PDA

View Full Version : Any Weight Loss Suggestions?

AngryPotato
Wednesday, December 10th, 2003, 04:54 AM
I'm having trouble dropping the pounds as I'm working out. On a good week I get in 5x weight training / 3x bike riding. I think I have actually gained weight from the muscle building. Any ideas on a way to shed the fat.
Huge amounts of water I know.

Anyone use supplements such as protein drinks/ECA stackers for working out?

My diet has to include red meat and potatoes.

I'm looking into becoming a police officer and need to be able to bench 110% of my weight.

NormanBlood
Wednesday, December 10th, 2003, 06:08 AM
There is a technique I know called a "fat flush". Basically you are supposed to drink various mixtures of water and cranberry juice a day. It is a small amount of cranberry juice with a larger amount of water (will get right measurements later). Basically it cleans out your liver and insides and "flushes" all the fat out. Usually it takes about 2 weeks and you drink at approximately 7 times a day (in addition to lots of water). Also try to cut down on carbs for about 2 weeks. Carbs are what can really help in putting on the calories.

When it comes to work outs try a variation of different work outs at home (situps, "hindu" pushups, "hindu" squats, lunges, "the wall", the bridge, knuckle pushups etc.) then when you go to the gym do lots of cardio, cardio helps with the fat burn while lifting weights only helps with muscle (not necessarily getting rid of the unwanted).

Gladstone
Wednesday, December 10th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Probably you are quite aware of about 3/4 of what I'll say but I'll throw everything I know in just in case.

Ultimately it gets down to the caloric intake and whether your body is burning more calories than you take in daily. Generally it's advised for a male to have 2000 calories a day, a very active one somewhat more; however as you are trying to lose weight you might want to cut down below 2000. An absolute minimum recommended is 1200 daily and this, needless to say, gets into the unpleasant area of calorie counting. At those lower counts of calories you want to be sure they are of high qaulity as in having as many vitamins in them as possible and being low to non-fat foods if possible (those nutrition labels are all very helpful in this). Outside of the vitamins you want to be sure to be getting the daily recommended amounts for calcium (bones) and protein (muscles); as you are working out, even a bit more than the daily recommended for calcium and protein would not be entirely out of order if it can be swung. Probably you are taking vitamin supplements of some type which is wise. If you have been out of the loop as to exercize sometime prior to starting up, it is also adviseable to see a doctor about a physical and let him/her know what it is you are planning; sometimes there are hidden conditions that can be problematic.

There are also some "tricks" that can help out in the fight. When eating your meal(s) have it be in the morning or at mid-day but not within a few hours of going to bed; your body takes those late meals and burns them during the night rather than that fat you are trying to rid yourself of, and even turns those meals into fat as it is shutting down. As to water drink ice water if you are able; the body has to heat the water up which burns calories-I think I read somewhere 15-25 calories per 8 oz glass. If you have friends who love to eat at every social occassion, you might want to avoid them for a time or find something low calorie to eat at the restaurants (a couple of leaves of lettuce ought to do ;-). Do not weigh yourself daily, its too discouraging. Go by what you look like in the mirror; its that spare tire around your waist you want gone (and the rest of the fat too, if theres more than around the waist), and providing you are losing weight it should be shrinking and your clothes should be fitting looser (if that is not happening over a period of days, you'll have to adjust what it is you are doing.) Generally, and depending on body type, it is said "slim bordering on gaunt" is how our physical body ought to be as to fat--those "heroin addict" looking men and women models people laugh at know that and are probably far healthier than most. It is also useful to find a calorie converter; these can be found on the net and not only tell a person the calorie values of all sorts of foods but how much a person burns of the said calories from various exercize (everything from mowing lawns to walks to weights-also taking into account the length of time exercizing). The calorie converters are sobering as to exercize; a good hard three mile run can burn barely more than one or two candy bars worth of calories. I find exercize just too boring to go for hours daily, and is why I put the emphasis on calorie intake as to myself, however every person is different.

Hope this is of some help and best of luck as to the police job!;-)

Gladstone
Wednesday, December 10th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Just noticed the part as to the the ECA stackers and protein; I don't bother with the stackers (I do not know a great deal about those) but I have used protein supplements. Slimfast makes a soy protein powder (or did) I've used; its full of vitamins and protein (yes, its got sugar, but soy by itself without something flavoring it I have found to be disgusting:-(). There are certainly other soy products better than sLimfast; I just didn't want to spend the money :D. I've been trying to find alternatives to soy as a supplement, but it seems most are based on that.

