PDA

View Full Version : Icelanders View Immigrants in a Positive Light

Blutwölfin
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Icelanders hold positive views of immigrants shows a recent Gallup poll done for the Icelandic Red Cross.

Morgunbladid reports that 76% of those surveyed believed that their standard of living had neither increased nor decreased with increased numbers of immigrants to Iceland. 19% said that their standard of living had increased somewhat to substantially while 5% said that they had decreased. 52% believed that immigrants had a good effect on the economy but 16% believed they had a bad effect. 57% of those surveyed said they were in favor of their child marrying a foreigner but 16% were against it.

The poll showed that recent international terrorist attacks have effected Icelander's view towards Muslims. Results from the survey show that one out of every five Icelanders do not wish to live next door to a Muslim. 1000 Muslims are living in Iceland according to the Icelandic Broadcasting Service. The leader of the Association for Muslims in Iceland, Salmann Tamimi, said that it was important for people to read the Koran because people often misunderstood it - he also encouraged everyone to get to know Islam and Muslims.

According to the survey, the higher the education level of the respondent the lower level of prejudice, nevertheless education does not factor in when it comes to prejudice against the mentally disabled. According to the survey one of every seven surveyed did not want to live in the vicinity of the mentally disabled.

The survey was done as part of an awareness campaign that the Red Cross is promoting under the slogan "Build a Better Society". The Red Cross hopes to promote discourse on how to make a good society better with with the "various changes ongoing in society including the increased number of immigrants in the country".

Results are based a survey of 1,350 Icelanders aged 16 - 75, conducted in July and August. The response rate was 61.6%.

Source (http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/?cat_id=16567&ew_0_a_id=150719)

Death and the Sun
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Are there actually many immigrants in Iceland? If there aren't, bang! The reason for the relatively positive attitudes of the Icelanders towards them is right there.

Another reason is of course the omnipresent multikulti indictrination.

Blutwölfin
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 10:25 AM
There has been a marked increase in immigration to Iceland during the past 10 years. In 1995 the total population of non-Icelandic residents was 1.8% while it was 3.5% in 2003 which is slightly lower than the percentage in the other Nordic countries. The largest non-Icelandic nationals come from Europe (70%), mostly from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. The second largest ethnic group is from countries in Asia (17%) and then from North America (6%).

Source (http://www.ncu.cancer.dk/pdf_files/NCU_Report_Iceland.pdf)

Lundi
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Aye most immigrants are Polish or Scandinavian, so obviously you won’t be able to spot them on the street that easily (nothing wrong with Scandi immigrants either :) ). About 0.25% of Iceland is non “white” and seeing how we are so new to immigration (it only having started on a large scale some 15 years ago) most people don’t see it in a bad light. However lately I’ve been finding out that young people my age are becoming very nationalistic and quite “racist”, I don’t know if that is just when they come here abroad or if they behave that way in Iceland also, but non the less pride in your own seems to be growing immensely along with anti Muslim feelings.

Most of these Gallup polls are rubbish since they never show the real situation, they are always very finely coated for the Multicultural world.

Death and the Sun
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 12:21 PM
However lately I’ve been finding out that young people my age are becoming very nationalistic and quite “racist”, I don’t know if that is just when they come here abroad or if they behave that way in Iceland also, but non the less pride in your own seems to be growing immensely along with anti Muslim feelings.

This is an inevitable result of the flood of immigrants, and one of my main reasoms to be hopeful about the future. Our youth, or at least the best among them, prefer to believe what they see with their own eyes, rather than believieng the summer of '69 generation.

Most of these Gallup polls are rubbish since they never show the real situation, they are always very finely coated for the Multicultural world.

These polls always claim the same thing: tolerance and diversity are progressing, but there is still much to do, and many steps must be taken if racism is to be completely removed from our societies -- and often the recommedation is that the first step should be to double the funds of whatever tax-funded group has commissioned the study. :rolleyes:

Statistics can be, and are, very easily manipulated; that is, if the numbers are in any way real in the first place. We should never forget that.

Erlingr Hárbarðarson
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
The poll showed that recent international terrorist attacks have effected Icelander's view towards Muslims. Results from the survey show that one out of every five Icelanders do not wish to live next door to a Muslim. 1000 Muslims are living in Iceland according to the Icelandic Broadcasting Service. The leader of the Association for Muslims in Iceland, Salmann Tamimi, said that it was important for people to read the Koran because people often misunderstood it - he also encouraged everyone to get to know Islam and Muslims.

I never understood this. Immigrants flee their land, and move into ours - we then are scolded on not knowing or understanding their culture. Do not misunderstand, I do not wish that immigrants e.g. read Håvamål or work slicing cheese ( :D ) so as to materialse optimal integration, but I se no sense to educating natives in third world culture so that natives can integrate better into their own societies. And quite frankly, "getting to know Islam and Muslims" comes second only to sitting on my spear. :icon_surp

ChrisDownUnder
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM
As others have stated, these figures from the Red Cross must be taken with a grain of salt. I doubt any results that went against the ‘omnipresent multicult indoctrination’ (as Eldritch put it), would be made public.

The questions relate to immigration and its effect on the standard of living and the economy. Why is the more pertinent question not asked, of whether Icelanders need or desire these ongoing ‘changes in society’ resulting from non-Scandinavian immigration? :confused:

It is somewhat alarming that only 16% were against their children marrying a foreigner; although one does not know what the surveyed individuals would regard as ‘foreign’ in this case (ie: fellow Scandinavians?).

... but I se no sense to educating natives in third world culture so that natives can integrate better into their own societies.Indeed. A mere 1000 Muslims (although proportionately a large figure in a country of approx. 280,000 persons), encourage the rest of Icelandic society to ‘get to know’ them. Utterly ridiculous! :mad: Such intrusions must be resisted at every opportunity.

Lundi
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Indeed. A mere 1000 Muslims (although proportionately a large figure in a country of approx. 280,000 persons), encourage the rest of Icelandic society to ‘get to know’ them. Utterly ridiculous! :mad: Such intrusions must be resisted at every opportunity.

Just like to add that a great number of these Muslims are Icelanders who have taken up the religion, scum they are but non the less not as many mud faces as the report tries to give across

nordnerd
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Just like to add that a great number of these Muslims are Icelanders who have taken up the religion, scum they are but non the less not as many mud faces as the report tries to give across

That is a weird phenomenom, the first time I saw an Icelander wearing a skull cap I did a double take. But that's rooted in anti-Israeli feelings, believe it or not.

I also find the question, "Are you for or against your son/daughter marrying a forgeiner" rather odd. What kind of a question is that? How can you be "for" or "against" that? The question does not define "foreigner", it just assumes it is "non Icelandic" but of course a "foreigner" could be a Scandi or some other Whites that could blend in well.

Erlingr Hárbarðarson
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I also find the question, "Are you for or against your son/daughter marrying a forgeiner" rather odd. What kind of a question is that? How can you be "for" or "against" that? The question does not define "foreigner", it just assumes it is "non Icelandic" but of course a "foreigner" could be a Scandi or some other Whites that could blend in well.

It is also a poor question on account of it forcing a stand on whether or not you will support your own son or daughter. The question is layered of two parts: one of foreign marriage and one of intra-family relationships. Icelanders still know the meaning of family, and so when asked of whether or not an Icelander will support their own children, seldom will the answer be "no" regardless of context. I think the percentages would be much higher for "no", if the question was asked personally and not how you feel about some one else marrying a foreigner. We are oft more lenient with others, but strive truest for the self. Selfish, but true never the less.