PDA

View Full Version : DDoS Attack

Thorburn
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Skadi Forum was subjected to a distributed denial of service attack over the last hours.

Things seem to have normalized by now. Let's hope it remains that way.

Witta
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Probably those wacky israelies.

Thorolf
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010, 10:41 PM
well its good we are back up and running, i wondered what had happened. Hopefully the hackers get hit by a bus or something.

GroeneWolf
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Where was the attack coming form?

Hamrammr
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Probably those wacky israelies.

well its good we are back up and running, i wondered what had happened. Hopefully the hackers get hit by a bus or something.

Hopefully they'll get hit by a suicide bomber...;)

The Aesthete
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010, 12:13 PM
The attack on skadi forum yesterday was an attack on freedom of speech itself, not to mention illegal. They have only made us stronger :)

Thusnelda
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I don´t know if it has anything to do with it but the largest German blog, "Politically Incorrect", suffers on steady DDoS attacks only recently. Right now it´s down again, but when it´s online again you can find a news entry of yesterday about the DDoS attacks.

http://www.pi-news.net/

If there´s the possibility to secure our Skadi server even more we could start a new donation action.

Gerhardt Maritz
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Exactly so !
I would like to donate money to the forum but I am experiencing a problem to get into doing so.
Could somebody please advise as to what I should do?

wittwer
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM
According to the National Computing Center at the U of I, Chambana, at present the only thing that can be done, is to follow "R.U.N.S.A.F.E." guidelines to try and control Distributed Denial of Service Attacks.

Furthermore, according to the Center, certain industry wide actions and national and international legal actions need to be taken to solve the problem, such as:

1. requirements for industry to create computer/software products that are not vulnerable to compromise

2. create computer/software products that are not vulnerable to attack

3. manage to control the unrestricted freedom of movement in the Internet

4. eliminating the jerks doing the attacks.

Then there is the issue of National Cyberwarfare being waged on a daily basis by various governments, which have released numerous attack viruses into the wild waiting to be activated or are currently active.

According to the Center, it is attacked by at least 10,000 attempts a day to either compromise its systems or hack into assorted "secret" files.

Thorburn
Monday, August 30th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Exactly so !
I would like to donate money to the forum but I am experiencing a problem to get into doing so.
Could somebody please advise as to what I should do?Click! (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=28234) :fwink:

Godwinson
Thursday, September 23rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Did we have another attack earlier today?

I couldn't access the forum for several hours - was it just me :confused

velvet
Thursday, September 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I had no access either....

wittwer
Thursday, September 23rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Looks like the outage was world wide. I couldn't gain access either. The site was down for some reason. Either an attack, equipment failure or maintenance and repairs. Welcome to the wonderful world of computers!

Aeternitas
Thursday, September 23rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
There was no attack this time. :) Just a power outage.

Forseti
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Were we under attack just now? I was unable to reach Skadi for approximately 10 minutes about half an hour ago...

Fyrgenholt
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Were we under attack just now? I was unable to reach Skadi for approximately 10 minutes about half an hour ago...

I had this problem, too.

Thorburn
Tuesday, October 5th, 2010, 05:39 AM

I had this problem, too.This was probably just the backup.

For the forum backup, the database has to be locked for a couple of minutes. While it is locked, one cannot access the forum. I now added a brief info page which informs members that the backup is running. The backup currently starts at 11:00 p.m. EDT/5:00 a.m. CEST because the forum activity is rather low at this time and should normally last no longer than 6 to 7 minutes.

I'll make the page prettier when I've got a bit more time... we once had a pretty cool page with "Oops! You broke the forum!" and some funny smilies, but I can't find it anymore. :(

Thorburn
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I'll make the page prettier when I've got a bit more time... we once had a pretty cool page with "Oops! You broke the forum!" and some funny smilies, but I can't find it anymore. :( Found it. :P

It's actually a custom template for vBulletin's mySQL error page, but it can be used for the backup as well. :)

Ewergrin
Monday, October 18th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Thorburn, you are as always, magnanimous in victory. :thumbup