As to the red meat, find the leanest cuts. Potatoes, even when on a low calorie diet seem to be turned immediately into fat if I did not know better;-). Again, best of luck on the fat loss effort!

Vojvoda
Wednesday, December 10th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Cut down on your carbohydrate intake.When you reduce your carbohydrates, your body will start to use up glycogen stores. Low glycogen forces your body to switch to using more body fat for energy.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, December 10th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Time honoured and proven weight loss method:
Eat less, move more.

Awar
Wednesday, December 10th, 2003, 11:12 PM
1. Really, walk for a couple of hours every day.
2. Work out regularly and intensively.
3. Eat on such a schedule so you truly use up the energy ( avoid eating late ).

Gaining strength means gaining weight.
I can bench-press 160-170% of my weight, for someone experienced, it's easy to lose weight but to keep the strength, if you're inexperienced, you can only lose both the weight with strength, so you'll end up again with lifting less than 110%.

Ahura Mazda
Thursday, December 11th, 2003, 03:43 AM
The Atkins diet works wonders for weight loss if you are excercising. It is basically what Vojvoda said, I guess, but also be prepared: your breath will reek the whole time you are on this diet.

AngryPotato
Thursday, December 11th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Thank you for all of your suggestions.

I've considered the Atkins diet and might do something like it (I will still eat potatoes). I would consider myself a picky eater who eats large quantities of a very limited range of foods. Reducing intake will of course help. I packed on the pounds after getting a tech job where I am on my ass all day and not on my feet 8 hours out in the field doing support.

I don't think I can go with water/cranberry juice. The juice would help me lose weight by dropping my intestines out. I'll try it out on Saturday to see how my body reacts.

Right now I'm using salmon oil and MegaMen vitamins as supplements. The MegaMen vitamins should cover all my needed vitamins and the salmon oil is supposed to help with triglyceride levels. I'm also taking the salmon oil pills because I eat no fish. Bad experience.

From speaking to a guy at GNC...I was told that I shouldn't go any lower than 3000 calories a day due to my height/muscle build.

So many views. Just trying to get ideas for one that will work for my body and lifestyle.

Julius
Tuesday, December 16th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Throw out the weighing-machine. Weight is no good measure since you're building muscles which increases your weight. It's not the weight that counts, but the percentage of fat in your body. Also, the more muscles you have the more energy the body will need, and thus with more muscles you will burn more fat also when just sitting in front of the computer.

If you have the opportunity: Do as the professional body-builders; walk every morning before breakfast. 90 minutes in high speed - but walk don't run. Aerobic excersice has a cathodic effect, ie. it decomposes not only fat but also muscles. Low-intense excersises are the best for burning fats and keeping muscles. Also bikeing is somewhat good for burning fat.

It's very good too eat small meals 5-6 times a day, every third hour. I won't go into any details, but it has to do with the insulin and blood sugar levels etc. When you eat only three times a day then the body will get lots of energy which it can't burn quick enough. When you eat the same amount of food, but spread out throughout the day the body will keep metabolizing fat. Also, it leads to a low and even blood sugar-level all day long so you won't be having any lure of sugar and fat food.

It's also important to eat fat, the body needs about 30% fat from food if I remember correctly. If you eat no fat at all the body believes it's starving and therefor lowers its burning of energy, puts away fat to `survive' and starts to burn carbohydrates instead.

Awar
Tuesday, December 16th, 2003, 01:24 PM
I agree with Julius 100%. If you listen to his advice, you can't go wrong.

Thorburn
Tuesday, December 16th, 2003, 01:28 PM
I'm having trouble dropping the pounds as I'm working out. On a good week I get in 5x weight training / 3x bike riding. I think I have actually gained weight from the muscle building. Any ideas on a way to shed the fat. You don't want to lose weight, you want to reduce fat. You probably converted already some fat into muscle. However, for quickest results either focus on gaining muscle while minimizing fat gain (mass phase), or on losing fat while minimizing muscle loss (diet phase).

Here is what you do:

1. There is no need to go 5x weight training a week while on diet phase. You will just overtrain and lose muscle. Three short but intense workouts a week (upper/lower body split on Mon/Tue, brief but intense full body workout on Friday) is plenty. Don't overtrain. Don't do extreme intensity. One set until total muscle failure is fine. Your ability to recover is decreased while dieting. You need some weight-training, however, to tell your body that the muscles are needed or it will burn surplus muscle (considered a luxury) first.

2. Do 3 - 4 times 30-40 mins cardio a week. Stay in the so-called fat burning zone (should actually be called muscle-maintenance-zone) in order not to lose muscle (pulse rate 110-120, or even lower, depending on your age.)

