PDA

View Full Version : Do Your Pets Sleep in Bed?

Siebenbürgerin
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Do you let your pets sleep in the bed (with or without you) or do you think it's a dirty thing? I sometimes let my Rottweilers sleep in my bed, but not if I am sleeping beside my boyfriend. :tired2:

Cuchulain
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
My dog sleeps in the bed.

CrystalRose
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
My two cats are indoor so I allow them to sleep on the bed. And my dog can sleep on my bed after he's had a bath.

ChaosLord
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
My ferrets sleep on a bed, but not my bed.

Crimson Guard
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words..

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1383/chucky2tc1.jpg

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
I was about to say just that... :P

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9187/2622118600pf1.jpg

ÆinvargR
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
I've tried because my cat's cosy when he's tired, but he always wakes himself and me up after a few hours. Fortunately I have a door between the hall & bathroom and the rest of this tiny apartment, so I can lock him out of my world when I sleep or am sick of him, and he has everything he needs there.

Gorm the Old
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Not when I'm in it. She'd be welcome to, but, instead she circles me a few times, stomps all over me, and then jumps down onto the floor and goes downstairs to sleep on the love seat .

All day long, however, when I'm not using the bed, she's right there, sleeping in the exact centre of it until I want to take a nap. Then she circumambulates me 2 or 3 times. traverses me from west to east, and then goes downstairs.

mischak
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Yes.. my cats sleep with me usually, and when I lived at home with my mom I would let the dog sleep on my bed when she wanted.

SwordOfTheVistula
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
My family's cats are not allowed on the furniture and have to be put outside or in the basement at night. When I worked night shift, sometimes the cat would sleep on my bed when I slept during the day, same for when I visit parents sometimes and sleep during the day.

Oski
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
My snakes sleep in their aquariums.

My monitor lizard would bite my scrotum off :D:P

Thusnelda
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Yes, my damn lazy cat sleeps in my bed - no matter if I´m in it or not! :D :o It happens that I go to bed and fall asleep while my cat comes two hours later, opens the door and jumps right on me to fall asleep as well.

The only exclusion is the time when she loses the coat before summer/before winter. This few weeks I don´t allow my cat to sleep in my bed because of the falling off hairs.

Heiliger Tod
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
One of my cats sleeps on my bed sometimes but he normally demands fuss at first and occaisionally he gets under the covers.

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
(Concerning your reputation points)

My cat is not fat! :mad: It's the camera adds a few kilos :D

Allenson
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
LOL. ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2327036500_062c72b331.jpg

The dog gets to as well...I just don't have a picture of her on the bed...

Oh wait, here's one of her in the bed of a cabin we rented last year:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/493597927_214da1a7d2.jpg

mischak
Thursday, July 24th, 2008, 02:02 AM
This thread makes me happy that a lot of the people here really seem to like their pets. I usually don't trust people who have something against animals.

Mrs. Lyfing
Thursday, July 24th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Before I moved here, I had 2 cats. They loved to sleep in our bed. The one, Big Momma, she demanded to be on the bed. At times if we didn't want her on, we would have to push her off hundreds of times before she would give up...ahhh. :(

CrystalRose
Thursday, July 24th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Dedicated.. didn't wanna give up that bed! Must have been sore from working those little muscles, up and down.

Thusnelda
Thursday, July 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM
(Concerning your reputation points)

My cat is not fat! :mad: It's the camera adds a few kilos :D
No, of course she isn´t! :D

http://www.pantherkut.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/fat_cat_4.jpg

This cat isn´t fat, too. Just...well-nourished! :p ;) (It´s not mine)

arthor
Friday, July 25th, 2008, 11:21 AM
cyfarchion

no chance at all. It is a pack leader thing. I am pack leader so I sleep where I want and she (the dog) sleeps where she's told.
Animals need consistency and sometimes on the bed and sometimes not is inconsistent and confusing for the dog.

wasshael

Maelstrom
Friday, July 25th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the pet sharing the bed... :confused:

Bärin
Friday, July 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
LOL same here. My baby (a huge Great Dane) gets to sleep in bed when he wants to, but he is very big so he takes up a lot of space. :D I still love him and spoil him anyway. :tired2:

Angharad
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM
My cat usually won't sleep in bed with me. I guess I move around too much for her, she gets mad if I wake her up. If she does sleep on the bottom corner she jumps off as soon as I move, I guess she doesn't want to get kicked in her flat little face.

Sometimes she'll try to wake me up in the morning so she can get her breakfast. I've actually had her tap me on the shoulder, which is preferable to having her stand on my chest and meow in my face.

My cat is a spoiled brat princess.

