PDA

View Full Version : The Bible Code

Blutw÷lfin
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Yesterday, I saw a documentary about some professors of a Hebrew university who found a code in the bible which predics some actions that will happen in the future. As a proof, they showed some incidents that were predicted by the bible: e.g. that in first war in iraq rockets were shot to israel, dates of birth of some rabbis, murder of kennendy and things like that.
now they found out that this code also predicts a nuclear holocaust in 2006.

In the meantime, two teams of sceptics (one based in London) of this code examined with special computer software this code and found out, that in 2 of 3 cases the prediction of the hidden code in the bible is right.

Have you already heard about this?
Do you believe in these predictions?
Or is this kind of spreading fear by the Jews to gain some kind of benefit from?

Fraxinus Excelsior
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Yesterday, I saw a documentary about some professors of a Hebrew university who found a code in the bible which predics some actions that will happen in the future. As a proof, they showed some incidents that were predicted by the bible: e.g. that in first war in iraq rockets were shot to israel, dates of birth of some rabbis, murder of kennendy and things like that.

In the meantime, two teams of sceptics (one based in London) of this code examined with special computer software this code and found out, that in 2 of 3 cases the prediction of the hidden code in the bible is right.

Or is this kind of spreading fear by the Jews to gain some kind of benefit from?I believe I saw the same show last week on the History Channel; in it, didn't the skeptics find such a code in Melville's Moby Dick?

I'm more inclined to believe in the validity of the Moby Dick code, not the Bible code.

Oskorei
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I have heard it, and I am a little sceptic. The reason for this is that the alphabet being used in the "old" Bible does not have vowels ("a", "o", "e" and so on). This means that there is more room for interpretation (when "filling in the vowels"), and chance can play a greater part than if the alphabet had vowels. The number of possible predictions increase.

I don't think it's a Zionist hoax though. Many Jews seem to be interested in the subject, but that is probably because numerology is important in their tradition.

A quick google brought up these pages:
http://www.bible-codes.org/
http://www.biblecodedigest.com/

Theobald
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I have a book written by Michael Drosnin about this code.
It's quite interesting indeed, since he predicts this with the Code :
- A financial crisis, which is supposed to have started in 2002, but one will see its effects only later.
- A Thirld World War in 2006, which would start with a conflict Israel/Arabs. This nuclear war would be the last. At the end, Europe would be the first world power (although it has been invaded during the war), and all other big states (especially Russia) would be destroyed (except China). And then, the Antechrist would come, he would become Europe's then Middle East's leader during 7 years.

But it seems to be quite delirious... :shrug :suspect

Taras Bulba
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Im quite skeptical of it(it may suprise some to know that despite being a religious person, Im also quite a skeptic towards these things). Drosin has even been criticised by others who adhere to this nonsense.

alphaknave
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 02:43 AM

Or is this kind of spreading fear by the Jews to gain some kind of benefit from? I do not believe any of this. Remember Y2K? I think it is just another public scare, even if there is "proof". How is it possible for the bible to predict such things? It is not.

Mj÷lnir
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 09:15 AM
Skeptiker disprove the best-seller "of the Bible code"

