PDA

View Full Version : Vatican Slams Madonna's Crucifixion Stunt

Taras Bulba
Friday, August 4th, 2006, 08:24 PM
This disgusts me to no end!

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/music/articles/_a/vatican-slams-madonnas-crucifixion-stunt/20060803174209990002

Vatican Slams Madonna's Crucifixion Stunt
Religious Officials Call it an 'Act of Open Hostility'
AP

ROME (Aug. 4) - Madonna 's plans to stage a mock crucifixion during a Sunday concert in Rome have drawn fire from religious leaders, who have condemned the stunt as "an act of open hostility" toward the Roman Catholic Church.

During the concerts of her "Confessions" world tour, the American diva appears crucified on a mirrored cross while wearing a crown of thorns.

The prospect of the scene being repeated at the concert in Rome's Olympic stadium, some 2 miles from the Vatican, prompted Catholic officials to denounce the act as a publicity stunt in bad taste.

"To crucify yourself in the city of the pope and the martyrs is an act of open hostility," Cardinal Ersilio Tonini was quoted as saying in La Stampa daily on Wednesday. "It's a scandal created on purpose by astute merchants to attract publicity."

Muslim and Jewish leaders also condemned the fake crucifixion.

"It's not the first time Madonna stages such an act. We deplore it, we feel it is an act of bad taste," said Mario Scialoja, the president of the Muslim World League in Italy.

"We express solidarity with the Catholic world," said Riccardo Pacifici, spokesman for Rome's Jewish community. "It's a disrespectful act, and to do it in Rome is even worse."

In May, the Catholic League in the United States expressed its discontent for the stunt after Madonna performed it at the tour's opening concert in Inglewood, California.

"Knock off the Christ-bashing," Catholic League president Bill Donohue said in a statement. "It's just pathetic."

Still, tickets for the Rome concert were selling quickly, with only about 100 left by Thursday, news agency ANSA reported.

Following concerts throughout North America, the "Confessions" tour continues through Sept. 21 with dates in Europe and Japan.

In an e-mail to The Associated Press on Thursday, the singer's New York-based spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, said: "Madonna does not think Jesus would be mad at her, as his teaching of loving thy neighbor and tolerance is Madonna 's message as well. The context of Madonna 's performance on the crucifix is not negative nor disrespectful toward the church."

Taras Bulba
Friday, August 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM
In an e-mail to The Associated Press on Thursday, the singer's New York-based spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, said: "Madonna does not think Jesus would be mad at her, as his teaching of loving thy neighbor and tolerance is Madonna 's message as well. The context of Madonna 's performance on the crucifix is not negative nor disrespectful toward the church."

Forgive me Liz Rosenberg for being skeptical of your ability to determine what our Lord Christ taught and determining what is not being disrespectful towards the Church.

:hveðrungur:
Friday, August 4th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Hopefully my posting here won't offend anyone. I don't mean to and if I do someone please tell me and I will delete my post.

While I have my own problems and disagreements with Christianity and the Catholic Church in General, I think the woman is a complete twat for doing such a thing... even though I've always thought she was a twat. I wonder how she would feel if someone did something similar making a mockery of her Quaballah (spelling?) religious beliefs? I have a hard time respecting the Catholic church for the acts commited on it's behalf in the past but I can understand the anger and frustration coming from the Church with this.

On the other hand one could say, what goes around comes around. People like me (Germanic Heathens / Pagans) are constantly lambasted with false statements from Christian groups seeking to demonize our beliefs, especially the Catholic church. Maybe having their beliefs blasted and insulted in such a way is Wyrd coming around? I find it kind of hypocritical to bash other ancient religious beliefs but to be offended and make a big deal out of it when someone does it to you. Who knows, but I still think she's a disrespectfull moron for doing such a thing.

Maybe some of her Catholic fans (if she has any) should e-mail her or the record company that sells her music about this and the second she sees how many millions she could loose she won't do it.

