PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Favourite European Country?

Hesse
Thursday, June 2nd, 2011, 02:43 AM
Which European country do you admire the most? You don't have to tell us why, but it would be helpful.

Please pick no more than two. If you clearly have a number one favourite above all else, only choose that one, but if you have two equal favourites, feel free to tick them both.

I'll start with my favourite as Germany, for she gave me more blood than any other nation.

Plantagenet
Thursday, June 2nd, 2011, 03:48 AM
I think it's apparent that I will have to go with the countries from whence my blood is drawn and to whom I owe my existence--England and Germany. Not only for the case of ancestry, but I also I find I admire these two nations and their histories the most of all European people. It may be because it is in my blood, but when I see English or German faces, see English or German landscapes, see English or German architecture, or hear the English or German languages there is a deep recognition in my heart that these two people are my people, a sort of primeval connection embedded in my consciousness.

The sons of these two nations of whom I bear a great admiration are too numerous to name, but for example Shakespeare, Dickens, and Tolkien are among my favorite in all of literature and have had a great impact on my life. William Blake is among my favorite poets, and Hans Holbein is one of my favorite painters. Two men I view as among the greatest geniuses in the history of man, Sir Isaac Newton and Gottfriend Leibniz, were English and German respectively. Schopenhauer and the medieval German mystics (Meister Eckhart especially) have had great influence on my thought. The fathers of my nation were Anglo-Saxon men who valued freedom and liberty, fought and died for that freedom, and codified such liberties in my nation's constitution.

Music is the most important thing in my life. My favorite human being to ever grace the earth, J.S Bach, and by extension my favorite composer of music, is German. Of course I also love Wagner, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Purcell, Dowland, Froberger, Buxtehude, William Byrd, Thomas Tallis, John Taverner, John Dunstable, Oswald von Wolkenstein, Telemann, and Leonel Power. Most of the modern music I love comes from England, especially Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Led Zeppelin. If my life were devoid of such rich music, I am not sure it would be worth living.

I feel that both of these nations have a mighty history, perhaps unrivaled by any group of people on the planet. I also feel that these two nations have contributed more to the advancement of humanity than nearly any other group on the planet. Without them I don't think the West would have been as great as it was, and without them I would not exist. For these reasons I must choose England and Germany above all others. May providence guide them safely into the future and may they prosper once again along with the rest of the European people.

http://www.waynesmith.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/englandvgermany-pin.jpg

Angus
Thursday, June 2nd, 2011, 03:59 AM
Scotland. Obviously ;).

Whats not to love? Rich and interesting culture / history, ancient castles, beautiful lochs, rugged charm, need i continue?
http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.2549175.3.flat,550x550,075,f.kilchu m-castle-and-loch-awe-argyllshire-scottish-highlands.jpg

Feverfew
Thursday, June 2nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
I voted England and Ireland.

England is obvious. I love this country. I primarily identify as English. I was born here, and lived here for most of my life. The rich diversity of the English land and people has nourished me.

I love the folk of the north, of Yorkshire and Lancashire, where I lived for nearly half of my life, and my father still lives. I love the hills, moors, dales, rivers and woodlands. I love the wetlands, the beaches, fields and villages. I love the cities, full of history and industry, where people created the success of the English land. I love the people, who are open, friendly, and tell it like it is.

I love East Anglia, where I was born and where I now live. I love the flat fenlands, the broads, the agricultural lands where I live now. I love the old ways of life, the elders with their cheeks ruddy from a lifetime on the land. I love the history of this land, the mythology, the buildings, the water meadows, the Suffolk Punch horse and Red Poll Cattle.

I love Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. Rich land, ancient villages, seat of great learning. I love that I look at the land and I can see my ancestors working in the fields, tilling the soil. I love Oxford, city where I spent much time roaming the streets, the colleges and the secret green spaces when I was a teenager. I love the bookshops, the little pubs, the churches, the ancient rituals.