Please note that one doesn't lose much fat by doing cardio. You will not even burn the amount of calories of a Big Mac in that time. To lose 1 kg of fat (9000kcals) by cardio you would have to do insane amounts of it, and it would affect your muscles. You do cardio to train your cardiovascular system, not to lose fat. There are professional bodybuilders who reduce their amount of fat to competition level totally without any additional cardio (weight-training, if done correctly, is cardio-training anyway).

3. You lose fat by stimulating your muscles briefly (as above), by eating less than you burn (but not too little or your body will reduce its metabolism and start to burn surplus muscle which he considers luxury while not touching the fat which he considers survival reserves), and by eating the right things at the right frequency.

a. Go either on Atkins (70% fat, 30% protein, no carbs - best but who wants to eat like this, and you have to carb up before Friday, then go into ketosis again), or, easiest, stay in the Zone (40% fat, 30% protein, 30% carbs).

b. Don't eat less than 12 kcal/lbs of body weight/day, or you will burn little fat. Don't eat much more either. Stay under 15kcal/lbs, even when hungry. Do that 6 days a week. On the 7th day you can eat whatever you like, and about 18kcal/lbs. This "cheating day" doesn't only help you psychologically to stay on the diet, but it is crucial, so that your body doesn't get accustomed to the food shortage and reduces its metabolism.

c. Eat every 3 hours, 6 times/day.

d. Get enough protein with every meal to keep the amino-acids flowing, or you will lose muscle. Protein shakes are great, and so is tuna in brine, and lean chicken breast. Whey protein is best when dieting. (Why do you have to eat red meat and potatoes?) Get about 1g protein/lbs of body weight per day. You don't need more during diet phase.

e. ECA stack 1-3 times/day helps enormously, if ephedrine doesn't make you paranoid. Take definitely coffeine half an hour before you do your cardio.

f. Pop in 300 mg Vitamin C every 3 hours with your meals. Multi-vitamin/mineral once a day. Garlic is good, obviously, and so is Vitamin E and Calcium/Magnesium.

g. Drink 1 to 1/2 gallons/water per day. Your body works best when fully hydrated.

h. Creatine is great during mass phase, but you can save your money during diet phase. Just a waste.

i. The importance of enough sleep cannot be overemphasized.

j. Stay away from alcohol while on the diet phase.

k. Go sauna or steambath 3-4 x a week if you have the opportunity.

l. - z. Listen to your body. It knows best what it needs.

I guarantee that you, by following this method, can reduce your body fat to ~3-4% on Atkins, and to ~6-7% on the Zone, with very little muscle loss.

Hellenic Eagle
Tuesday, December 16th, 2003, 03:48 PM
My advice is very simple:

Forget all the bullsh*t you have heard so far and the diets.

The secret of losing wait is:

Dont eat anything in the night.

Eat as much as you can in the morning. The more you eat the better, eat whatever you like, and eat lots of eat. You can even eat a couple of loin steaks at 8:00 in the morning, no problem.

Then eat something good for lunch. Not very much, but a good meal.

In the evening do not eat anything. Drink a glass of milk before you go to bed. But the milk in the fire for some time, so that it is a bit warm and put some sugar in it. You will sleep like a fairy tale princess.
Alternatevely you can have a cup of tea before you sleep, but the best of all is to have some yogurt.
That is right, yogurt. Have some yogurt, pure non-flavoured yogurt, and then go to sleep. But do not eat other food. I guarantee you that with this method you will lose weight and improve your health, or your money back!

Pugnox
Wednesday, December 17th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Angry Potato-

Here's the easiest way:

I ordered this pill "Phentermine" over the internet. It's like $70 for 30 pills. It's really just speed of some sort I think and it gets perscribed by some internet "doctor". So, I took one pill every morning and didn't feel like eating anything all day. I ate one small meal every night and that was all I felt like eating since my body was all cranked up on speed. After two months I lost 40 pounds. No exercise, nothing. It just feels like you've had about 10 cups of coffee every morning.

Thorburn
Wednesday, December 17th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Angry Potato-

Here's the easiest way:

I ordered this pill "Phentermine" over the internet. It's like $70 for 30 pills. It's really just speed of some sort I think and it gets perscribed by some internet "doctor". So, I took one pill every morning and didn't feel like eating anything all day. I ate one small meal every night and that was all I felt like eating since my body was all cranked up on speed. After two months I lost 40 pounds. No exercise, nothing. It just feels like you've had about 10 cups of coffee every morning.

Stay away from Phentermine, in particular without medical supervision by a real life doctor; all metabolism boosters (including Ephedrine, Speed, Ecstacy, and Cocaine) contract your blood vessels, increase your heart beat and blood pressure, and are potential killers....

