rijn. Geeft ons recht om heel ons leven trots op Gelderland te zijn.''

Comment

Well, for those still enthusiastic about making sushi, there are entire sets and special "sushi" rice available, but whether your filling will be traditional raw fish, vegan or a trendy Western fusion (like Camembert, local smoked fish or meats), here's some basics on making the sticky rice:

Preparing "sticky rice" for Sushi.

How to roll the sushi:

Tips for rolling Sushi.

Comment

I honestly do not see the widespread popularity of sushi and Japanese cuisine in general amongst western people as necessarily a bad thing. It is extremely healthy and not a million miles away from the traditional Northern European diet, which also includes a good deal of seafood and natural ingredients. Wouldn't you rather people tucked into sushi on occasion than Burger King all the time? We have never had a problem accepting non European culinary traditions into our own when we wanted some variety. We should not make one now.

Comment

I tend to agree Tigerlilly, although I'm suspicious of eating raw fish for reasons given on the previous page, but I think the seaweed (nori) alone is filling and nutritional.
                    A nice inexpensive nori hand-roll including avocado, a little mayo and sesame seeds is healthy and delicious!
                    The pickled ginger helps for upset tummy, and the wasabi paste helps for a blocked sinus.

My grandfather first told us as kids how the potato and tomato were introduced to Europe from the Americas, and they were not popularly accepted at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Friedrich
                      I'm suspicious of eating raw fish...
                      The pickled ginger helps for upset tummy, and the wasabi paste helps for a blocked sinus.
                      The special vinegar, the pickled ginger and the wasabi are all there to help kill bacteria.

I like sushi a lot, and it's much better for our health than burger and kebab shops. What we get in the west are not usually real wasabi though.

Comment

This is true, or at least it is claimed.
                        However, at least for Pacific salmon none of these ingredients actually killed the parasites in the documentary I previously mentioned.
                        Even the adult worms they pulled from the fresh salmon swam happily in the stuff.

Incidentally, Wasabi sold outside Japan is likely to be horseradish and mustard with starch and colorants, and has nothing to do with Japanese Wasabi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasabi

I think to say these condiments kill the parasites is a bit of a mental placation these days.
                        However, ginger is known to be good for tummy upsets, and it's inexpensive in various forms.
                        For sushi it would be worth investing in a well pickled variety for taste.
                        A lot nowadays is tasteless and watery.

Real Japanese Wasabi like we used to get does have a range of traditional health properties, and some even associate this plant with Japanese longevity, rather than anything else.

So for home-made sushi, I'd insist on real Wasabi:

Outside of Japan (and even in Japan), the spicy green paste served with sushi or Sashimi is commonly called Wasabi. However, typically, this Wasabi paste is in fact European Horseradish root (Armoracia rusticana) and colouring, and contains very little or no part of the true Wasabia japonica plant.
                        http://wasabi.org/articles/medical-u...abia-japonica/

Although not as fancy or exotic as Wasabi (and maybe not as strong), European horseradish is also a tasty condiment, and has medicinal uses, so it's a bit funny that we're having the same stuff our grandparents knew sold back to us in a different and adulterated guise!
                        http://www.herballegacy.com/Horseradish.html

Comment

Mmm...I'd love some of that Herring above.

We used to get them here, but now this is only imported or available in a jar, and it's very expensive.
                          I think in SA our sea is over-fished, and the ANC has let our fish-stocks fall into ruin.
                          Never mind the variety of fish we used to enjoy, or the crayfish and "perlemoen". Now it's just hake and "snoek" for the locals. Even our prized Kingklip is off the menu in most places.

Sushi went the other way around, and first it was very expensive, and now it's cheaper.
                          It doesn't taste the same, and it's a lot of smoke and mirrors, and my personal suspicion is that a lot of these new Chinese restaurants focused on sushi are involved in money laundering. I don't trust them.

In any case, for the health conscious cook or customer of good sushi, it is not always low calorie. Essentially eating plate after plate is like having bowls of starchy white rice, and fats are piled on with cheaply farmed fish that doesn't move (high in fat), mayonnaise, fried ingredients, egg and too much avocado. The sodium content can also be shockingly high with some soy sauces.
                          Apparently healthier brown rice is available in some countries or outlets, and so is reduced sodium soy sauce.

Men's Health Magazine would suggest a bowl of Miso soup as a filler for slimmers, and then one serving of a basic roll.
                          Calories can be low for a humble cucumber roll, but reach whopping levels for a tempura roll.
                          The home cook might consider the calorie content of various rolls:
                          http://eatthis.menshealth.com/node/77175

Comment

Never tried sushi....but I like Scandinavian's raw fishes (just salted ones or cold smoked ones).

Comment

Working...
                            X