PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: Major Skadi Forum Rule Revision -- READ THIS

Thorburn
Friday, September 10th, 2004, 07:59 PM
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=2729

Nordgau
Saturday, September 11th, 2004, 12:58 AM
11. The general board language is English. Communications in languages other than English are only permitted in the appropriate language sections.

:thumbsup Des hert si recht gscheit o, tat I amoi sogn. Huat ab, Njördl.

But what about "Fransjozefish"? :D

Awar
Saturday, September 11th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Superishka!

Thorburn
Saturday, September 11th, 2004, 01:26 AM
:thumbsup Des hert si recht gscheit o, tat I amoi sogn. Huat ab, Njördl.

But what about "Fransjozefish"? :DYou might laugh, but I even typed it out when I compiled the rules. But then I removed it because it would have been puerile, albeit funny.

Maybe we can make it a footnote if there is popular demand. ;) :jk

Zyklop
Saturday, September 11th, 2004, 08:27 AM
11. The general board language is English. Communications in languages other than English are only permitted in the appropriate language sections.

Would this also apply to soap operas between members with the same native tongue?

Thorburn
Saturday, September 11th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Would this also apply to soap operas between members with the same native tongue? In general, yes.

It's just a Misdemeanor, however, so we are not going to be fascist :hitler about it if it's just an occasional sentence in Lowbrow sections. As you see, it just took Nordgau a few hours to break the rule. :D

If this becomes abusive, however, in particular if people use their native tongues in an effort to prevent rule enforcement, then we can simply dump all future comments based on this rule, even discipline them for it.

I have been quite sick about ongoing remarks in certain languages, which nobody on Staff understands, and all of the sudden someone replies in English that he is not going to react to the insults anymore. So go figure what has been said -- we have to go through the effort to ask non-Staff members to translate it, then judge the content. Unnecessary effort for them and us.

With this rule we can just dump it and discipline members merely for having used the language -- regardless if other rules have been broken or not, avoiding the effort of translations and that threads can be brought off-topic or the discussion climate can be polluted by remarks nobody understands.

Obviously, we don't want to be biased about it either and allow Dutch, Swedish, or Portuguese, because some people on Staff understand it, but not Slovenian or Greek, because nobody understands them. So it is in general really discouraged, and people can expect to be sanctioned for it, whenever it is deemed necessary.

Nobody will mind a few words, in particular if there are no terms in English to convey the same meaning precisely, but other than that it would be appreciated if people could use the rep point function, PMs or the appropriate language forums.

Frans_Jozef
Saturday, September 11th, 2004, 09:34 AM
You might laugh, but I even typed it out when I compiled the rules. But then I removed it because it would have been puerile, albeit funny.

Maybe we can make it a footnote if there is popular demand. ;) :jk

4. Vulgarity, bawdiness, drunkenness, lewdness, obscenity, profanity, curses, discourteous and ungentlemanly conduct towards female Members, disrespectful conduct towards edler Members, and other objectively unrefined conduct, even if only in retaliation, are not permitted.

Edler is an interesting neologism invented by Thorburn,inspired to bring the German and Anglo-Saxon peoples to greater rapproachment, mutual understanding and ventureful co-operation, with the Senior Staff Members as starting point, fawning sweet neat lies how advanced in mind and spirit and how naturally high-born they are(melting the idea of a spiritual gerontocracy with an ageless aristocracy); the new word was simply formed by mixing the German adverb "edel"(noble, precious) into "elder".
;)

Sorry, bit of a lame story, but I cant play up anything wittier. I got an inflammation of my stomach and bowels and it will take up days to recover; I'll leave the details out, but it cost me some effort to be here and fight the limpness off...

Zyklop
Saturday, September 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM
I´m just curious because the German section doesn´t allow Free-Speech, so if I, for example, would want to stir up trouble with Nordgau, I would have to use the rather soft and overblown English language instead of cutting and stabbing German words?

Dr. Solar Wolff
Friday, December 3rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
I´m just curious because the German section doesn´t allow Free-Speech, so if I, for example, would want to stir up trouble with Nordgau, I would have to use the rather soft and overblown English language instead of cutting and stabbing German words?

Why can't you just repeat the "cutting and stapping German words" in the Free Speech Section and allow non-German speakers to learn them.

Jack
Friday, December 3rd, 2004, 01:39 PM
Because I can only count from one to ten in German and French and do little more with either language, and I know a tiny amount of Indonesian, I approve of this rule as an English speaking colonial ;) :thumbup