I love Sussex and Kent, land of my father's people. My sister lives there still, as do my uncles. I love the fact that I can trace back hundreds of years of my ancestors in the little villages and churchyards. Most of them were farm workers, simple people who worked hard for their living. It's beautiful there, but I wish normal people like me could afford to live in those villages now and live off the land like my ancestors did. It's been taken over by the rich who have second homes there, and who work in London.

Although I am Scottish, and that land would be my third choice, I have only lived there for a year in my life, so I don't know it as well as my second choice.

Ireland however I lived in from the age of 5 til 10. It's where I first learned about the importance of identity, and belonging to a people. It's where I first encountered wild spaces, soggy peat bogs, moorland, lakes, rivers, cows on the beach, ancient trees, the Atlantic ocean, huge cliffs, the Giants' Causeway, the greenest of green fields. In those days children were still given freedom, not like it is in England now. I spent hours alone, away from home, roaming streets, in fields, running across moorland, chasing sheep, climbing hills, splashing in the ocean and loughs, making hides, making friends with trees, and meeting Irish people. The Irish people love children and spoil them.

Sorry, if I've gone on a bit. :P

Goomer
Thursday, June 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Probably Norway. Spent the most time there. Clean, somewhat roomy, nice Northern Latitude....lots a nice-looking men.....I could live there if I could learn the language.

I always thought it was really hard to Emigrate to Europe as a permanent residence, however.

Aren't their immigration laws more strict than say....the US? This is stuff I don't know.

Other cool countries are The Netherlands....and Germany. In 1999, on my father's birthday.....my brother and I had drinks at a pub my father used to frequent back when he was stationed in Germany during the time of the Korean War. It was a pub in Heidelberg that had been there since the 1700s!

In America....it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find places that have been standing since the 1700s......

Oh yea...meant to say....living in Norway....I'd be guaranteed to have a blast on my birthday every year!! My birthday is their Independence Day.....May 17! Yay!

Hersir
Thursday, June 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Outside of Norway, Iceland and Sweden are my favorite countries.

We share a long history and kinship. Norway and Iceland were really tight before, it's sad that we lost the bond...

Juthunge
Thursday, June 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
One of the two is Germany, out of obvious reasons.

The country I admire second most, if counting Austria to Germany which I do and to which it belonged for most of its history, would be England.
For some reason I feel quite close to the English and their history and culture always fascinated me.

BritishLad
Sunday, October 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM
As a patriot, the UK obviously! :D

though i think Germany an the Scandinavian countries look very beautiful, so you could call them me second, third, fourth an fifth fav European countries (in no particular order though)!

maybe ancestry makes me biased! :D

bæny
Sunday, October 16th, 2011, 09:17 PM
1) England
2) Flanders (it's not a country but oh well)
3) The Netherlands
= Germany
= (Austria and all other German speaking countries/areas)
4) Sweden
= Denmark
= Norway
5) Iceland

Sigurd
Sunday, October 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Being diplomatic, I picked all Germanic countries. If you went into the details it's pretty obvious that my heart lies back home in my mountains with the extension of the other German lands. Honourable mention would always have to go of course to especially Scotland for living for such a long time there, it never fully leaves you. :)

But honestly - I feel comfortable enough in all Germanic countries I've been so far. That being: Austria (+South Tyrol, of course!), Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Germany, Netherlands, England and Scotland. I haven't so far been to any of the Scandinavian countries nor Luxembourg, but since I've traditionally gotten on fine with people who hailed from there, I assume I'd do fine spending some weeks there on a visit. :thumbup

Mvix
Sunday, October 16th, 2011, 10:29 PM
1) Norway
2) Denmark

They are the only European counties I've been to but of those two Norway is first because I felt more at home there. The land of my forefathers.
http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/Friendship-Pins/Norway/Flag-Pins-Norway-Iceland.jpg

Hamar Fox
Sunday, October 16th, 2011, 10:31 PM
It looks like I'm the only one who voted for my favourite country :(

That one comes first, and England second, but third has to be Switzerland. It really was the most beautiful place I've been.