View Full Version : Which (Germanic?) Virtues Are Most Important to You?

Friday, September 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
The title pretty much says it: Which abstract ethic or personal values matter most to you as a person? Which characteristics do you respect most in a friend/comrade/partner? Also, which virtues do you find to be appropiate as a base of a healthy society?

Friday, September 18th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Truth. Liars, for any reason, are undesirable, you never know whether they are saying the truth or lying, and thus you cannot rely on them. Being able to rely on each other is, IMO, necessary for a healthy folk collective.

No one can say the whole truth at all times, but in such occasions it is always better to diplomatically leave out parts of the truth than to construct a reality that is not. The left out parts of the truth can be gathered from elsewhere or revealed at a later stage, whilst an outright lie is deceptive and might create uncomfortable situations without any actual cause. :)

Monday, September 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Ik think my values are: working hard, being valiant, honest, being tougher on yourself than on others, high principals and a well balanced, creative and critical mind are values all Germanic peoples can relate to.

Monday, September 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Family loyalty, honor, hospitality,courage.

Monday, September 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
Family loyalty, honor, hospitality,courage.

How could I forget...Family loyalty. Well said. It takes a woman to get the full picture!

Monday, September 21st, 2009, 03:48 PM
Truth, honor, courage, self-reliance, discipline

Monday, September 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for your replies. The virtues I strive most for would probably be: Truth, justice, wisdom, loyality, courage and moderation. I feel that the value of moderation is often overlooked: There are few characteristics I despise more in a person than greed.

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hard work, liberty, honesty, morals, and bravery.

Saturday, September 26th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Honesty and self-discipline

Saturday, September 26th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Courage, honesty, discipline, high standards and self-sacrifice. All other virtues originate within these IMO.

Monday, September 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Deep rooted honor for our blood, people and destiny.

The instinctive overpowering will to overcome all forms of adversity.

The implicit faith we can place in one another.

The ability to recognize and honer excellence.

The rage induced in us because of any injustice.

The ingrained refusal to be anything but our own masters.

The selflessness of placing Folk above self.

The interconnected nature of Germanic thought and feeling.

The manner in which we inspire one another to ever greater heights.

The extreme fervor with which we protect all we hold sacred.

The readiness with which we lay down our lives for our kinsfolk.

The solid reasoning required to look beyond the effects and identify the source.

The readiness that we have to allow nature to determine the eb and flow of the civilizations.

The willingness with which we seek to remove the blight from our great Folk.

Our resoluteness under duress.

Indomitable nature of our spirit.

Dissipline in the mundane.

Some might seem somewhat idealistic to some, fundamentalist to others. either way these are a few of which I hold dear and find indispensable for a healthy Germanic society.

Tuesday, September 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I think all the virtues pretty much boil down to this: working for the sake of the whole. Consideration for others, doing what is good for society and the world rather than a self centered view of the world. When you think of it all the virtues are basically saying this. When we do what is good for our society and for our families etc. we also help ourselves because we are a part of that whole. I always think of it like this you can live like a bunch of apes fighting each other over a coconut or a bunch of rats biting and clawing each other to get ahead or you can live like a bee hive or something that is coordiinated and considerate of the needs of the entire group.

Tuesday, September 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
If I may add something to this,

On the question of what do I think the most important virtues are in a friendship then I would say Honesty, Loyalty, Trust & Comradeship. I think a friendship must contain these vital elements if it is to last and be true! If you take away any of these elements in my opinion you are left with not a true friend but someone who will act only in their own interests or a fair weather friend!

A relationship is pretty much the same, and must be built on Honesty, 'Family' Loyalty, Trust and Love. Other just as important virtues to myself in a relationship is Intelligence and Compassion.

I would stop short at saying these are purely Germanic virtues, but I find it is more prolific within us!

Honour, Loyalty, Comeradeship... these are my core values! :)

Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I think there is a lot of truth in the saying "my honour is my loyalty".

Thursday, October 1st, 2009, 01:42 AM
Truth, honesty, loyalty and consistency with goals.

I don't like twofaced pricks who are nice to you in appearance but talk shit behind your back. :thumbdown

Thursday, October 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
I think it was Steven McNallen who wrote an article about "drengskepr" or something like that. Essentially this is about the brutal honesty found in Germanic warrior culture. It shows an interest in the group rather than self and trustworthiness, loyalty etc. Basically when a warrior band must act as one cohesive unit there must be no dishonesty. So even if you say something unpleasant or disagreeable it is good. Its like if you walk around all day with a booger hanging out of your nose a true friend will tell you about it. A fake friend will smile and tell you that you look great. That is because the fake friend is weak and looking out for themselves. It is also a person that cares more about apearances than inner virtue. This is a symptom of Christian values and modern cultural ethic.

"My honor is my loyalty" brings up another topic that is interesting. If you come from a folk that is dishonorable should you stand by them out of loyalty or work for what is honorable? If your brother is theif do you hide him from the police out of loyalty or turn him in out of a sense of honor? This is a tough question. It came to my mind when I was watching some multicultural tyra banks propaganda or something. There was a Native American on there who was racist. She said her own people were lazy and blamed their failures on whites etc. and was basically like a white supremacist (she was half white). Other Indians were brought out and said "even if this is true what would your grandparents think of your actions? You should honor your ancestors and your people". I thought that is exactly what we would say as Asatruar. So where does the answer lie?

My conclusion was that honor should come before loyalty. Or actually loyalty is to be honorable. The best thing you can do for your own family and people is hold them responsible and hold them to standards. You don't want your own people to be a bunch of selfish retarded pieces of crap so you should point out their failures and hold them responsible within reason.

Thursday, October 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM
Bravery ,Loyalty to ones volk,self sufficiency ,creativity and independence,The love of adventure and exploration

Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
The strive for greatness and ascension in every aspect.
To shed the shackels that tear us down and to rise up to the Sun / Sky.
And to sacrifice burdens that prevent us from progress.

Ralf Rossa
Thursday, April 29th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Its so nice getting on a train in Germany without feeling like you need to be decontaminated afterwards.
You never see people spitting on the floor of the bus like you see certain non-Germanic cultures doing in England.

Sunday, October 31st, 2010, 11:00 PM
Loyalty to family and folk.
Love for freedom.
Courage to defend your convictions, even unpopular ones.
Honor as ability to not degrade yourself to certain things.
Charity and generosity to your own.

They are all Christian values, by the way.

Monday, November 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM
in no order...

Family - Honesty - Empathy - Understanding - Honour - Duty - Compassion - Fidelity - Bravery - Fairness - Sincerity - Tradition - Industrious - Hygienic -

the list could go on...

Adalheid Friunt
Monday, November 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM
Honor (a.k.a.: integrity, dignity). All other worthwhile values flow from this one and cannot exist without it.

Monday, November 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
As for myself it's simple:

1. Wisdom
2. Courage
3. Temperance
4. Justice

All other aspects follow.

Monday, November 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
Wisdom and honour, both of which being things I strive for and from which I understand most other values stem from.

Monday, November 1st, 2010, 09:45 PM
Fierce patriotism

Exercising your right to freedom of speech without caring whether others agree or you get told of for it

Loyalty to family, friends and race

Loyalty to the ruling power (my alleigence is to the Sovereign, not the politicians).