Brand name:
Phentermine

Pronounced: FEN-ter-min
Generic name: Phentermine hydrochloride
Other brand name: Ionamin, Bontril, Fastin, Tenuate

Why is Phentermine prescribed?

Phentermine, an appetite suppressant, is prescribed for short-term use (a few weeks) as part of an overall weight reduction program that also includes dieting, exercise, and counseling. The drug is for use only by excessively overweight individuals who have a condition--such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol--that could lead to serious medical problems.

Most important fact about Phentermine

Be sure to use this drug only as directed. It will lose its effect after a few weeks, and should be discontinued when this happens. If you try to boost its effectiveness by increasing the dose, you will run the risk of serious side effects and dependence on the drug.

How should you take Phentermine?

Take Phentermine before breakfast or up to 2 hours after breakfast. Tablets can be broken in half, if necessary.

Take Ionamin before breakfast or 10 to 14 hours before you go to bed. Ionamin capsules should be swallowed whole.

--If you miss a dose...

Skip the missed dose completely; then take the next dose at the regularly scheduled time.

--Storage instructions...

Store at room temperature.

What are the side effects of Phentermine?

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking this medication.

Side effects may include:

Changes in sex drive
constipation
diarrhea
dizziness
dry mouth
exaggerated feelings of depression or elation
headache
high blood pressure
hives
impotence
inability to fall or stay asleep
increased heart rate
overstimulation
restlessness
stomach or intestinal problems
throbbing heartbeat
tremors
unpleasant taste

Why should Phentermine not be prescribed?

If you are sensitive to or have ever had an allergic reaction to phentermine hydrochloride or other drugs that stimulate the nervous system, you should not take this medication. Make sure your doctor is aware of any drug reactions you have experienced.

Do not take this drug if you have hardening of the arteries, symptoms of heart or blood vessel disease, an overactive thyroid gland, the eye condition known as glaucoma, or high blood pressure. Also avoid this drug if you are agitated, have ever abused drugs, or have taken an MAO inhibitor, including antidepressant drugs such as Nardil and Parnate, within the last 14 days.

Special warnings about Phentermine

This drug can cause a rare but potentially fatal condition called primary pulmonary hypertension. Call your doctor immediately if you develop such warning signs as chest pain, shortness of breath, fainting spells, or swollen ankles.

This drug may affect your ability to perform potentially hazardous activities.

Therefore, you should be extremely careful if you have to drive a car or operate machinery.

You can become psychologically dependent on this drug. Consult your doctor if you rely on this drug to maintain a state of well-being.

If you stop taking this drug suddenly after you have taken high doses for a long time, you may find you are extremely fatigued or depressed, or that you have trouble sleeping.

If you continually take too much of any appetite suppressant it can cause severe skin disorders, a pronounced inability to fall or stay asleep, irritability, hyperactivity, and personality changes.

Even if your blood pressure is only mildly high, be careful taking this drug.

Possible food and drug interactions when taking Phentermine

Remember that this drug should never be combined with the weight-loss drug fenfluramine (Pondimin); very dangerous side effects could result. This drug may also react badly with alcohol. Avoid alcoholic beverages while you are taking it.

If Phentermine is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either can be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important that you check with your doctor before combining this drug with the following:

Drugs that boost serotonin levels, such as the antidepressants Luvox, Paxil, Prozac, Celexa, and Zoloft. Drugs classified as MAO inhibitors, including the antidepressants Nardil and Parnate.

Diabetes medications such as insulin and Micronase

High blood pressure medications such as guanethidine (Ismelin)

Special information if you are pregnant or breast feeding

The effects of this drug during pregnancy have not been adequately studied. If you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast feeding, notify your doctor immediately.

Overdosage

Any medication taken in excess can have serious consequences. An overdose of this drug can be fatal. If you suspect an overdose, seek emergency medical treatment immediately.

Symptoms of Phentermine overdose may include:
abdominal cramps
aggressiveness
confusion
diarrhea
exaggerated reflexes
hallucinations
high or low blood pressure
irregular heartbeat
nausea
panic states
rapid breathing
restlessness
tremors
vomiting

Fatigue and depression may follow the stimulant effects of this drug.

In cases of fatal poisoning, convulsions and coma usually precede death.

Thorburn
Wednesday, December 17th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Amphetamines

Examples: amphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine), methamphetamine (Desoxyn, Methedrine).