Sciz
Friday, August 4th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Woah, hold on! There are still people who listen to Madonna!?! For me, she's relegated to the era of A Flock of Seagulls and Wang Chung.

I'm not a Catholic and I agree this is offensive. If it wasn't for all of the other trappings of the event as well as its location and date, I would say there's an outside chance she could pull it off as not being an attack aimed at Christianity in general and more directly at the Catholic Church, but this is rediculous. She must think people are idiots.

Madonna does not think Jesus would be mad at her, as his teaching of loving thy neighbor and tolerance is Madonna 's message as well. The context of Madonna 's performance on the crucifix is not negative nor disrespectful toward the church.
This has to be a joke. How can this not be seen as being disrespectful toward the Church? So, Jesus is tolerant and that means he can never be offended? As an artist myself, I fully support freedom of speech and expression, but one has to know their audience or face the consequences of their idiocy.

I wonder how she would feel if someone did something similar making a mockery of her Quaballah (spelling?) religious beliefs?
Well, according to some in Orthodox Judaism, she shouldn't be practising the Qabbala anyway as she is not only a woman, but also a non-Jew. With such little respect for the tradition she professes, I doubt she would care if people mocked it.

Istigkeit
Saturday, August 5th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Madonna is just a stupid immature woman that is pre-occupied with being the center of attention. She's a whore and is such just to anger her father and anyone else that disagrees with her views of "tolerance."

EDIT: If everyone quits paying attention to her, maybe she will go away forever.

Istigkeit
Saturday, August 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM
So, is this a thread about Madonna, or about Christian persecution of Pagans?

Just wondering.

Leofric
Saturday, August 5th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Just wondering.
This is a thread about Madonnna.

The thread about Christian persecution of Pagans is here:
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=63082

Sorry about the confusion (and thank you for helping to clear it up). ;)

Sciz
Saturday, August 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Just wondering.
Indeed. So, in an effort to clear the air and bring us all back to a neutral ground, I'll post something we should all agree on; the tastiness of my favorite pumpkin ale recipe.

Pumpkin Ale

Ingredients:
6-10 pounds of pumpkin
1 pound of Vienna malt, 4L
½ pound crystal malt, 40L
½ pound malted wheat
6 pounds light or amber malt extract
1 cup brown suger (optional)
½ cup molasses (optional)
1 ounce Mt. Hood hops (boiling)
½ ounce Hallertauer hops (finishing)
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ to 1 teaspon pumpkin pie spices
Wyeast 1056, American AleDirections:

The first thing to say is do not use canned pumpkin! Real pumpkin is the only way to go here, otherwise you'll be dealing with a huge mess. You've been warned.

You'll first need to roast the pumpkin in the oven, similar to cooking squash. This softens the pumpkin and begins breaking it down. Cut the pumpkin into manageable pieces (should be cleaned, of course—old jack-o'lanterns work great), place in a shallow baking pan and add a bit of water to the pan. Roast in a 325°-ish oven for about an hour, or until soft. Or check a cookbook :).

There's two ways you can incorporate the finished pumpkin: a partial mash-style method or simply a soak with the grains as the water heats. For the soak method, simply add the pumpkin and the grains to your pot of water, put it on the heat to boil. When it boils, remove the pumpkin and grains.

For the partial mash, add the pumpkin and grains to hot water (between 150 and 170 degrees Fahrenheit is fine, I believe) and let rest for an hour, then bring to a boil and remove the pumpkin and grains. (Use a wire strainer for this.)

Add the malt extract (6 pounds is for dry, you could easily get away with 7 pounds if it's syrup), optional brown sugar and molasses, Mt. Hood hops and boil for 1 hour. After 45 minutes, add the finishing Hallertauer hops. At the very end of the boil, add the vanilla and pumpkin pie spices—these are volatile and adding them to the boil any sooner will essentially nullify their flavor.

Ferment for 1 week, or until primary fermentation settles down, and rack to a secondary for 2 more weeks. Bottle, priming with ½ cup of corn sugar, and drink after a couple of weeks.