who search, which finds Christoph Droesser the responsible persons in the American publishing house Simon and shoemaker must itself the hands have rubbed: Articles in magazines such as Newsweek, mirrors and focus appreciated at the beginning of of June the straight published book "of the Bible code" from Michael Drosnin (in Germany with Heyne appeared). Therein the author sets up the statement, the Bible (more exactly said the five books Mose) contains in coded form prophecies for many events, which passed the presidency Bill Clintons as well as the murder of Jitzhak Rabin after their minute - under it the Holocaust, in the year 1995. Picture made equal a fifth-hasty series from the topic ("each large event is located in the book of the books"). In addition, if the other sheets reported reservedly (focus) to spoettisch (mirrors) - each advertisement is good advertisement, and so the success of the work was not to be stopped any longer. Drosnin invited to the talc Show queen Oprah Winfrey, even the film rights for the "Bible code" are allegedly already sold. Drosnin appoints itself to investigations of the Israeli mathematician Elijahu Rips, which had already set up 1994 in the technical periodical Statistical Science the thesis, in the text of the old person of will is remarkably many words coded. The coding can be deciphered, if one writes the text sequentially, without word gaps and punctuation marks and then only each 2., 3. or also 1456. Letters selects. The type characters can be arranged then like a kind cross word mystery, in whose lines, columns or diagonals sometimes words are to be deciphered - "Apollo" and "spaceship", "Kobe" and "earthquake", "Kennedy" and "Dallas". The fact that in the 304,805 Hebrew characters Tora all future events should be actually predicted to that is nevertheless a thesis rather abstruse for western spirit. Drosnin supported the alleged seriosity of its statement particularly by three arguments: Rips ' work appeared in a respectable magazine (to it the publisher at that time of Statistical Science, Robert Kass: "we publish also amusing essays"). It picked out and in vain tried the murder of Rabin from the code to warn the prime minister. And finally it is extremely improbable to find in such a manner many fitting words coded like "Hitler" and "Nazi" in a text - in a place Drosnin numbers the chance on 1: 3000. It finally gave Newsweek to the magazine to minutes: "if my critics a coded message over the murder of a prime minister in the novel, Moby thick ' find, believe I to them." The Australian mathematician Brendan McKay made himself to the work and treated for English text of "Moby the thick" according to the same method, which had used Drosnin. It is to be noticed that there are in Hebrew no vowels. That means it that the syllables are ambiguous there and in addition the words more briefly - in this way the chances are to encounter meaningful codings much more largely than in English or German. Nevertheless McKay found several prophecies in Melvilles novel within short time directly: The murders at Indira Gandhi, Leo Trotzkij, Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy could obviously be picked out by skillful arrangement of the letters from the text. Also Rabins death and the tragic accident of lady Di announced themselves in the whale novel. Not without a portion of black humor McKay finally reveals the circumstances of dying author Michael Drosnin: In direct neighbourhood are the terms "MDrosnin", "nail", "killed". And the close standing word "liar" (liars) says us, what we have to hold from Drosnins work. To similar results as McKay comes David E. Thomas, a well-known Skeptiker, whose speciality is the refutation of UFO stories. For the expenditure for November of the magazine Skeptical Enquirer the Thomas's planned English King James version of the old person of will and encountered there after short search the place Roswell and the letters UFO - did the Bible of the landing of the extraterrestial ones thus already know in the year 1947? Next the physicist began with a systematic search for terms, parallel in the book genesis of the English Bible and in a decision of the highest Court of Justice of the USA. The surprising result not straight for rational spirit: In both texts short words can be found more frequent than for a long time, words with frequently occurring letters are also particularly frequently. Once in travel, also Thomas's knew many pairs of terms aufstoebern, into which Orakelsuechtige can in-interpret some: "comet", "resound", to "Bopp" and "died", "Los Alamos", "atom" and "bomb". "he found Hitler" together with "Nazi" equivalent by the dozen in several texts. Result of the two investigations: Who search, which will find with computer assistance in each text mysterious allusions, particularly on past events. Or, in Thomas's ' words: "the source, Bible code ' is revealed - it is the Homo sapiens." This exposure will make however fewer headlines than Drosnins book.

(CC) THE TIME 1997
I think the Bible Code is another marketing tool to earn publicy hearings and earn money...

M.,:D

Blutw÷lfin
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 02:01 PM
I by myself got quite amused about it. There's much room for interpretation, I guess, too, as Oskorei already said. Not just because there are some letters missing, but also because e.g. the example with the names of the Jewish Rabbis. For all of them, there are about minimum 3 different ways of writing their names, so it's probably not that difficult to read out their names in a Hebrew bible.

Furthermore, I guess it is possible to find out some hidden messages in almost all text containing more than about 50 sentences. If the text is long enough and you're looking after a code long enough, you'll find a lot of text.

By knowing things about the world today, you'll interpret some words and sentences in a special way. In a way, you maybe hadn't thought of one hundred years ago.

keltic_stijn
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 03:33 PM
I saw a documentary of it some two years ago. But since it has been some time I don't remember a lot of what was in it, one thing I remember was that their should be a very heavy earthquake in L.A. in 2008 or 2012... For the rest I thing it's just nonsens, like the bible can predict the future yea right, even the undecoded version is full of lies ... ;)