Oswiu
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 01:46 AM
My Jack Russell always does. Keeps my feet warm! :) Sometimes she makes it hard to get up in the morning though, as she nestles on top of the quilt between my knees when I'm on my front, and I'm as good as pinned to the bed!

When I had cats they would as well. I can't imagine anything more natural.

Hermelin
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Not in, but on my bed :). I like my cat to sleep on my bed, it helps me relax and fall asleep :).

Fortis_in_Arduis
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
When I visit friends in the midlands I borrow their bull terrier Max for bed-company. Max and I are like lovers! :-O :D

No really. There is a lot of love between us and he is very empathetic towards me. I love him so much. When he sings (Staffies often do this) he sings about my broken heart because he feels my pain and it means so much to me.

Sigurd
Thursday, November 20th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Our family dog is more traditional. He even prefers the exterior for the interior when it comes to sleeping. ;)

I do not allow the dog to sleep in bed alongside me when I'm home - because quite frankly, there would not be enough space. I've been having tremendous trouble housing a second human being in that same single bed in the past, so if even a petite lassie has trouble fitting in, I wager it's close to impossible for a huge (in terms of height, not weight, LOL!) Bernese Mountain Dog to fit in there besides me.

Otherwise, chances are anyway that he'd leave too soon, if he is not pushed out. Vindicative as I have been known to be of the bed when it was shared by another human being, I'm one of those subconsciously evil men who take 98% of the bed and 99.7% of the duvet cover for their own ends when it is supposed to be shared between two people. :hide

The Horned God
Thursday, November 20th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I don't have a pet, but my parents dog seems to regard me as his master, when I'm home and sleeps on the floor of my bedroom. He's a Labrador-Alsatian cross so it'd be a bit weird having something that size next to me in the bed anyway.

Oswiu
Thursday, November 20th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I wonder if there's a market out there for making and selling huge beds as 'Dog and Man' or 'Dog and Couple' beds? :P

Leof
Thursday, November 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Yes. All my pets have their own bed. They are all in a row next to my bed from smallest to largest. At sunrise we sit at proportionately corresponding tables and eat bacon and eggs and then it's off to work.

lioness
Thursday, November 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM
All three my cats sleep on my bed with me.

Hersir
Thursday, November 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I allow my cat to do it, but not my dog.

Arundel
Friday, November 21st, 2008, 03:01 AM
Not when I'm in it. She'd be welcome to, but, instead she circles me a few times, stomps all over me, and then jumps down onto the floor and goes downstairs to sleep on the love seat .

All day long, however, when I'm not using the bed, she's right there, sleeping in the exact centre of it until I want to take a nap. Then she circumambulates me 2 or 3 times. traverses me from west to east, and then goes downstairs.
I have three cats, but one a little girl calico sleeps with me every night. When one of the other cats, Thomas, comes in and gets on the bed, she gets upset, she doesn't want him in there. So she either leaves, or runs him off. I have learned through the years that cats can be very jealous. I adopted all three cats from a humane society, but not at the same time. They are great cats. Once I thought I would get a pure blood siamese cat. Sheba was very beautiful but never wanted to have anything to do with me, she was very aloof. I hardly knew I had her. So much for pure breds.

Puppybears
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
My two dogs are still puppies (7 and 5 months) and so I don't think they would stay in one place long enough on the bed for me to get some sleep! Plus, I don't know how my husband would feel about it. Perhaps when they are older... they each have their own beds in our laundry room for now.
ALSO: I wouldn't want them to make any "accidents" in our bed! I can just pop their little beds into the washer, but our bed would be a hassle to clean.

Aptrgangr
Wednesday, December 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Daisy allows her pet to sleep in the bed.

http://i43.tinypic.com/xcryn5.jpg

...not all aristocats are this generous.

http://i42.tinypic.com/29lkcur.jpg

NatRev
Saturday, December 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
My boy cat always sleeps in my office. I have an old black laundry basket that he loved so much I gave it to him, it's full of old jumpers and a dressing gown so it's pretty snug and cozy for him. :D

The girl cats either sleep together in a 'nest' of throws and cushions that I make for them, (they're sisters) or sometimes sleep with us.

Boy cat just climbs onto the bed at about 5am, meows a lot, wakes me up, gets fussed for a bit and then runs off. The girls just sneak in under the duvet...

hey Aptrgangr, that black and white cat in your pic, that's exactly how one of mine looks... ha ha... she's the stealthy one that'll climb in under the duvet...

the other two look just like this cutey to the left! ;)

Heinrich Harrer
Saturday, December 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM
When my cat still lived, she sometimes jumped on the bed cover and slept beside my feet. :)

Fond memories, cats are graceful animals.

NatRev
Saturday, December 4th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Heinrich Harrer, all animals have a sense of beauty and divinity that I feel we Humans have some how lost.

