PDA

View Full Version : Which Kingdom is Buckinghamshire In?

Iverson
Tuesday, November 29th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have been trying to work this one out for ages. Its either Mercia, Wessex, Or perhaps even Middlesex??

Its on the border so i imagine its jurisdiction changed with various invasions??

Linden
Tuesday, November 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Buckinghamshire (with the exception of the southernmost extremities of the county) lies within the borders of the ancient Kingdom of Mercia. The northern half of Buckinghamshire lies within ‘core’ Mercian territory (6th century). The southern half of the county became Mercian territory a century later.

Iverson
Wednesday, November 30th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Buckinghamshire (with the exception of the southernmost extremities of the county) lies within the borders of the ancient Kingdom of Mercia. The northern half of Buckinghamshire lies within ‘core’ Mercian territory (6th century). The southern half of the county became Mercian territory a century later.

What was the southern half before it was Mercia??

Also I am actually more interested in the southern part of the county.

Berrocscir
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM
It was pretty much always in Mercia.

Linden - I'd argue that the core Mercian territory was the Trent Valley, Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire/Northamtonshire with Bucks forming the South-Eastern extremity.

Iverson
Thursday, December 8th, 2011, 11:58 PM
It was pretty much always in Mercia.

Linden - I'd argue that the core Mercian territory was the Trent Valley, Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire/Northamtonshire with Bucks forming the South-Eastern extremity.

Id probably agree with that.