View Full Version : Turkey May Not Want to Be EU Member

Out of Germania
Friday, October 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Turkey may refuse EU membership in future, Turkish President Abdullah Gul said at a news conference held during his visit to France, the Turkish IHLAS news agency reported.

"Maybe, in future Turkey will not have willingness to be EU member. Perhaps, it will follow Norway's example," Gul said.

The EU-Turkey relations and cooperation began with signing of the treaty in Ankara in 1964. Despite EU-Turkey relations were cool after signing the treaty, the contract maintained its status.

Today's rapprochement between Turkey and the EU is appreciated as a historic chance.

During discussion on Norway's joining the EU, citizens of this country opposed joining this organization.

As a result, despite the fact that Norway complies with European standards, it refused from EU membership.

Friday, October 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I am quite relieved that the Turkish President wants to stay out of the EU.
I have never considered Turkey part of europe. :thumbdown

Friday, October 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I am quite relieved that the Turkish President wants to stay out of the EU.
I have never considered Turkey part of europe. :thumbdown

Western Anatolia is part of Europe, as well as the occupied regions in the Balkans. The rest, however, is not related to us very much. I think Turkey should give what they owe back to Greece and stay in Asia if they want to say the Ottoman Empire is dead. We did it for everyone.

Friday, October 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I am against the European Union. However, this is a positive step as far as I am concerned.

Opposing the E.U. can only be easier without thousands of Turks pouring into our nations.

Friday, October 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Smart move from Gül. Maybe the smartest.
Being a member of the EU means to give away a big part of the nation's governmental power to some very intransparent government in Brüssel/Straßbourg - plus the membership costs. :|

I wished Germany would end its membership.

Saturday, October 10th, 2009, 11:28 AM
His words mean nothing, it´s only an attempt to increase the pressure on the EU. :| Turkey wants to join the EU by all circumstances, it means huge subventions and free choice of location for all Turkish people. It´ll lead, ultimately, to a Turkish storm over Europe and our countries.:thumbdown

Tuesday, October 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I do not believe one word of it. Most likely he is saying this to get more concessions form EU and US politicians who are hellbent to make Turkey join the EU.

Peoples Observer
Wednesday, October 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Reasons that Turkey does not belong in the E.U. :

1. They are not in Europe.

2. They are not White Euroipids.

3. They are a Muslim nation.

4. They have allegiance to Arab nations, Iran and Pakastan.

5. They have a penchant for drug-dealing and sexual assualt of Christian women.

6. They are only seeking to over-populate Western Europe so that they can reap its financial benefits.

Turks stay in Asia where you belong ! :thumbup