Menu of the Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegan lunch today.
    Mushroom and spinach risotto. I played a bit with various herbs and it turned out nice.

Attached Files
    in die Kirche gehen wir nicht
    der Papst das ist ein Arschgesicht
    die Pfaffen wollen wir kastrieren
    die Eier an die Kirchtür schmieren

Comment

Spinach, some meat, accompanied by a glass of red wine.
      The sense of honor is of so fine and delicate a nature that
      it is only to be met with in minds which are naturally noble or
      cultivated by good examples and a refined education.
      - Sir Richard Steele

Comment

Sheep's head which has been smoked and then simmered for a couple of hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalahove

Comment

I'm mainly vegetarian, although I'm partial to a good piece of fish, prawns or mussels.

However, as far as plants go I love, love, love globe artichokes.

Apparently it's one of the most healthiest and medicinal plant foods:

Artichoke contains the bioactive agents apigenin and luteolin.[2]

The total antioxidant capacity of artichoke flower heads is one of the highest reported for vegetables.[3] Cynarine is a chemical constituent in Cynara. The majority of the cynarine found in artichoke is located in the pulp of the leaves, though dried leaves and stems of artichoke also contain it. It inhibits taste receptors, making water (and other foods and drinks) seem sweet.[4]
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artichoke

Usually here they are prohibitively expensive.
          About R40 a globe.
          And then people who never eat them say you throw half of it away, so for that money we rather get broccoli, or something else.

However, we're just in the artichoke season here where you can get two globes for R25.

Oh flip what a treat with a nice dipping sauce.
          Any suggestions?

P.S. Did I mention that I liked artichokes?

Comment

Originally posted by Friedrich View Post
            Oh flip what a treat with a nice dipping sauce.
            Any suggestions?
            Olive oil, vinegar and mustard dressing of course!!!

- Whisk mustard and vinegar together with salt and pepper.
            - Whisk in oil and a drop of water to soften the acidity (water optional).
            - Optionally add finely chopped chive or parsley

Quick and easy. Use 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Adjust the mustard to your liking. I've never eaten artichokes with another sauce personally...

Comment

My daughter is coming this afternoon. So I am cutting some Smoked Beef Sausage in small round pieces, and together with red and green bell peppers and onions, some broccoli as well, sauté all of it until down. I also got cabbage in the pan on the stove to fix fried cabbage. I usually just add a bit of a good olive oil, salt, pepper, as well as touch of BADIA Complete Seasoning to it. The first mixture is served over ProteinPLUS Spaghetti, the cabbage as a side. The meal is not only tasty but healthy. Takes less than one hour to prepare, cook and serve. The pasta can be substituted for rice or even potatoes. I would grate them for faster cook time unless one already has some cooked potatoes in the Schale.

The veggie mixture can be bought in the freezer section of the local market, the sausage package can be frozen as well, pasta and rice are staple goods. Surprise company is easily served, just prepare some homemade cornbread or biscuits as a side. Ingredients for those usually are staple goods as well. I don't drink milk so I always keep powdered milk around. And for afternoon coffee hour Apfelküchle are perfect. Don't have enough of apples or apples big enough. Just take the ones you have and grate them up and put them directly into the pancake batter. Works well and is so good.

Guten Appetit!

Georgia
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past.
              Patrick Henry

Comment

Daily Menu

sigpic
                "Remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus,"or that virtue "was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice."
                /King Baldwin IV in the Kingdom of Heaven/

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfaz View Post
                  Replace those Marabous with Camels or cigars and I have had that many times.

Tonight though I have a real special treat....bachelor special, some kind of out of bag side dish that cooks in only eight minutes. Oh, you can just taste the nutrition and goodness with every bite.

Last edited by SpearBrave; Thursday, November 17th, 2016, 03:47 AM. Reason: attachments
                  Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.sigpic

Comment

Movie afternoon at my house, my daughter and I. Just one movie I recorded. And an early supper prior...Roast with potatoes, carrots and onions and a mixed salad with dressing as desired. Not to forget the homemade biscuits, a real treat with butter and honey. I prefer a boneless chuck roast, a little bit of fat enhances the taste. I season the roast, sear it, put it into a oven proof plastic baking bag and add carrots, potatoes and onions. I use the searing "products" to prepare the gravy, which I pour over the ingredients in the bag. Close the bag, put one or two small holes for ventilation and bake it at 350 degrees F for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. For dessert Blueberry Crunch, the recipe found here (left overs go home with my daughter so her boyfriend can have some good supper as well as he had to work late):

Georgia

https://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=56508
                    Attached Files
                    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past.
                    Patrick Henry

Comment

Politically Non-Correct Food

sigpic
                      "Remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus,"or that virtue "was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice."
                      /King Baldwin IV in the Kingdom of Heaven/

Comment

Herring... yum!
                        I always eat lots of onions with it and end up with stomach pain for the rest of the day. But I can't help myself, it's damn good that way

Comment

Fresh Deer steaks, I killed two deer over the weekend both does. I generally only kill one buck every year as state law only lets you kill one buck. There are so many deer that we have to try our best a cull the herd though I just keep seeing more and more every year.

With the steaks I cooked some mushrooms and onions, plus I had a small salad with cranberries and walnuts.

Tomorrow I will put a deer roast in the slow cooker with some garlic, onions, turnips, celery and have sort of a stew. I would love some potatoes, but I have been really good about not eating very many of them.

Wednesday night I will take some of the deer scraps and pressure cook them to make goulash with paprika and onions served with either potato dumplings or Spätzle. I love goulash made from deer meat and paprika.

Then Thursday I will roast a Turkey with stuffing and a few sides. After that I will eat leftover Turkey for some time and finally make Turkey and Spätzle soup.

So that should round out the week, unless I break my diet and eat at some restaurant or something stupid like that.
                          Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.sigpic

Comment

Supper tonight:

Homemade chicken-vegetable-potato soup. Boil fresh whole chicken. Once done, take the chicken out of the stock and let it cool. In the meantime, add to the stock carrots, onions, okra, tomatoes, corn as well as kind of peas one can imagine plus one can of cream of chicken soup, put in Crock Pot and turn on high with lid in place. Once chicken is cooled, debone and cut meat in small pieces and add to soup. Cook it on high in Crock Pot for about 6 hours, don't even have to check on it. Have some home baked cornbread or biscuits to go with this hearty, delicious soup and enjoy. The soup freezes well and keeps the good taste for several weeks in the freezer.

Attached Files
                            Patrick Henry

Comment

Lunch today: pork liver, potatoes and horseradish.

Comment

I had some left-overs for lunch but will have a steak with potatoes and maybe some sauerkraut for dinner. Usually I buy pretty cheap food, so a steak is a treat. I also bought some fish fingers that I have in the freezer, I like them a lot, even if they are made from the off-cuts and leftovers of the filleting process. It's good that they can utilize more of the fish.

Comment

Working...
                                X