PDA

View Full Version : Nordic Component in Eastern European Populations acc. to Czechanowski

Prodigal Son
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Russians (territorial groups):

Unter-Oka group - 38.8%
Upper-Dniepr - 82.1%
Wolga-Kostroma - 49.5%
Waldai - 63.7%
Uralic - 28.8%
Central - 70.5%
Baltic - 63.7%

Belarussians:
63.7%

Lithuanians: 47-54%
Estonians: 45-60%
Latvians: 55-72%
Estonian Swedes: 78%

Source: Czekanowski, Jan "Zur Anthropologie des Balticums", Wroclaw, 1957.

Prodigal Son
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 10:24 PM
It should be noted that the term 'Nordic', as is used here, is meant to signify 'Nordic' in the classical sense, i.e. tall, depigmented, leptoprosopic mesodolicocephal. Other depigmented types are obviously not included (otherwises we'd see a much higher Nordic percentage for Lithuanians, Latvians, etc...) It should also be noted that Czekanowski did not consider the light-eyed, mesocephalic Ryazan/Don-Sursk/Eastern Great Russian type, which Coon characterized as 'Corded', to be Nordic, but rather a clinical Mediterranean-Nordic type, simmilar to Lundman's North Atlantid. If this type were included under the 'Nordic' heading, doubtless the percentages of some regions would be much higher as well...

Agrippa
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Because you asked me I will throw my two cents in.

First of all does he mean this in a "genetic" way, a.k.a. percentage in the mixture or that such numbers are present (visible) in phenotype.

The first is possible, for the later the numbers are imo to high especially if darker variants, "North Pontids", aren't included.

Prodigal Son
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 12:02 AM
Because you asked me I will throw my two cents in.

Thank you.

First of all does he mean this in a "genetic" way, a.k.a. percentage in the mixture or that such numbers are present (visible) in phenotype.

The former. I think that his methodology was simmilar to Gunther's way of assessing 'Nordic blood' in Europe, only considerably more sophisticated.

The first is possible, for the later the numbers are imo to high especially if darker variants, "North Pontids", aren't included.

I agree.