Medical uses: Attention deficit disorder (hyperactivity) of childhood, narcolepsy, obesity (occasionally and for limited period)

Effects attractive to abuser: Euphoria, increased ability to concentrate, increased alertness, heightened ability to perform intellectual and physical tasks, appetite suppression (for weight loss).

Adverse effects: Insomnia, restlessness, irritability, palpitations, rapid heartbeat, sweating, dilation of pupils, confusion, psychosis, convulsions, death.

How abused: Pills taken orally; solution injected intravenously; occasionally snorted into the nose in granular form.

Typical urine detection cutoff level: 300 ng/mL

Period detectable after last dose: Up to 30 hours on low dose, 120 hours on high dose.

Substances causing false positive results (on initial drug screen only):decongestants (ephedrine [Vatronol, Efedron], phenylpropanolamine [Propagest, Sucrets Decongestant Formula, Rhindecon]); "diet pills" (phenmetrazine [Preludin], phentermine [Phentrol, Tora, Fastin, Obe-Nix, Obephen, Obermine, Obestin, Parmine, Phentamine, Phentrol 2, Unifast, Wilpowr, Adipex-P, Dapex-37.5, Ionamin, Phentrol], phenylpropanolamine [Diadax, Prolamine, Control, Dex-A-Diet, Dexatrim-15, Unitrol, Maximum Strength Acutrim, Appedrine]; blood vessel dilators (isoxuprine [Vasodilan], nylidrin [Adrin, Arlidin]). Only confirmatory testing of the urine will determine if these interfering drugs are present. It should be noted that some of these drugs, such as phenmetrazine and phentermine, while not technically amphetamines, have similar abuse potential and similar adverse effects.

Allenson
Wednesday, December 17th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Time honoured and proven weight loss method:
Eat less, move more.

I couldn't agree more. For me, it's really pretty simple: stay active and just use common sense whilst choosing what to eat. The older you get, the more you'll be in tune with your intake/outflow balance.

Pugnox
Wednesday, December 17th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Ya, I read all the American lawyer scare tactics about Phentermine as well. The only side effect I had was some sleeplessness- I just took some sleeping pills at times but usually the body itself is so tired from lack of calories that you fall asleep naturally...

Pugnox
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 01:54 AM
I, for example, take all metabolism boosters very badly, and that's still a euphemism. In fact, I got hospitalized once after taking ephedrine, and got all the typical symptoms: confusion, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat (my pulse went up to over 200 beats/minute, then, at times, my heart stopped irregularly for a second or two), panic states, dehydration, rapid breathing, &c. - I drank 14 liters of water in two hours.

I know what you mean. My current wife, virtually all Danish by the way, can't even take Nyquil without having the same effects you just described. My first wife, on the other hand, French, could drink alcohol all night and still stand. Maybe it's a racial thing...

Awar
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 02:14 AM
I once took two effedrines in 48 hours. My heart was racing like crazy.

I have low bloodpressure, but a little effedrine, and I was like a Jewish lawyer on cocaine.

Pugnox
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 02:29 AM
I once took two effedrines in 48 hours. My heart was racing like crazy.

I have low bloodpressure, but a little effedrine, and I was like a Jewish lawyer on cocaine.

I have two or three espressos in the morning just to wake up so, maybe for me, this phentermine was nothing. All I can say is that it worked for me...

Awar
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 02:41 AM
I drink a lot of Coffee every day, but amphetamines seem to hit me the wrong way.

Vojvoda
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Njord-

I know what you mean. My current wife, virtually all Danish by the way, can't even take Nyquil without having the same effects you just described. My first wife, on the other hand, French, could drink alcohol all night and still stand. Maybe it's a racial thing...

Actually, it could be a blood type thing IMO.

Razmig
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Working out on an empty stomach, going fast and resting less between sets as well as going heavier can also result in fat loss. But as soon as you go home you should drink like a nutt and consume as much protein possible (as to avoid losing any muscle). Consuming over 32 grams of protein can damage the liver (some say), however I have friends who consume 100g+ a day and are huge and healthy as lions. Everyones metabolism varies, you should also take into consideration visiting an endocronologist to check up on your endocrine system for Thyroidal problems, testasterone mis-production or high estrogen levels. I used to have Gynocommastia (enlarging of nipples) due to high estrogen levels in my blood. Although I work out now I still have a bit of Gyno that can only be cured with surgery, although temporary methods such as Yohimbe intake can make it go away for a while.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Wednesday, December 24th, 2003, 07:09 AM
You can go on punishing yourself for years and years as I did or you can simply lose the fat. I am 56, I can run one mile uphill at 6500 ft., box ten rounds, do a day's manuel labor, surf ten foot waves or do anything else you wish. I have almost no fat on my body. It wasn't always so but what I did was so simple that I doubt you or anyone else will do it. I simply stopped eating sugar. This means sugar, candy, pastry, everything. Fruit is ok but no juice. It really doesn't matter what else you eat or how much. It all has to do with insulin production which is triggered by blood sugar. High blood sugar in the presence of insulin causes fat to be deposited. Another tip, run or do aerobics in the morning before breakfast. I did this for a year and all the fat was gone.

