Hot Dogs Hike Cancer Risk: Swedish Study

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Dogs Hike Cancer Risk: Swedish Study

Munching regularly on hot dogs and patés may put you at risk of cancer. Processed meats have been shown to increase the risk of pancreatic cancer, in a Swedish study published in the British Journal of Cancer.

The more you eat, the greater the risk. In the study, the risk increased by nearly 20 percent for every 50 grammes of processed meat eaten daily.

50 grams is roughly one hot dog, meaning that a person who eats five hot dogs every day has doubled his or her risk of falling ill.

Pancreatic cancer is unusual, however, so the risk remains relatively low.

The meat itself in products such as bacon, hot dogs and patés isn't what causes cancer. Instead, the processed meats' additives and preservatives, nitrites in particular, turned out to be the culprits.

Nitrites occur in most processed meats. Apart from increasing shelf life, nitrites protect against botulism, a deadly form of food poisoning.

On the other hand, nitrites can also be converted to nitrosamines, a source of cancer.
    http://www.thelocal.se/38504/20120114/

Eh, I wouldn't worry. It seems everything causes cancer now days.

It only says risk anyway, so it's not even a guarantee or anything.
    Proud to be Germanic.

Even though my ancestry is English, Germany is my favorite country.

Comment

I think that this may be in relation to your article

Processed meat may increase risk of pancreatic cancer

TORONTO - Processed meats may lead to an increased risk of pancreatic cancer, according to a review released Friday by the British Journal of Cancer.

The key conclusion suggests eating an extra 50 grams of processed meat every day—approximately equivalent to one sausage—would lead to a 19 per cent increase in the risk of pancreatic cancer.

Processed meats include sausages, hot dogs, deli meats, and bacon. These foods are preserved by smoking, salting, curing or by the addition of chemical preservatives, such as nitrites and nitrates. These nitrogen compounds, which occur naturally in foods, are thought to have possible carcinogenic effects when combined with proteins during digestion.

Toronto-based Registered Dietitian Nicole Springle says it’s easier than you might think to go beyond that extra 50 grams of processed meat in your daily diet.

“Fifty grams is 1.75 ounces. A slice of deli meat is one ounce,” says Springle. How many cold cuts do you put on your sandwich?

The review also looked at red meat and pancreatic cancer and found no overall association. However, red meat consumption averaged higher in men than women, and red meat consumption was positively associated with pancreatic cancer risk in men only.

The review states the association in men could be a chance finding, or may indicate a threshold effect, where risk is heightened only at very high levels of red meat consumption.

“One serving of meat according to Canada’s Food Guide would be 75 grams, however for most people that’s a pretty small serving…considering most restaurants these days have 16-ounce [454 gram] steaks,” says Springle. “So if you’re going out for a 16-ounce steak, that’s your red meat intake for the week.”

The Canadian Cancer Society has listed guidelines for red and processed meats in relation to colorectal cancer on their website since about 2008. Suggestions include saving processed meats for infrequent special occasions, and choosing the leanest red meat available, limited to three servings per week.

Springle notes that red meat is not something she specifically cuts out of her clients’ diets at the Cleveland Clinic Canada.

“I think there is more and more research to indicate, though, that in terms of the processed meats, we really want to be limiting, if not eliminating them from the diet…once a week is really not occasional enough.”

According to the Canadian Cancer Society, an estimated 4,100 Canadians were diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2011 and approximately 3,800 died of the disease. Pancreatic cancer accounted for approximately 2.3 per cent of new cancer cases in 2011.

“The Canadian Cancer Society welcomes this study as it adds to the body of research on the role of diet and cancer, and may help to clarify the link to certain foods,” Director of Cancer Control Policy Gillian Bromfield told Global News. “Pancreatic cancer has a very low relative survival rate, six per cent at five years following diagnosis, so anything we can learn about the causes of this cancer is important.”

In Friday’s British Journal of Cancer press release, study author and Associate Professor Susanna Larsson emphasized the low survival rates associated with pancreatic cancer and pointed to the importance of early diagnosis.

“If diet does affect pancreatic cancer then this could influence public health campaigns to help reduce the number of cases of this disease developing in the first place,” says Larsson.

The review conducted a meta-analysis drawing on 6, 643 pancreatic cases from 11 prospective studies of red and processed meat consumption. Authors admit in their discussion of findings that not all of the studies included in the review made adjustments for possible confounding factors such as a history of diabetes and body mass index.
      http://www.globalnews.ca/health/feat...078/story.html
      All things must come to the soul from it's roots, from where it is planted. The that is beside the running water is fresher, and gives more fruit.

Comment

Damn!!!! I love hot dogs.

Comment

Hot dogs are not allowed through my door. You're not even allowed in my house if you're eating one. Disgusting. VERY disgusting.

Sausage too. Unless it's venison.
          "The mystery and secret of Wotan is not that "knowledge" of him is passed along through clandestine cults or even through the re-discovery of old books and texts--but rather that such knowledge is actually encoded in a mysterious way in the DNA, in the very genetic material, of those who are descended from him." - Secret of the Gothick God of Darkness

Comment

I think it's the nitrates mostly. That's a major problem with most cheap grade ground / hot dog meats.
            Til árs ok friðar

Comment

Cancer or not, one should avoid those cholesterol bombs anyway. It's one of the poorest quality meals available. Better eat a sandwich with fresh ingredients instead of a hot dog...

Comment

I like hot dogs.

Nothing like bbq'ing them over a fire, with some burned parts on the sausages.
                Not healthy, especially the cancer risk. But I eat them extremely rarely.

Most of the time we only have sauages for yule. Like these ones:

The fat % is usually up to 25%.

Morrpølse and others have been very important because of conservation of good etc.

Comment

Nitrates and nitrites used to disinfect processed meat are equally bad. Nitrates and nitrites are metabolically interchangeable, and through a free-radical reaction, spontaneously methylate your DNA! Having damaged DNA is not good! Cancer! Nitrates and nitrites are not necessary if the manufacturer follows more sanitary conditions when processing and packaging the meat. It costs a bit more, but it's worth the money. Unfortunately, I have difficulty finding any meat without nitrates or nitrites.

Comment

Making sausages is very easy, but I guess it will depend on where you got your meat. The best would of course to hunt yorself.

Comment

Working...
                    X