Skadi File Archive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skadi File Archive

I'm very pleased to announce that we opened our File Archive today. It replaced the former Skadi Library.

The difference is
    • that it is designed not only for documents and books, but also for multimedia (audio, video, &c.), software, and other data.
    • that it is at the same time a link manager, i. e. it accepts links to documents, books, multimedia, software, websites, and other data (including ED2K-EDonkey/Emule; please avoid Bittorrent, as BT seeds die quickly.)
    • that it is in general open to the public (albeit there is still a very large section that is reserved for Funding Members only).
    The idea is to collect and store all information of relevance to Skadi Members and Germanics in the Skadi File Archive in future, instead of having it posted all over the board.

This way the information can be easily found, either by browsing the categories or by searching the File Archive.

Everybody can post links in and upload files to the File Archive.

If you intend to share any information with us, please make sure that
    • you post into the right category. You will save the librarians a lot of work if you do this.
    • that the information is also of relevance to others and not only to yourself.
    If you intend to share .pdf, .doc, .lit, .rtf or other document formats, please do not use an archive software (.zip, .rar, &c.) to reduce their size. If they are not compressed, they can be spidered by search engines, and you want them to be spidered, so that your neighbor can find them, too.

If you post a link, please make sure
    • that the link can be expected to be of a permanent nature. Examples of such links are Youtube, Google Video, scientific journals and libraries, well-established websites that already exist for a long time. Sites on free webhosts or small, obscure personal sites are, on the other hand, not likely to be of a permanent nature. The same applies to links to free one-click hosters (RapidShare, Megaupload, &c.), so please avoid those. Use E2DK links instead. The last thing we want to do is to collect links of which 90% won't work any longer in a year's time.
    • that the link contains some information of relevance to Skadi members or Germanics.

You can access the File Archive right on the Forum home:

Click image for larger version

Name:	skadi.file.archive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1358017

And you can do a search for the latest files under "New Posts":

Name:	new.files.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1358018

So please, let's try to make this work. Please post your multimedia, books, links, and information in the File Archive instead of posting them all over the board. That way we will succeed to create a great archive that will be of good use to all of us -- as well as to the posterity that hasn't yet joined Skadi Forum.

I want to express my particular gratefulness to our Librarians -- Landerun, Ahnenerbe and Papa Hausser -- who have invested weeks of hard work transferring the old Library into the File Archive and uploading lots of new information, as well as to our helpers -- Aeternitas and Fjörgyn -- who have invested many days of technical work, configuring the software and fixing the permissions.

We are still not done, but with your help it can only get better by the day.

Kind regards,
    Thorburn
    This is a placeholder for a signature.

Re: Skadi File Archive

added 2 MP3 recordings of Goebbels and many of Hitler here

http://forums.skadi.net/local_links.php?catid=96

.. am running into max-file-size problems with other recordings, but will see if they can be converted to a type with a larger max-file-size limit than MP3.

Comment

Re: Skadi File Archive

That sounds good, but where is archive/library now? I can't find any link in the main menu of the forum. Where, according to the instructional picture in this thread, the library link should be, I only see the link to the Gallery

Comment

AW: Skadi File Archive

The File-Archive was removed. There were many dead references them were irreparable and therefore looked blind. Whether and in which form the Archive comes again, I cannot say.

However, the files have not got lost

Comment

Sv: Skadi File Archive

Where do you find the files, I liked a lot of them.

Comment

File Archive/Library

As suggested, we re-added the File Archive. It will act as a mini-library and a place to share other things like links to useful sites, etc. Some will remember we had it on Skadi for a while. It is accessible to all registered members.

Rules for posting in the file archive can be found here. (all Skadi Rules still apply). As a general rule, the format for posting a book should be the following, in this order:
            Surname, First Name - Full Title (Year)

Make sure you are not infringing copyright. Works must be public domain, otherwise permission from the author is needed. You can either link to an e-book from a site/library on the Internet or you can upload e-books from your computer.

The same rule applies to software. Don't upload or link to any software which doesn't allow free sharing and especially don't upload files with cracks or anything illegal as it will be removed. You are of course free to upload software you have designed yourself.

Linking to sites is allowed as long as they are of minimal relevance to Germanics and their heritage. Links to sites that generally endorse (illegal) violence and obscenities will be removed.

To add a link or upload a file, you must go to to category you wish to place it under (e.g Books > Germanic History). There will be a small menu under the navbar, there you must click "add link".

Name:	filearchive.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1339987

Once a new page has loaded, you will have to fill in the name or the entry (book, link, or software name), a description and next you will either fill in the URL you found it at (the URL field) or upload it from your computer (the File upload field). Once you are done, click submit in order to submit your contribution.

Comment

I like both the addition of the photo gallery and the File Archive/Library. It's like having an Althing Repository of Knowledge.

Hopefully it doesn't get filled up with useless things though.

Comment

At some point I will probably want to read some of the things in the File Archive but every time I try to open them it gives me this "you do not have sufficient download allowances" message. What's the deal?

Comment

The original settings limited download/upload allowances for members. I fixed this and set it to unlimited, so you should be able to view now.

Comment

I added some Entries to the Archive. In my Opinion, more Users should contribute. Libraries are precious Resources. Thank you for adding such a Thing to the Forum.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
                      I added some Entries to the Archive. In my Opinion, more Users should contribute. Libraries are precious Resources. Thank you for adding such a Thing to the Forum.
                      Your entries look very interesting.

The entries into the politics section however...I'm not so sure about. All seem to be about Russian conspiracy theories...

Comment

Originally posted by Soten
                        The entries into the politics section however...I'm not so sure about. All seem to be about Russian conspiracy theories...
                        Haha these conspiracy theories are silly. Maybe there should be a rule that only books with a Germanic theme should be posted. This is a GERMANIC forum.

Comment

Skadi Electronic Archive

What ever happened to the idea of having an electronic library archive like the one on The Althing? Did it just get forgotten or were there problems with it that made it undesirable?

I like the idea. People can add relevant e-books and pdf's in the archive. Ranging from all the sorts of topics we discuss here on Skadi. I thought about it after having looked back at some of Agrippa's posts where he had links to pdf essays about anthropological subjects that were very interesting.

The Skadi Archives!

Comment

Okey Dokey, I see the File Archive is back up, and better than ever it appears. On top of e-books and pdf's there are also videos and audio and a bunch of other things.

One problem is that more than a few of the links are dead now. We need to go through and clear out the bad links.

Two, Would it be possible to move the File Archive bar on the main screen to the bottom somewhere instead of between the photo gallery and the New Threads bar. It looks a little thick there. If we can't then I am sure we can get used to it.

Three, I see that there is a "don't link anything unless it is going to be permanent" rule. Good. But how permanent can things like Youtube videos really be?

Overall, good to see it again and thanks to the mysterious moderator who did the work to get it up and running again, whoever it was.

Comment

There were some incompatibility problems when we upgraded, but on the vBulletin version we are now everything seems to be in order, so we have re-enabled the old Skadi File Archive. You can access it via the Services Menu > File Archive. We have a small menu for the latest additions on the index as well as under the New Posts menu.

However, please note that there could be broken links. We have removed many dead references but should you still encounter any, you can report them. Nobody likes broken links, so please try to post links of a permanent nature from known websites which are expected to be up for a long time.

Because it is a modification, it was not possible to preserve the entries from the Althing.

Comment

Working...
                              X