PDA

View Full Version : The Flame Devours Us

Haliaeetus
Monday, October 31st, 2011, 02:48 PM
I stumbled upon an interesting article while browsing the "Donauschwaben Villages Helping Hands (DVHH)". Its an excerpt from the diary of pastor Matthias Rometsch and it deals with the events preceding and during the evacuation of the German community here in my region.

Its an interesting read. I specialy found disturbing the part where he speaks of what the communists have done to several SS soldiers upon ambushing them:

Friday, September 8, 1944: I officiated at the burial of twelve members of the SS Police in Alt-Pasua who had lost their lives resulting from an ambush by Partisans beyond Vojka. Their corpses indicated that they had been gruesomely treated. Throats had been slit, the bodies had been scalded with boiling hot water, eyes had been gouged out, ears and noses were cut off, their sexual organs were also cut off and there were countless knife and stab wounds covering their bodies. They were without clothes. There was also a man named Fink from Neu-Pasua was among them and had lived on Weber Street who we buried later here at home. The General is in Weisskirchen. On his return he will report on the seriousness of the situation. The Russians are moving on Orschawa and the pass to the north and are attempting to reach the Great Hungarian Plains around Temesvr.

Here is the link to the entire article: http://www.dvhh.org/syrmia/memoirs/rometsch_diary.htm