Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Alcohol an Integral Part of Germanic Culture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Australia, drinking is considered the only activity worth anything. I like the European approach of drinking in moderation rather than getting drunk beyond comprehension every weekend.

I think to be able to enjoy a couple of drinks is a sign of self control and maturity. And in that respect alcohol is a German trait and of course beer and other drinks are culturally very Germanic.
    I grew up on a belief of honour, courage and the old world values. The world isn't about that anymore, preferring to die a slow death of fast food and cheap thrills.

Comment

Originally posted by wallflower View Post
      Look no further

There's beer in those pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by Astrid Runa View Post
        I don't mind alcohol, but I despise people who get drunk just for the sake of being drunk. Alcohol turns people into rats, it shows a side of people that you don't want to see. Irresponsible, careless and sometimes just downright violent. I hate it when people get drunk... I've seen what it does to people and it saddens me. It really does.
        In vino veritas..., actually many people just hide this real face under mask, while sober.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungen av Norden View Post
          Do you think alcohol drinking is an integral part of our Germanic culture, and should it be treated differently than the use of other drugs??
          Yes, see symbel.

Obviously, alcohol has been an element of many ancient cultures, including ours, for better or worse. I imagine many people here (like myself) drink casually on some occasions. Then there's others who never drink at all, prefering to be healthy at all times. What do you think about drinking culture among Germanic men and women??
          It's gotten out of hand as no-one learns self-control anymore. You used to go to pubs where there was a broad cross-section of men (women rarely drank on their own) of different ages. Whilst the younger ones would get drunk fast, the presence of the older and wiser men tended to discourage such activity. Nowadays 18 year olds (obviously doesn't apply where drinking laws are uncivilised ) gather in huge bars where no-one's over 21 and they compete to get wasted. No-one condemns their actions (other than sensationalist news articles), the police and their parents turn a blind eye.

Last, but not least, what kinds of alcoholic drinks do you favor yourselves?
          Beer, mead, whiskey, gin.

Originally posted by Blackened_Might View Post
          Norwegians, Russians, Germans, Irishmen, Britons, Scots, Italians, Spaniards, Swedes..
          There's a thread over on the England forum about the difference between Briton and Englishman (ignore pages 2-5 about whose DNA survey is best ). Apparently there's some confusion among foreigners (actually there's a lot of confusion amongst the British too ) regarding the term Briton/British. In this case I believe you mean English, as the Irish and Scots are Britons too (although all three of us have been known to deny this fact vehemently ).

Comment

Originally posted by wallflower View Post
            Of course they don't drink, most Germans and all Bavarians know that.

Irishmen THINK they know how to drink but they do not. Maybe other parts of the world think the Irish drink well, but to the German, and to a greater extent, the Bavarian, Irish drinking is out in left field.
            Meanwhile, in Europe..

Comment

Originally posted by Kungen av Norden View Post
              Do you think alcohol drinking is an integral part of our Germanic culture, and should it be treated differently than the use of other drugs?
              Well, lots of drugs are part of our ancient culture. Used in rituals, mostly.

Alcohol can, like all drugs, be done in moderation. And I don't hate drugs...just their users.

What do you think about drinking culture among Germanic men and women?
              Casual drinking can be fun. But I really HATE the binge-drinking culture so common in Sweden. "Whoooooo! Let's drink until we puke our guts out and crawl home!"
              So disgusting and stupid. I know, it's exciting when you're a teenager...but I grew out of the let's-get-wasted stage at the age of 16. Many adults, who should know better, are still stuck in it.

Here's a fun fact about alcohol: The effects of booze on your behavior are actually determined by social norms, NOT by the chemical reactions of ethanol in your brain. That basic fact has been proven again and again. It’s a placebo, in a weird way. In some cultures, drinking is associated with violence and fighting, and there’s a real forbidden-fruit relationship to booze. In others, drinking is pretty easy-going. To put it short: when most people get wasted, they behave according to their beliefs about alcohol.