AngryPotato
Thursday, December 25th, 2003, 05:59 AM
I'm leaning that way now Doc Wolff. When I found out about my mother having diabetes I figured it was time that I get into shape. If I can dump this excess weight I know I will find the muscle development I've always wanted. I weight train regularly with no problems, but my eating habits are a shame.

Awar
Thursday, December 25th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Wolff's got a point.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, January 4th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Well, first of all, if you are having trouble benching 110% of your body weight, we have a problem.

If you try to lose weight while you are lifting weights, you will have a problem doing both.

Lose the fat, then lift weights. I overheard a pro boxing trainer advise his fighter on how to lose weight. It sounded stupid until I tried it years later. I "tripple-promise" (in the words of Baghdad Bob) that it will work. Wake up every morning and jog before breakfast--BEFORE BREAKFAST. Then, eat no sugar at all until you drop the pounds. You will drop the weight. It all has to do with the way sugar (refined sugar) stimulates insulin production in your body. Even small amounts of sugar makes the body secret insulin. Your body thinks it has just had a big meal and the insulin turns everything else you have eaten into fat. This advice works wonders for boxers and did for me too.

I wish I could sell this workout to overweight Americans, I'd make millions, but the chances for a patent are nill.

Once you have dropped the fat, stop running and begin weights. I don't know if you have ever lifted before and that matters greatly in training you, but it sounds like you have not done much weights. Try five sets of five on the bench and two sets of 15 on the deadlift (legs bent). Do this twice a week. That's it! Bench should be about 80% of max. Deadlift as much weight as to feel fatigue while keeping the movement fluid (no super-heavy stuff on the deadlift). Add weight to the lifts every third or fourth workout. Little increases are ok. Get a spotter and trainer if you can. Make this an athletic event in itself but don't hang around in the gym. Forget stackers, protein, drugs, food fads, you simply don't need them for 110% of body weight on the bench.

AngryPotato
Monday, January 5th, 2004, 04:32 AM
I am going with your program. I weightlifted in my early years of high school, but stopped and haven't worked out much in a few years. The 110% shouldn't be too difficult to get working with, but I'd like to lose about 50 pounds to make that much easier to bench. I'm about 300lb now @ 6'5 and I can see myself at 250lb with weight loss. I am thinking that if I lose the 50 that it will come back on, but as muscle. I don't see myself as ever being a 200lb person because of my natural build. Only way to get me that low would be with a japanese pow diet.

I also have a weird schedule of eating and was wondering what your thoughts are.

I normally get up about 8AM and eat no breakfast because I find myself feeling blah afterwards. I normally eat my first meal between noon and 1pm. At about 6PM I have a snack of an apple, banana, or whatever was leftover from lunch. I eat dinner about 8:30-9PM and I'm in bed by 1-2AM. Seems like a strange schedule, but it revolves around my work hours of 9:30AM-8PM. I have no problem with biking in the morning before work. Do you think I should switch around and toss in a small breakfast of oatmeal after my morning session?
8:30AM Oatmeal
1PM Lunch
6PM Supper
9PM Dinner
Some people have said that its a bad idea to eat later at night but with my late schedule I can't decide if that applies to me or not.

Awar
Monday, January 5th, 2004, 04:41 AM
I'm always working on better definition of muscles, and tighter abs, but the more I get defined, and the more weight I loose, the less strength I have.

My maximum bench-press last year was 170kg, now I can hardly lift 160kg.

Awar
Monday, January 5th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Im lifting without using anything, but I'm considering buying some creatine and tribulus, just to see what the results will be.

I think I could lift around 190kg if I improved the technique.

I think it's because of my UP type bodytype :)

Awar
Monday, January 5th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Since there is no literature available here ( on anything :)) I'll make a search about Tribulus tonight. It should be cheap here, because it's produced in neighbouring Bulgaria.

Right now, I'm around 102kg or less. I've lost 10kg because of training some boxing and a light injury I've had in october. I don't know what's my accurate fat%, my guess is as good as anyone elses, and I'll say maybe 10-15%.

302.5kg !!! Wow! I didn't know humans can lift that much!

