Classify this gentleman if you can

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classify this gentleman if you can

Here is a test for all you physical anthropology officionados and wannabees. Lets see what a simple photograph can tell you with no other information. Is he Greek, Spanish, French, Italian, Arab...? Is he dolicocephalic (to use Coon's vernacular), Dinaric (whatever that means). Give me your best shot.
    sigpicWagner rules!

You can't tell if he's dolicocephalic or not because it is not a profile pic. And he's smiling, so his features are distorted. He doesn't look Dinaric or like any Spaniards I've seen. He looks Armenoid/Med.

I'm not going to guess ethnicity because he's probably "100% [insert unlikely European country name here]".

Comment

More pictures

These are more pictures of the same gentleman. Yes he does look quite different in both pictures but I thought it might help you venture a guess.

Originally posted by ladygoeth33
      You can't tell if he's dolicocephalic or not because it is not a profile pic. And he's smiling, so his features are distorted. He doesn't look Dinaric or like any Spaniards I've seen. He looks Armenoid/Med.

I'm not going to guess ethnicity because he's probably "100% [insert unlikely European country name here]".
      sigpicWagner rules!

Comment

Yeah, he's brachycephalic and some might look at that with his sloping forehead and automatically classify him as "Dinaric." I think he's a Mediterranean who has been "Dinaricized" via Armenoid, but I don't think he looks like a European Dinaric type that you'd see in Southeast Hungary for example.

I like the shape of his head. He's kind of cute.

Comment

I'm new to this parlance. What exactly does "a Mediterranean who has been "Dinaricized" via Armenoid, but I don't think he looks like a European Dinaric type that you'd see in Southeast Hungary for example." mean? Are "Dinarics" Caucasian or European? Where would you say he is from if you ran into him in the street?

Yeah, he's brachycephalic and some might look at that with his sloping forehead and automatically classify him as "Dinaric." I think he's a Mediterranean who has been "Dinaricized" via Armenoid, but I don't think he looks like a European Dinaric type that you'd see in Southeast Hungary for example.

I like the shape of his head. He's kind of cute.
          sigpicWagner rules!

Comment

Dinarics are Caucasian and European.

I've heard 2 theories on Dinarics:
            • They are a blend of Med - Alpine - Nordic
            • They are Neolithic - Armenoid

Armenoids are Alpinized Irano-Afghans.

Here are my guesses:

If he's European he's likely from somewhere in Southeast Europe where people of Iranic descent settled. If he's Central European, he could be an Avar descendant. If he's Hungarian he could be a Jász. But he could be from any Mediterranean country. He could be Palestinian.

Those are my best theories. So, what is he, a pure blooded Scot?

Comment

I've heard thatDinarics are a stabilized blend of 2/3 Med and 1/3 Alpine... of course, we're speaking about tall Meds, because Dinarics are very tall on average.

Comment

If he's Hungarian he could be a Jász.
                Interesting link. I have been to the Jász region in Hungary, still centred around Jászbereny. I don't think they are dark at all... Most people I have seen there, have been fairish skinned (although maybe with an olive tinge), quite brachycephalic and light eyed. Not even much of a deviation from the regular ethnic Magyars... The Jász have been fully assimilated (racially) into the host Magyar population, although many of them are still proud bearers of their unique culture. I think they are somewhat Turanicized, according to my observation - perhaps more so than the average Magyar.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe1
                  Here is a test for all you physical anthropology officionados and wannabees. Lets see what a simple photograph can tell you with no other information. Is he Greek, Spanish, French, Italian, Arab...? Is he dolicocephalic (to use Coon's vernacular), Dinaric (whatever that means). Give me your best shot.
                  Out of that list, my first guess is French, second guess Spanish, third guess Italian.

Comment

Originally posted by Dienekes_Pontikos
                    Out of that list, my first guess is French, second guess Spanish, third guess Italian.
                    He looks too dark for an average Frenchman to me... but if from France, he would be from the extreme south - Marseilles area, a more heterogenous Mediterranean complex.

Comment

Yup, this guy certainly trends in the Dinaric/Med direction. I don't think many would confuse this fellow with say...an Alpine, Baltid, Nord, NW Brunn or a host of many other types.

Interestingly enough, he does show a certain ruggedness visible in the hefty brow, sunken eyes and considerable nasion depression which are all clearly visible in the excellent profile photo.

The "Dinaricness" is evident in the long face, flattened occiput and the apparent brunette pigmentation of hair, eyes and skin tone.

My first impression is that he likely hails from somewhere SE of Europe 'proper' but as LG put it so well, he'll probably be a Scot or maybe even a Dane!

I'm teasing of course. All in good fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Allenson
                        The "Dinaricness" is evident in the long face, flattened occiput and the apparent brunette pigmentation of hair, eyes and skin tone.
                        I second that.

Comment

He's some sort of Med+Alpine mixture... it resulted in his dinaric-ness......but I'm interested in what exact Mediterranean types did take part here. I think there have been Atlanto-Med, Paleo-Atlantid and even some sort of Greek mediterranean ( east ) plus Alpine on top of all that.

I guess he is from Marseilles, because only there could all these types have met.

Comment

I'd also add that I'm unsure of his pigmentation, since the quality of colors on the photo are sort of bad.

Comment

Originally posted by AWAR
                              I'd also add that I'm unsure of his pigmentation, since the quality of colors on the photo are sort of bad.
                              the first pic seems good.

Comment

Working...
                              X