Everyone’s really surprised when I tell them this. "OMG REALLY? THERE’S CUNTRYS WHERE THEY DON’T KNOW BOOZE MAKES U VIOLENT???" – and they usually don’t believe me anyway. It’s impossible to convince Swedes that I’m not making this up. This is an ingrained belief. It’s like trying to explain to a mud-hut Bantu tribe that you will not cure AIDS by raping albinos.

Last, but not least, what kinds of alcoholic drinks do you favor yourselves?
              As I said, I drink in moderation, but there's plenty I like: Sangria wine, sweet rums, Grolsch beer, fruit-flavored girly cocktails (I know, it's an utter sin ). My favorites would be Mojito, triple sec, and white wine.

Comment

I have worked in pubs

And in my experience the more drink the more violence

Some people are horrible drunks

When I was younger I would just hit the vodka as I got smashed quicker

Nowadays I go more with beer
                Our beauty is our power, our strength. We can’t allow them to change us, to lessen us. I will never grant them that satisfaction, and neither should you!

White Oleander

Comment

Yes I do think drinking alcohol is part of Germanic culture. It is bad however if it is abused. I used to drink a lot, but hardly ever got drunk. I like a glass of beer at lunch time and a good Kentucky bourbon in the evening. I will admit though recently I have almost quit drinking for health reasons.

It is very hard to not have a beer at a German festival or a cookout, somehow it just does not seem the same.
                  Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.sigpic

Comment

my favourite drink is 100 ml of vodka, with pint of beer, and strawberry/raspberry juice on the bottom(not stirred, that's most important)
                    great after sport and during these scorching days.

don't think it's bad to health, gives relief to muscles, and cheers You up a bit.

Comment

I don't drink, never had even a taste of alcohol, I don't have any desire to try.
                      Ein Kampf, Ein Sieg! Fur Prussia!

Comment

Originally posted by Eliite View Post
                        Meanwhile, in Europe..

Well, that´s only Germany as a whole. If they would count our state of Bavaria alone, we would be above Ireland and Czech Republic. There was a similar article in the local newspaper recently.

To ask a Bavarian if being Germanic and drinking alcohol fit together is like a rhetorical question of the funny sort... Bavaria is the home of the Beer Purity Law. I´ll let some photos speak:

sigpic
                        "Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Thusnelda View Post
                          To ask a Bavarian if being Germanic and drinking alcohol fit together is like a rhetorical question of the funny sort... Bavaria is the home of the Beer Purity Law. I´ll let some photos speak:
                          It's liquid bread, not alcohol. It belongs to our nutritional basics.

Merkel hands out money like clowns hand out balloons at a party.

Comment

To ask a Bavarian if being Germanic and drinking alcohol fit together is like a rhetorical question of the funny sort... Bavaria is the home of the Beer Purity Law.
                            Which coincidentally doesn't only mean our tribe likes beer, but also that it likes, good quality beer, exclusively.
                            -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
                            -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
                            -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Comment

Originally posted by Germaid View Post
                              It's liquid bread, not alcohol. It belongs to our nutritional basics.
                              That´s a basic law, of course. Just like smart medieval Bavarian monks bypassed the required annual fasting period for Catholics from Ash Wednesday to Easter (where only fish and beer is allowed, but no red meat) by "changing" pork hocks and roast pork to fish through baptizing: They said "Ego te papam carpem!" (="Ich taufe dich Karpfen!" = "I baptize you carp!") before the meal and so they could eat the meat without any "religious problems"....
                              sigpic
                              "Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Well, that´s only Germany as a whole. If they would count our state of Bavaria alone, we would be above Ireland and Czech Republic. There was a similar article in the local newspaper recently.
                                Hey that very well may be the case and I wouldn't argue it. It's worth noting however that the state of Bavaria is actually slightly bigger than the entire Republic of Ireland and has about 3 times as many people, so even if the rest of the country were removed there is a good chance Ireland would still be higher per capita. As I said though that wasn't even my arguement as the Czechs are even higher than Ireland, but all the Germans drinking the Irish under the table talk was a bit too much hot air for my liking when the stats can actually back up the opposite. There's pride and there's silliness.

Comment

Working...
                                X