View Full Version : Guy De Dampiere/Gwijde van Dampierre

Tuesday, September 27th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Does anyone have any information on this Duke of Flanders? He is an ancestor of mine on my mothers side of the family. I would appreciate any help.

Tuesday, September 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Take a start with this site of a re-enactment association, De Liebaert, which recreates life as it was in the 14th century's Flanders at the time of the Battle of the Gulden Spurs:

The site is bilingual, Dutch/English.

Tuesday, September 27th, 2005, 10:58 PM
This is a brief list of his biographical data and those of his children.

This is Wikipedia's entry on Guy. It's quite sparse, but does have a link to the entry on the French House of Dampierre (in French).

This is Guy's record on the genealogical site of the Mormon church. They've got links to pedigrees and descendants. It's user-submitted, so it's difficult to know the accuracy.

Guy is at the bottom of this webpage, and they list a source for their information: Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 200.

He also had a psautier, which is currently held in the Free Library of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, and a Flemish Psalter, which is at Oxford.

Wednesday, September 28th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for those links chaps.:)

An interesting puzzel has occured. On my family tree there is William De Bethune, Lord of Tenremond. He is the line from which the Battenson/Betton family derive. Above him is Guy De Dampiere. Now on two of those links he is not mentioned as an offspring of Guy's. Yet he obviously shares the same name as Guy's wife Mahout De Bethune. And his brother Robert De Bethune became Count of Flanders. Was he born before Mahout married Guy? I would be pleased if anyone knows.