Slow Economy Leads to More Folks Eating at McDonalds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Economy Leads to More Folks Eating at McDonalds

A Fox News article reports: “McDonald’s said Thursday that global sales for restaurants open at least one year rose 7.4 percent in November from a year ago, far above expectations. Analysts were expecting a 4.9 percent rise in same-store sales, according to Dow Jones Newswires.
    Read more here
    http://www.whitecivilrights.com/?p=6425

That's bad... I want McDonalds bankrupt.

Comment

So, slow economy = fast food

I'm not sure I agree with these findings though because (at least here in the UK) it's far dearer to eat out at a McDonalds than it is to prepare your own meals so I doubt that the factors behind this demand for convenience foods are economic ones.

Comment

I always though it was more expensive to eat at fast food places compared to cooking your own food. I read something recently that the fast food industry was lobbying to let them except food stamps, did this happen?

Oh, well it has been years since I ate at one of those places and it will be years if ever I do eat at them again.
        Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.sigpic

Comment

" Individuals and families that used to go out for breakfast or their weekly restaurant meal are no longer going to Denny’s, Chili’s or Applebee’s . It seems that eating at Mickey D’s now constitutes a “night out.” "
          So McDonald's higher revenues are at the expense of major chain sit-down restaurants. It's also possible that part of the increase in revenues could be from price increases? Prices for everything is going up.
          sigpic

Comment

This is precisely what I was thinking, and if you take into account the rate of inflation ('officially' at 5% over here but in reality far higher!) then a 7.4% increase isn't really that spectacular.

One theory I have is that a lot of folks these days either don't have the skills or the patience to cook their own meals and so eating out is the quickest fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Godwinson View Post
              One theory I have is that a lot of folks these days either don't have the skills or the patience to cook their own meals and so eating out is the quickest fix.
              if men were paid properly so that women did not have to work outside the home, there would be less demand for this toxic processed food

Comment

I have just returned from town and I went the store. You can buy a frozen pizza for $1.29 that would feed two people. If you wanted junk food why not just do that instead of eating a McDonald's fat burger. I don't know how much a burger from there is, but I can bet it is more than a $1.29.
                Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.sigpic

Comment

I eat fast food once in a while simply because I travel a lot and sometimes a fast food place is the only place open along the road, though I avoid McD's when I can. It's hard to imagine that someone can feel like they're 'going out' while eating at one of those places. Also, I think fast food is kind of expensive considering the garbage that you're getting. For a dollar or two more you can get a much better burger at a diner, with fries and everything.

Comment

McDonald's has and had special offers and bundles in recent months. Such as 1+1 "Buy 1 Angus DeLuxe and get another for free" (on coupon) or "Buy 1 Happy Meal and get another for free." The latter makes sense if you have more than 1 kid.

I believe the 7% sales plus are at the expanse of competitors.

Originally posted by Unity Mitford View Post
                    if men were paid properly so that women did not have to work outside the home, there would be less demand for this toxic processed food
                    Well said.

Comment

Depending on where you live, Mcdonalds can be cheaper than going to the store. In my state everything tends to be more expensive.
                      Proud to be Germanic.

Even though my ancestry is English, Germany is my favorite country.

Comment

Fast food shouldn't even be considered food. It's garbage, plain and simple.

Actually, eating out costs much more than preparing your own meals. While groceries may cost "more" up front, they tend to last longer and deliver bigger portions than our fast food nemeses. Let's also not forget the health benefits of home cooked meals over processed crap.

However, this is only the result of our time-consumed and over-worked lives. There is never enough hours in the day for most of us and a faltering economy only compounds this problem.
                        "Life; it kills 100% of those who experience it."

Comment

I've the view it's more than just slow economy. It's the commodity of the generations. Many peoples can't cook or don't cook because they're living their lives on the run. Many peoples just order something to eat at work or grab a coffee quickly in the morning. McDonalds is popular because it's affordable but it has other things like the toys in the meals for children, the birthday parties and entertainments, playgrounds, the drive in, opening long hours. McDonalds is catering to this kind of mentality and we've to change that first before waiting for it to go bankrupt. Because there is a long list of other companies, Burger King, KFC, Starbucks...
                          sigpic

Comment

That article was lol coz f.E. in my location the McDonalds foods are not so cheap and many workplace have got kitchen with microwave oven, thus many people use to bring from home cooked food. Other people use to eat sandwiches. Moreover these junkfoods haven't got enough nutrition and the people will be hungry soon after these "meals". Or others use to eat at dönermeisters or chink restaurants (these are junks too but stodgy).

These "restaurants" rather just fashionable place for mid-class consumidiots coz these too expensive for the low-class people.

Unfortunately I use to eat these places coz I cannot bring food with me at weekdays but I use to cook at weekend.
                            sigpic
                            "Remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus,"or that virtue "was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice."
                            /King Baldwin IV in the Kingdom of Heaven/

Comment

Many of these fast food garbage lots accept food stamps:
                              http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...ood-stamp-act/

In the colder areas they have playgrounds not to mention wifi.

Yes, it is easy and cheaper to make food from scratch. It seems to be a lost art. That and so many couples work full-time.

DianaMT
                              http://montanamadetradingpost.angelf.../FiberJourney/

Comment

Working...
                              X