PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating July 4th

Mrs. Lyfing
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hello :),

Just wondering how you will celebrate July 4th this year?

I always loved the 4th of July, fireworks, cook outs, family and fun! Good times!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n62/smilinjack664/tulsafireworks.jpg

Boche
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008, 05:09 PM
I moved your Thread into the United States Forum - Arts & Culture

For the Topic:

I don't celebrate it because i'm not American.

But for those who maybe don't know what is on that Day:

In the United States, Independence Day (commonly known as the Fourth of July) is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain.

Independence Day is commonly associated with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, picnics, baseball games, and various other public and private events celebrating the history, government, and traditions of the United States, but is often also viewed as simply a summer festival, apart from its patriotic overtones.

Read the whole Article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(United_States)

Gru▀,
Boche

Lyfing
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008, 02:59 AM
I will get drunk and blow up things..

Later,
-Lyfing

Maelstrom
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008, 04:27 AM
Is there a sizable portion of American people who do not support or celebrate the 4th of July? :p

Gorm the Old
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Some blacks do not celebrate Independence Day. Several years ago, I was firing a carbide cannon in celebration of Independence Day and a black family complained to the police because of the noise. I was astonished because this holiday has been celebrated with loud noises for about 200 years.

Then it occurred to me, that the blacks have no reason to celebrate the United States' independence from England. Had the 13 colonies remained colonies of England, slavery might have been outlawed here earlier than it was.

Slavery was outlawed in England on June 22, 1772. Why did this not apply to the colonies also ? Slavery was still legal in the American colonies at the time of the War for Independence. However, had the American colonies remained colonies, the Great Emancipation Act of 1833 would have applied to them also.

So, independence did not benefit the slaves. This may be the reason why some blacks do not celebrate Independence Day.

Gorm the Old
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I intend to set off fireworks in my back yard. Unfortunately, Roman candles, rockets, and firecrackers are illegal in Connecticut. Some of the fountains, however, emit particles which explode VERY noisily. I can't use my carbide cannon this year because the calcium carbide has gotten wet and I can't obtain more before Friday.

arthor
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
cyfarchion

Unfortunately in today's society in this country there seems to be a growing, and alarming, tendency to get aboard other people's "days". The biggest one being St Patrick's day when everyboddy seems to find a long lost link to Ireland. Then there was the vomit inducing Mandella birthday bash this last weekend. There used to be scarcely a mention of July 4th now I think it is more well known. As has already been posted, I can understand why the blacks don't get excited (wonder how Obama will handle it then) and I am sure the Indians will be wondering who got independence from who. I personally don't even recognise US independence and regard George Washington as a terrorist who really belongs in Guantanamo Bay if we want to be fair about it. The US is really only still a colony but I wish you every enjoyment with your fireworks
I will celebrate Great Britain's independence from the Brussels Euro machine when it happens but we will probably have to fire real cannons at Eurocrats before then.

wasshael

MockTurtle
Thursday, July 3rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Reflect on the troubling ills that have befallen us as of late...

CrystalRose
Thursday, July 3rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
I hope to celebrate with the san francisco giants, bbq, drinks, family and friends! Maybe some fireworks if we can get ahold of the California fires!

SwordOfTheVistula
Thursday, July 3rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Right now, it looks like I'll go out for drinks with my boss after work on the 3rd, attend an all day BBQ/Party with my gaming friends on the 4th, and attend a party with my nationalist friends on the 5th.

Leof
Thursday, July 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Celebrate the 4th of July by dressing in flanel and long johns, having a coffee and your favorite opiates and listen to the Soundgarden song, "4th of July". At least that's how we did it back in Seattle. Also going to the indian reservation for explosives was fun.

CrystalRose
Wednesday, July 16th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Celebrate the 4th of July by dressing in flanel and long johns, having a coffee and your favorite opiates and listen to the Soundgarden song, "4th of July". At least that's how we did it back in Seattle. Also going to the indian reservation for explosives was fun.

I missed that about Seattle! In California everyone goes to Chinatown for their explosives. :o