PDA

View Full Version : Is New Pseudo-Scientific Creationist-Christian Thought Anti-Academic?

Ediruc
Saturday, May 15th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Well, folks, is it? After having heard just about enough of this pseudo scientific mumbo-jumbo logic and un-founded facts spewed out from the mouths of New Earth Creationists, I just have to wonder and ask, is this new stream of thought anti-academic?

(Move this thread if not in appropriate discussion section.)

Zimobog
Sunday, May 16th, 2010, 09:10 AM
When one is making a claim (as both the Christian Creationists and the atheists are) of fact, the burden of proof falls on the person making the claim. If someone can't produce any facts (proving the existence of or the non-existence of something), than it is a "belief" they have and not a fact. There is nothing wrong with having beliefs (we all do) but it isn't the same as "facts".

From what I have heard from the Creationists, they have their set of "facts" and as such I think it amounts to censorship and bigotry to try and silence them simply because they might annoy.

Academia tries to become it's own "faith" and gets angry when anyone has a different idea, whether political or scientific. Look at it this way: Academia has unsuccessfully challenged every idea it now accepts as fact. They are as dogmatic as the Christians, and so are many atheists.

I say let the chips fall where they may. Let everyone have their own ideas.

Dirigible
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Absolutely. The theory of evolution is just about the strongest scientific theory that has ever existed. It has no real competition whatever in explaining biodiversity. People are welcome to disbelieve it, but to do so, they have to acknowledge that they are denying the most basic principles of scientific inquiry. Anything else is simply dishonest.

One might claim that one can deny scientific principles and still be academic, but I disagree. What is academics, but the development and communication of good ideas? And what is the denial of science, but the denial of the possibility of discerning a good idea from a bad one through investigation?

VitkiValkyrie
Saturday, September 11th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Science has fallen victim to political correctness. Findings that threaten the status quo are simply not published, and funding is witheld from free thinkers. Until logic and facts are freed from sociopolitical censorship, humanity cannot progress much.

wittwer
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010, 07:58 PM
It's called the "Scopes Monkey Trial" ( a US court trial). Scopes was a Science Teacher in Small Town High School in the "Bible Belt" and State Law did not allow for the teaching of Evolution in the Science Classroom. He decided that his students needed a grounding in this basic of Biology. So he taught Evolution, was arrested, jailed, tried, convicted and sentenced in the local Courts. It was quite a show trial at the time. It had William Jennings Bryan for the Prosecution (the Bible thumping Creationist) Clarence Darrow defending Scopes and Science. Needless to say, the Law is the Law, and Scopes was found guilty of violating State Statute and fined a nominal amount. Scopes, was forced to quit his job as a Teacher because he had violated the moral clauses of his Teaching Contract and could no longer be trusted with young minds. So he moved to Illinois, enrolled in the University of Illinois and took an advanced degree in Science.

The problem between the "Bible Thumpers" and Science rests on the priniciples of Hermenuetics ( process of interpretation) these people use a literal approach to interpreting the Bible, "God created the World and all that is in it in seven days". Since it's in the Bible it is true. All other interpretations are by necessity false and heretical. See the issue?

Btw, After the Trial, the State in question, changed it's Statutes regarding the teaching of Evolution after it discovered it had become the laughing stock of the Nation and it's students couldn't get accepted into the Top National Universities.

Just one more quick comment, "I ain't no Ape and I ain't descended from no Ape! My kin were born just as we are now at the begining of Creation!" ;)