No announcement yet.

Skadi Forum Upgrade : Please Read This!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We moved the database to a dedicated server where there is not much going on at all besides our MySQL database. So the Forum is fast again. We will move the whole site (including the Web server and PHP part) to a different machine within another week's time.

We are almost done with re-indexing the database (for searches) and with running the database update and maintenance scripts. Everything should then be fully functional again.

From then on, we will be able to focus on re-implementing our design, improving the looks, restoring the POSTBIT if possible, re-configuring the FORUMHOME, and on installing a few needed additions.

So ... what does everybody think about the upgrade? What do you like? What could still be improved? Does anyone else think that we should make the font in posts a bit larger or is it just me being past 25 years of age? (I know that there is Ctrl+"+", and we don't know yet if it can be controlled, it's just a thought.)
    Resist, Baorn and 3 others like this.
    This is a placeholder for a signature.

Comment

• Thorburn
      Thorburn commented
      Editing a comment
      Avatars recreated. Search index rebuilt. All maintenance tasks finished.

• Aeternitas
      Aeternitas commented
      Editing a comment
      Changed the posting font to Verdana 12px, we could also make it 13 though then it might be too big compared to the postbit. 12 looks ok to me though.

• Thorburn
      Thorburn commented
      Editing a comment
      @Aeternitas: Ummm... for some reason the spacing between the letters appears a bit wide. Can this be altered? It might be somewhere in the CSS... Or maybe we should try a different font (like Arial or Tahoma)? If one gets accustomed to it, the vBulletin 5 default actually doesn't look that bad. On the contrary. And hitting once Ctrl+'+' saves all problems for those who want the fonts a bit larger. Unfortunately, 90+% of the Internet users don't know about this resizing option, I guess... it's a tough call.

In case you are wondering what happened to reputation, it is now linked to the "Like" feature. Liking one's post adds to their reputation count. Unfortunately, you cannot also write them a reputation message. Old reputation comments have also been lost due to this change. You can, however leave a short comment by clicking the "Comment" link at the bottom of the post (near "Edit", "Quote", etc..). N.B. that the comment will be public though, so make sure to leave any mushy details for PM or chat... Still a funky feature though, especially if you have something short to say a la "I agree" or "Great post". Reputation count has been preserved, luckily.

Avatars have been purposely downsized by vbulletin, so it's not possible to change their size by default... yeah, that sucks. We will have to either look for a mod that does this or edit the code... and yes, the font is too small, my myopic eyes agree.

Social groups, you can now basically create and moderate your own group. You can make it public or private, joinable or invite-only... neat solution for people who want their own private sections. Also blogging, if anyone is interested.

I'm still working on the Skadi Asgård style but I've enabled it as is so that we get at least a bit of a custom look.
    Resist, Leliana and 4 others like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeternitas View Post
      In case you are wondering what happened to reputation, it is now linked to the "Like" feature. Liking one's post adds to their reputation count. Unfortunately, you cannot also write them a reputation message. Old reputation comments have also been lost due to this change. You can, however leave a short comment by clicking the "Comment" link at the bottom of the post (near "Edit", "Quote", etc..). N.B. that the comment will be public though, so make sure to leave any mushy details for PM or chat... Still a funky feature though, especially if you have something short to say a la "I agree" or "Great post". Reputation count has been preserved, luckily.

Avatars have been purposely downsized by vbulletin, so it's not possible to change their size by default... yeah, that sucks. We will have to either look for a mod that does this or edit the code... and yes, the font is too small, my myopic eyes agree.

Social groups, you can now basically create and moderate your own group. You can make it public or private, joinable or invite-only... neat solution for people who want their own private sections. Also blogging, if anyone is interested.

I'm still working on the Skadi Asgård style but I've enabled it as is so that we get at least a bit of a custom look.
      um I don't see a comment link at the bottom near the "edit" or "quote" option?

Also I think the larger font would be better, I'm not so young anymore either hehe
      Thorburn likes this.
      Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.sigpic

Comment

• Aeternitas
        Aeternitas commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, my bad, commenting permissions weren't set properly by default. Check again now, it should work.

Originally posted by SpearBrave View Post

um I don't see a comment link at the bottom near the "edit" or "quote" option?

Also I think the larger font would be better, I'm not so young anymore either hehe
      Yes font could be slightly bigger.
      Buttons for graphics, videos, formatting will be appreciated.
      Thorburn likes this.

Comment

• Thorburn
        Thorburn commented
        Editing a comment
        They do exist. You have to click on the capital 'A' on the top left when you reply or make a post.

• Theunissen
        Theunissen commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, got that.

Is there a captcha in new account creation? It might help to stop all of these spam bot accounts being made.
      Thorburn likes this.

Comment

• Thorburn
        Thorburn commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip. Yes, there is, and it is enabled and functional for registrations. I just checked to make sure.

What is wrong with the search function? If I search for example for the title of a thread, I can't find it anymore.

Comment

• Thorburn
        Thorburn commented
        Editing a comment
        Search isn't indexed, yet.

Hmm, it does seem that the search function yields a little bit less results than the old Skadi if searching for topic titles indeed. Searching for keywords only gives a little bit more results.

Another error I noticed is sometimes when I click on the banner or on new postings I get this message: "Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message."