Good, I feel better now.:) Now we can all get back to disliking Madonna.
Just look at what a twat she is:

Sciz
Saturday, August 5th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Ack! Sorry about that, the thread was split as I was posting. :( Can I have it moved please?

Sorry again.

Leofric
Saturday, August 5th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Ack! Sorry about that, the thread was split as I was posting. :( Can I have it moved please?

Sorry again.
Not a problem.

By the way, I'm leaving this post here to help explain the presence of the pumpkin ale recipe. :D

Sciz
Saturday, August 5th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Ah, Indeed. Thank you, Leofric. :)

Skildur
Saturday, August 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Talking about Madonna. I recently have seen her video (by accident) and noticed overwhelming number of non-whites in it. to be correct - she was the only white in this video - all others dancers were either blacks or latinos. I thought it was pretty weird- Madonna dancing in a crowd of lewd colour folks.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Talking about Madonna. I recently have seen her video (by accident) and noticed overwhelming number of non-whites in it. to be correct - she was the only white in this video - all others dancers were either blacks or latinos. I thought it was pretty weird- Madonna dancing in a crowd of lewd colour folks.

Hey, give her a break. She has lived a hard life. First there were a series of Negroes for sex. Then, a kid with a Mexican. Then, she married a failed British movie producer. She failed at becoming British. She failed at becoming Jewish. She moved back to California after being driven out of Britain by the tabloids. And now here, hubby is just another out-of-work "movie producer" in Hollywood who is just dead weight. What else can she do to get publicity? She either returns to the well and insults Catholicism or finds a broken down Dennis Rodman to make the news.

Istigkeit
Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Hey, give her a break. She has lived a hard life. First there were a series of Negroes for sex. Then, a kid with a Mexican. Then, she married a failed British movie producer. She failed at becoming British. She failed at becoming Jewish. She moved back to California after being driven out of Britain by the tabloids. And now here, hubby is just another out-of-work "movie producer" in Hollywood who is just dead weight. What else can she do to get publicity? She either returns to the well and insults Catholicism or finds a broken down Dennis Rodman to make the news.

Hopefully she won't put out SEX II.:P

That was not art!!

nicholas
Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Why is it so many europeans give her relevance? She's completely irrelevant to me and most other people I know.

Istigkeit
Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 02:30 PM
She's just wants to be Euro-Trash, that's all.

Taras Bulba
Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Great...Madonna actually has the nerve to openly invite the Pope to see her charade! :mad:

http://www.newkerala.com/news4.php?action=fullnews&id=2659

Madonna invites the Pope to watch her ‘crucifixion’!

Washington: Madonna has found the perfect way to stop the barrage of religious criticism she has come under for taking the decision to perform a mock-crucifixion stunt during her concert in Rome, by asking Pope Benedict VI to come to her concert.

Madonna's spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg said that after seeing the Madonna’s performance, the Pope was sure to applaud her for the ‘eloquence and beauty’ that she expresses for humanity in the song ‘Live to Tell’.

"I think the Pope would enjoy the show and would applaud her performance. He has an open invitation to see for himself the eloquence and beauty that Madonna expresses for humanity while performing her poignant song LIVE TO TELL," Contactmusic quoted her, as telling the New York Daily News.

Yeah...ok, Im real sure the Pope(who was nicknamed "the Panzer Kardinal" by Liberals and progressives) would applaud the "eloquence and beauty" of Madonna's work. Doesn't take a moron to realise how stupid that sounds.

Oh well....moving on:

Ersilio Cardinal Tonino, speaking on behalf of the Pope, had said that the concert was a ‘blasphemous challenge’ to the Christian faith, and called for the queen of pop to be excommunicated.

"This concert is a blasphemous challenge to the faith and a profanation of the cross. She should be ex-communicated. To crucify herself during the concert in the city of Popes and martyrs is an act of open hostility," he said.

You mean to tell me she hasnt been excommunicated already? WTF???

Either way, forget that. Let's have a good old fashion auto de fe! :bounce