Razmig
Monday, January 5th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Im lifting without using anything, but I'm considering buying some creatine and tribulus, just to see what the results will be.

I think I could lift around 190kg if I improved the technique.

I think it's because of my UP type bodytype :)
If anyone heres got a UP type body its me...haha...u dont seem to have much hair on that chest of yours. DO NOT DO CREATINE! I REPEAT DO NOT DO IT! Tribulus is ok but I've heard you need a perscription. Creatine will a)damage liver and possible hospitalize you b)destroy metabolism c)make for fast gains, which result in fast loses....going natural is the best way to go. 100g of protein is all you need a day, as long as you hit the gym hard, the harder your gains, the longer they stay.
*EDIT* i heard Russia produces a 10 pound whey protein shake that costs something along the lines of 25 american dollars!
btw Awar how much can you bench?

Thorburn
Monday, January 5th, 2004, 10:39 PM
If anyone heres got a UP type body its me...haha...u dont seem to have much hair on that chest of yours. DO NOT DO CREATINE! I REPEAT DO NOT DO IT!
Just do it. Death has never been more trendy. :D

:jk

I'm taking creatine for years, and it has no side-effects whatsoever. My blood and liver values are totally normal (I only tested them last in November).

Creatine Comes Clean

A decade of research reveals that creatine is the real deal?but watch your step when tempted by other supplements making big promises

by Dan Oko

IN 1992, when the journal Clinical Science first championed the muscle-building properties of creatine, critics cried foul, warning of side effects including kidney and liver damage. A mountain of research ensued. The result, ten years later, is a rare thumbs-up for the multi-billion-dollar supplement industry: an over-the-counter muscle enhancer backed by research and endorsed?though with decided reluctance?by the medical establishment. Study after study shows that creatine supplements can help you with anaerobic bursts of strength, without the side effects once feared.

As an amino acid manufactured by your liver and kidneys and found in meat, creatine is used to produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the molecule that drives muscle contraction. But during intense anaerobic exercise?flashing a 5.10, ripping a double black?creatine stores in your muscles are exhausted, leaving you fatigued and unable to go on. By taking a creatine supplement, research shows you can provide your muscles with more fuel to endure longer bouts of explosive action. In one study at Appalachian State University, 36 track athletes consumed creatine while training and saw gains in their jumping ability and lean-muscle mass.

Source: http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200206/200206_creatine_1_preview.html?cobrand_i d=258

Razmig
Tuesday, January 6th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Just do it. Death has never been more trendy. :D

:jk

I'm taking creatine for years, and it has no side-effects whatsoever. My blood and liver values are totally normal (I only tested them last in November).

Creatine Comes Clean

A decade of research reveals that creatine is the real deal?but watch your step when tempted by other supplements making big promises

by Dan Oko

IN 1992, when the journal Clinical Science first championed the muscle-building properties of creatine, critics cried foul, warning of side effects including kidney and liver damage. A mountain of research ensued. The result, ten years later, is a rare thumbs-up for the multi-billion-dollar supplement industry: an over-the-counter muscle enhancer backed by research and endorsed?though with decided reluctance?by the medical establishment. Study after study shows that creatine supplements can help you with anaerobic bursts of strength, without the side effects once feared.

As an amino acid manufactured by your liver and kidneys and found in meat, creatine is used to produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the molecule that drives muscle contraction. But during intense anaerobic exercise?flashing a 5.10, ripping a double black?creatine stores in your muscles are exhausted, leaving you fatigued and unable to go on. By taking a creatine supplement, research shows you can provide your muscles with more fuel to endure longer bouts of explosive action. In one study at Appalachian State University, 36 track athletes consumed creatine while training and saw gains in their jumping ability and lean-muscle mass.

Source: http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200206/200206_creatine_1_preview.html?cobrand_i d=258

I don't doubt that you've taken it and survived to tell about it. lol But I know a close friend who took creatine and weeks after was hospitalized with liver failure. Everyones body is different, and with suppliments, which btw are not regulated by FDA, or other organizations, can be be harmful to some and not to others. I wonder, is there a reason suppliments are not inspected?

Glenlivet
Friday, January 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Do you have any advice for a young girl (not me :)) who want to lose weight? I feel that she does not need it. I am worried about her. It is a matter of having a wrong self-image. I do not want her to become anorectic.

I have tried with saying that she should eat a lot of fibers (20-30 gram/day). Fibers are good for the stomach (for a proper bowel function). Diets (they can even prevent weight loss, as the body compensate for the loss of calories) are not good etc. She does not eat much breakfast. I think that she only eat one meal per day. It is better to spread it out and eat several (4-5 meals, but smaller portions, no snacks and alcohol) each day. She does not exercise much either. She does drink a lot of water. I guess that what she is doing leads to muscle tissue loss.