Otherwise I'm getting used to the new format and thank you to Aeternitas, Thorburn and all the staff members who invested in the upgrade.
      Baorn likes this.
      sigpic

Comment

• Thorburn
        Thorburn commented
        Editing a comment
        Search isn't indexed yet, I would be surprised if someone found anything at all.

Regarding the search function, the search is still not fully indexed so you shouldn't find a whole lot, that's normal... It will probably be a few more days to a week until everything is indexed. Meanwhile you should find much more if you search via Google: search term +site:skadi.net. Once we are on the VPS we could install Sphinx - creates much better indices than the standard mySQL database indices, much faster when indexing, faster and lighter queries, better results; search on turbo in a nutshell.

Some other updates:

- re-added user ranks and funding member titles.

- we've increased avatar size in the postbit from 64 x 64 px to 120 x 120 px, however since avatars are set to be square-ish by default, we've also had to change the maximum allowed size from 200 x 250 px to 200 x 200 px. Avatars and profile pictures are now the same thing, so what you choose for your profile will also be displayed as your avatar.

- some avatars/signature pictures might have to be re-uploaded, unfortunately.

- we've added a modification to display users who visited in the last 24 hours.

- we've added a modification to display users who liked each post, somewhat reminiscent of the thanks system.

- forum URLs and paths fixed, the Lifestyle section which was previously unreachable should now work.

- will soon be adding a Facebook login and registration feature.

We're still investigating the invalid URL issue... might be a PHP-related issue according to what I've read so far. We tried changing to version 7.2 and they seemed to be gone, however vBulletin doesn’t digest 7.2 perfectly. I'll do some more searching and also ask vBulletin support if they have any ideas. In the meantime the only solution is refreshing until it works...

Any other issues/bugs you can report in this thread or send us a message. We're trying to work on everything as fast as we can so please bear with us.

Once we're done with fixing the bugs, I will gradually try to re-add other Skadi styles such as Asgard Dark and Midgard. Takes a lot of clicks compared to the older version, each module and column has to be set up individually... thanks a lot vBulletin.
      Wulfaz, Resist and 5 others like this.

Comment

• Thorburn
        Thorburn commented
        Editing a comment
        The "Lifestyle" issue is fixed.

Wow, thanks for the update! xD Great efforts. However, I still find it very confusing and don't find the stuff. It will take a few hours to understand the new system.
      ~Loyal to my hate~
      sigpic

Comment

• Thorburn
        Thorburn commented
        Editing a comment
        It takes a bit of an adaption, but it's actually funky.

Hmm, I've not found the report post function anymore. Is this the flag symbol? What happens when I flag a post? Does it get sent to the whole staff team or administration for review? I've tried to send a flag post to test the new system, can the staff check if it's been received?
      sigpic

Comment

• Resist
        Resist commented
        Editing a comment
        I can see it as well, so I suppose it goes to all moderators or staff members?

• Thorburn
        Thorburn commented
        Editing a comment
        To all moderators of the forum or category where the flagged post is located, yes.

• Baorn
        Baorn commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm annoyed with the flagging system. It's buggy.

It's nice to see that the upgrade finally worked, despite the obstacles faced. The new format does take a while getting used to, however as far as I have understood, the upgrade was a necessary step for both security/compatibility reasons, as well as to accommodate the social media and smartphone/tablet generation. While I myself am not much into this facebookish style - being from a different generation - I also understand the importance of being up to date with the software and attracting a younger audience. Now with the Asgard style in place, the site looks more like "home" and we, Germanics are an adaptable people so we will likely find our way through the new software and maybe even enjoy some of the options we didn't have thusfar. For example, as a moderator, I've found the spam management option to be quite handy and simplified, one can remove a post and ban the user with just a few clicks, it is no longer necessary to separately open the moderator's control panel.

Comment

• Thorburn
        Thorburn commented
        Editing a comment
        It's actually much better once one gets accustomed to it.

About 80% of the posts are now indexed, so you should be able to find most things again.

Once the indexing is done (in about 18-24 hours), we will move the forum to its final destination. This will cause some brief downtime, while the database is exported, moved, re-imported and all the indices are recreated (don't worry, recreating them goes much faster than creating them initially). A few hours tops. In addition, the new DNS info will need to propagate. This is usually fast, but caching might prevent you from getting the most recent information for up to 48 hours.

Rebooting helps. But the best and fastest way is to clear your browser's DNS cache.

Clearing the DNS Cache on Browsers
      This article provides instructions on how to clear the DNS Cache on computers and web browsers.
      This is a placeholder for a signature.

Comment

This is the second time that I have edited my post, only for it to be flagged for spam. I swear I didn't click on anything like that.
        https://forums.skadi.net/filedata/fetch?type=thumb&filedataid=113340

Comment

Whenever you click on a thread you default to first page, unless you're doing it from "Today's posts" which works as it should. It's a bit annoying... more so for the lack of "go to first page" and "go to last page" buttons.
          in die Kirche gehen wir nicht
          der Papst das ist ein Arschgesicht
          die Pfaffen wollen wir kastrieren
          die Eier an die Kirchtür schmieren

Comment

• SpearBrave
            SpearBrave commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the same problem, you have to scroll down to click the last page

I'm now wondering if people will stoop so low as to flag another person's post for spam in reprisal for disagreements. That's pure cowardice.
          https://forums.skadi.net/filedata/fetch?type=thumb&filedataid=113340

Comment

Working...
          X