PDA

View Full Version : Tom Petty on Hip Hop and culture

Ægir
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Here are some of Tom Petty’s thoughts on Hip Hop and contemporary culture.

I'm frustrated by what I hear. Maybe it's not meant for me. Personally, I'm way too bright for a lot of the hip-hop lyrics to affect. I'm much too smart to think that jewelry or how cool I am is really going to change much about my personality. If you're dumb enough that it entertains you, have a great time. But I am seeking more than that.

You don't hear any more of, 'Hey, we did something creative and we turned a profit, how about that?' Everywhere we look, we want to make the most money possible. This is a dangerous, corrupt notion. That's where you see the advent of programming on the radio, and radio research, all these silly things. That has made pop music what it is today. Everything — morals, truth — is all going out the window in favor of profit.

I don't think it's a good attitude in your life to feel that you have to be rich to have self-esteem. You know, I saw a billboard in New York I wish I had photographed. It was for the TNN network. It said three words against a patriotic background of red, white and blue — BIGGER, YOUNGER, RICHER. Now, I find that fascinating: 'Bigger, younger, richer.' This whole idea of being wealthy has gone too far. I never ride in a limousine, you know. I feel gross if I get in a limousine. One good thing about the Sixties was it sort of was the opposite back then. You looked silly trying to appear rich.

I don't believe in censorship, but I do believe that an artist has to take some moral responsibility for what he or she is putting out there. And I think a lot of these young kids are going to have to learn the hard way before they realize that you can actually do some damage if you're being careless or frivolous in what you're saying.

I think television's become a downright dangerous thing. It has no moral barometer whatsoever. If you want to talk about something that is all about money, just watch the television. It's damn dangerous. TV does not care about you or what happens to you. It's downright bad for your health now, and that's not a far-out concept. I think watching the TV news is bad for you. It is bad for your physical health and your mental health. The music business looks like, you know, innocent schoolboys compared to the TV business. They care about nothing but profit.

Allenson
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Petty is pretty cool, I have to say. I don't know his views on other matters but I have to agree with what he says here.

Is this from an article/interview somewhere?

Fafner
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks Ægir, really nice article.

I really agree with Tom Petty. Personally I don't hate hip-hop because it's from black people, but for what it is and what it isn't anymore. Even if in it's beginings it was a kind of "protest" music, now is just a bunch of stupid marketers that make the same frustrating noise and give no creativity or morality to their lyrics. Just a commercial noise :mad:

Call me a dreamer or a stupid but I think that we should go back, at least a little, to a more soulfilling music and not to a pocketfilling noise. I think hip-hop took it so far (even if other genders done the same too, but i don't wan't to go off topic).

Again, thanks for the article Ægir (should it be written like this?:o)

Ægir
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah, Petty is pretty cool, I have to say. I don't know his views on other matters but I have to agree with what he says here.
I know…I have never really been a Tom Petty fan and I doubt that his politics and mine would mesh but at least on this issue we can agree.

It is from an interview and I am going to try to find a good citation for you. My wife cut it out of a magazine…but it was cut out and I do not have citations for you at this time. When she gets back in town I will ask her exactly where it came from so you can all look it up for yourselves. :)

Ægir
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Well I talked to my wife…it is from the Rollingstone. I found a copy of it online at the following link. The article is longer than the except that I posted…and I must say after reading the entire article I like Tom Petty even more now. He talks about the sexualizing of young girls and how sick it is, overpriced concerts, corrupt record labels and much much more…
Enjoy…

http://www.rollingstone.com:80/news/story/5933643/tom_petty_is_pissed/

Allenson
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Well I talked to my wife…it is from the Rollingstone. I found a copy of it online at the following link. The article is longer than the except that I posted…and I must say after reading the entire article I like Tom Petty even more now. He talks about the sexualizing of young girls and how sick it is, overpriced concerts, corrupt record labels and much much more…
Enjoy…

http://www.rollingstone.com:80/news/story/5933643/tom_petty_is_pissed/

Thanks kindly!