A realistic weight loss is two pounds (almost 1 kg) per week. Around 500 calories per day should do it. One can also reduce saturated fat. Grains, beans, nuts and seeds are good protein sources. Skinless chicken, turkey and fish (this girl does not like it though) is also good. Fruits are good for fiber and vitamins. Whole grains are also a good source for Vitamind B and E.

Amphetamines, as Caffeine, which several people in this thread have already mentioned, are appetite suppressants. Benzphetamine; Diethylpropion; Mazindol, as well as Phendimetrazine are all sympathomimetic (mimicing of some body effects) appetite suppressants for obesity.

Razmig
Friday, January 9th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Do you have any advice for a young girl (not me :)) who want to lose weight? I feel that she does not need it. I am worried about her. It is a matter of having a wrong self-image. I do not want her to become anorectic.

I have tried with saying that she should eat a lot of fibers (20-30 gram/day). Fibers are good for the stomach (for a proper bowel function). Diets (they can even prevent weight loss, as the body compensate for the loss of calories) are not good etc. She does not eat much breakfast. I think that she only eat one meal per day. It is better to spread it out and eat several (4-5 meals, but smaller portions, no snacks and alcohol) each day. She does not exercise much either. She does drink a lot of water. I guess that what she is doing leads to muscle tissue loss.

A realistic weight loss is two pounds (almost 1 kg) per week. Around 500 calories per day should do it. One can also reduce saturated fat. Grains, beans, nuts and seeds are good protein sources. Skinless chicken, turkey and fish (this girl does not like it though) is also good. Fruits are good for fiber and vitamins. Whole grains are also a good source for Vitamind B and E.

Amphetamines, as Caffeine, which several people in this thread have already mentioned, are appetite suppressants. Benzphetamine; Diethylpropion; Mazindol, as well as Phendimetrazine are all sympathomimetic (mimicing of some body effects) appetite suppressants for obesity.

Half a cup of oatmeal a day alone can lead to weight loss, and indeed it can prevent bowel problems in the future as it cleans out the intestines. Excersizing is one of the most important things you can do, 30 minutes of cardio and weight lifting 3 times a week should suffice. Each pound of muscle burns off roughly 200 calories a day...the more muscle increase there is (it will not show physically in a woman as it does in a man) can increase calories being burnt. Also cardiovascular excersizes can help build up a healthy longlasting heart and speed up the metabolism sometimes 2x. Drinking water is important of coarse, but most diehard gym-heads drink a lot to flush out excess protein which can damage the liver is exceeding 35grms (I don't beleive that tho, the body flushes out excess protein).

If shes lazy and has bad eating habbits, the Atkins diet (or protein diet) works greatly.

Ullr
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 11:10 PM
There is a technique I know called a "fat flush". Basically you are supposed to drink various mixtures of water and cranberry juice a day. It is a small amount of cranberry juice with a larger amount of water (will get right measurements later). Basically it cleans out your liver and insides and "flushes" all the fat out. Usually it takes about 2 weeks and you drink at approximately 7 times a day (in addition to lots of water). Also try to cut down on carbs for about 2 weeks. Carbs are what can really help in putting on the calories.

When it comes to work outs try a variation of different work outs at home (situps, "hindu" pushups, "hindu" squats, lunges, "the wall", the bridge, knuckle pushups etc.) then when you go to the gym do lots of cardio, cardio helps with the fat burn while lifting weights only helps with muscle (not necessarily getting rid of the unwanted).
Mmm, cranberries. I like their music too.;)

Dr. Solar Wolff
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 06:23 AM
This is so simple that most people will not try it. I can't sell it, but, when it works, you could send donations.

1. Jog every morning before eating.

2. Eat no sugar.

This is how prize fighters "make weight" without losing strength or speed. I heard a trainer tell this to his fighter. This was in 1978 and I thought I knew better. In 2000, it tried it. The fat just melted off. "Jog" means at least a mile at the best pace you are capable. I went uphill for a mile and then coasted back down. "Sugar" means sweet thing except for two pieces of fruit per day, but no juice. This removes fat from the whole body but it will remove fat from around your middle so no abdominal work is necessary until you begin to see your "abs" in the mirror. Then you can do ab work for more definition there.

Turificator
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 12:09 PM
I've been taking creatine on and off for 3 years without any apparent trouble. I'm not too sure if it works, but it doesn't seem to have done me any harm (although I only take it with water before my weight-training, twice a week).