PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Here Use Straight Razor?

Hardwig
Thursday, March 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I have a hard time shaving with safety razors (mach 3),it simply doesn't remove the hair completely,leaving that disgusting "five o'clock shadow".I want to buy a straight razor.Any suggestion?

Liberator Germaniae
Thursday, March 29th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Straight razors may cause unnecessary bleeding. Rather experiment with shaving foams or gels (Gillette, Nivea etc.) until you find a suitable one for your skin type. I personally found that a diet with MSG (monosodium glutamate = may lead to cancer!) also causes kind-of very deep pores, which prevents razors from reaching down to the very bottom of the skin's surface. This also causes the 'five o'clock shadow'. Always ensure to shave your beard at least half an hour after you get up in the morning. You should also have something to drink to 'straighten' the skin, since it looses moisture during a night's sleep.

You may find it useful to view this thread: Grooming for men (http://forums.skadi.net/grooming_men-t90642.html)

Ămeric
Thursday, March 29th, 2007, 10:41 PM
You could grow a beard :D. I agree, the mach 3 does not do a good job of removing whiskers. They're also expensive, but I can't use the cheaper blades, they leave alot of nicks. But a least with a safety blade all I get is nicks, not a severed artery. If you go ahead and get a straight razor let me know how it works out. If I don't hear from you, I'll assume the worse.

Edit for LG: I don't know if it is possible for an American to have a diet that does not include MSGs, it is in just about everything we eat, though it is unnecessary. I heard it is used to make us addicted to food.

Liberator Germaniae
Thursday, March 29th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I don't know if it is possible for an American to have a diet that does not include MSGs, it is in just about everything we eat, though it is unnecessary. I heard it is used to make us addicted to food.

The annual world production of MSG amounts to some 1,5 million tons of MSG. While it has always been used in traditional Chinese cuisine, it has now become a standard ingredient of fast foods as well as ready-to-eat meals to make up for the bad taste. When used in restaurants it has the additional effect that it leads to an above-average thirst, which increases the consumption of drinks!

@Hardwig: Perhaps you should check if you are allergic against MSG and other foodstuffs. Also avoid tanning as it leads to a thicker skin.

Hardwig
Friday, March 30th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Straight razors may cause unnecessary bleeding. Rather experiment with shaving foams or gels (Gillette, Nivea etc.) until you find a suitable one for your skin type. I personally found that a diet with MSG (monosodium glutamate = may lead to cancer!) also causes kind-of very deep pores, which prevents razors from reaching down to the very bottom of the skin's surface. This also causes the 'five o'clock shadow'. Always ensure to shave your beard at least half an hour after you get up in the morning. You should also have something to drink to 'straighten' the skin, since it looses moisture during a night's sleep.

You may find it useful to view this thread: Grooming for men (http://forums.skadi.net/grooming_men-t90642.html)Thanks for the tips :thumbup.Do you have the same problem? I use a Gillette foam and before I used Noxzema,but I think the difference is negligible.I read that the only way to have a perfect shave is using a straight razor,so you can regulate the angle and shave with it almost flat against the skin.I heard that hot water opens up the pores,making the hair easier to cut,but I have never tested.

You could grow a beard :D. I agree, the mach 3 does not do a good job of removing whiskers. They're also expensive, but I can't use the cheaper blades, they leave alot of nicks. But a least with a safety blade all I get is nicks, not a severed artery. If you go ahead and get a straight razor let me know how it works out. If I don't hear from you, I'll assume the worse.

Edit for LG: I don't know if it is possible for an American to have a diet that does not include MSGs, it is in just about everything we eat, though it is unnecessary. I heard it is used to make us addicted to food.Oh no,thanks :P.My beard is not that uniform,so I would look strange.The problem is that nobody make these razors in America anymore,so I guess I would have to import one from Germany.By the way, I don't think that ladies like men with so much facial hair ;).

ladybright
Friday, March 30th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I think there is something charming about a brush and razor shave for men. My husband is fine with regular razors and soap but I remember liking the ritual and smell of my ex-fiancÚe.Caswell Massey (http://www.caswellmassey.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=94) has several strait razors and the Vermont Country (http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=5413&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=161&iProductID=5413) store has an old fashioned razor and accessories.

OneEnglishNorman
Friday, March 30th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I use Gillette Mach 3. I shave against the grain. I can't get a close shave otherwise, because I have soft skin. If I cut myself then I know I've done a good job :P

You will always get a five o'clock shadow to an extent... beard growth does not stop at 9am and recommence at 5pm :)

Allenson
Friday, March 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM
God I hate shaving. Dragging sharp metal across my face is not my idea of fun.

I've never tried a straight razor but I have thought about it myself.

I don't shave very often--maybe once or twice a week and thus I usually have a bit of a feral look. ;)

Pro-Alpine
Friday, March 30th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I use a knife, modern razors are for fruitcakes.

Atlas
Friday, March 30th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I grow a goatee, and for the rest of my beard, I use the scissors.

I was forced to shave everyday during duty and it was a pain in the ass. Hot water on my face before, gel, Mach 3, after shave, I could use whatever I could, I was still bleeding and it was hurting and burning all the day.

So I now shave with razors on very special occasions.

Gil
Friday, March 30th, 2007, 07:50 PM
In the past I used both Mach 3 and Wilkinson Sword Quattro but not only did they nick my face they didn't give me a entire "shave", so I started doing a brush + razor and it's pretty good.
I think you can buy one at any decent large store, I bought mine on a barber shop itself.
If you do buy a razor, don't forget to also buy shaving gel/foam (buy a brush while you are at it, it allows you to spread the gel really well).
I shave first in the direction that the hair grows then counter wise, that way you don't get as much resistance and less chance of cutting yourself.
And for god's sake, don't try doing it like in a movie, take your time, you'll get faster and more proficient with the razor in time, don't rush it or you might end up with a serious cut.

Allenson
Friday, March 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I use a knife, modern razors are for fruitcakes.

You should tell the Welsh fella' just how tough you Alpines are. ;)

Pro-Alpine
Friday, March 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM
You should tell the Welsh fella' just how tough you Alpines are. ;)

He would not believe, he's still in complete denial of his Alpine ancestry.