I am sorry to hear of your cats passing, but please remember all the love and light she brought to your life.

Forest_Dweller
Saturday, December 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM
cyfarchion

no chance at all. It is a pack leader thing. I am pack leader so I sleep where I want and she (the dog) sleeps where she's told.
Animals need consistency and sometimes on the bed and sometimes not is inconsistent and confusing for the dog.

wasshael

I don't think where they sleep matters too much when it comes to pack leadership. My dogs very obediant, only comes in this house after me when I take it for a walk, stays when I tell it to stay etc. I think the reason why dogs sleep at the bottom of the bed is because they know their place, you shouldn't let a dog sleep at the top of the bed. My dogs only a small cross bred Jack Russel though so maybe its different with other breeds of dog. I don't think I'd be able to sleep with a Husky on my bed.

Heinrich Harrer
Saturday, December 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I am sorry to hear of your cats passing, but please remember all the love and light she brought to your life.

It's okay, it already happened 5-6 years ago (she caught the FIP virus :~() - time flies by.

I basically grew up with her, the memories will always stay with me.

Sciuirse Morrigna
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Yes, my dogs sleep in bed with me.

Never had any problem about it from other people either.

Wulfram
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I have a German Shepherd, a Pit Bull, and a Pyrenees/Lab mix.
Combined they weigh just over a couple hundred pounds. They actually prefer the outdoors but whenever it gets brutally hot they come inside.
Only my Pit sleeps on the bed, however. Her fur isn't as thick so I always bring her in during the coldest weather.
Some dogs just seem to know that a bed is the most comfortable place. While she was still a puppy I walked into the bedroom one day and there she was, asleep.

Hamar Fox
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
My male cat likes a cuddle under my covers, especially when it's cold. He rarely stays more than fifteen minutes though. He actually gets quite impatient with me if I don't let him under the covers. He scratches the covers until I finally concede. If he sleeps on my bed, he usually lies across the top of my head on the pillow (usually when my hair hasn't been cut for a while and is thick). I love it, but sometimes he ends up claiming the whole pillow for himself, and I end up having to roll over to the other side of the bed.

My female cat has her own blanket on the other side of my double bed, and she stays there as long as I seem awake. As soon as I turn the lights out, though, she leaves.

Țoreiđar
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 09:08 AM
It depends on the cat that want to sleep there. My younger cat is quite obsessed with staying clean and get to sleep in my bed whenever she wants to, but my elder cat has become too old to both reach all those tricky spots and to bother having a head-to-toe wash every time he's gotten dirty. Not much of a problem though, as he have never tried to jump up in my bed.

I've never had a dog myself, but I can't imagine ever allowing one in my bed.

flâneur
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
My dog sleeps on the be when he sneaks in the bedroom when im away...and also he sleeps on my clothes.
I think its because he wants to smell me in some way,maybe im wrong.

He also sits next to me in the car and when im eating in the hope of a titbit....yet when i want to go out on a long walk the lazy bugger cannot be found...he seems to have some sort of ESP device that clicks into action whenever effort is involved and cannily hides himself away.
Then again he is a city dog and hates the countryside,he is only at home in London streets amongst the smog and filth and fag ends.

Here he is after just being asked if he wants to go for a walk....:(

Donnerschall
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Here he is after just being asked if he wants to go for a walk....:(

You should maybe give him something nice, like a tiny piece of "Biltong or Droe wors" (Southafrican kind of jerky or dry sausage) during the walk. HeŽll realize how nice it is. Also when taking him on the leash with a collar (chain) heŽll remember the sound. Once he gets fit, heŽll come asking for the walk.
Rottweilers tend to always dare you, ours instantaneously obey and come running towards us, no matter how far they are, as soon as we rattle their collar.

Grimsteinr
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 03:59 PM
You should maybe give him something nice, like a tiny piece of "Biltong or Droe wors" (Southafrican kind of jerky or dry sausage) during the walk. HeŽll realize how nice it is. Also when taking him on the leash with a collar (chain) heŽll remember the sound. Once he gets fit, heŽll come asking for the walk.
Rottweilers tend to always dare you, ours instantaneously obey and come running towards us, no matter how far they are, as soon as we rattle their collar.

We have two large Dobermans,85 pounders. Our dogs have their own beds in our bedroom. They don't sleep on our bed. And, we don't sleep, on their beds.
They also never get on the furniture, and never beg for people food.

When DSW & I sit to eat, the dogs get a treat and go lie down.
We love our dogs greatly. They are very intelligent. But, they are dogs.
I'd cry, if I lost either of them, or they died, though. We are very emotionally attached to them.

BritishLad
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
http://oi53.tinypic.com/2ynfkzs.jpg

Voth
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Pic related. It's my wog sister and my cat. He actually hates coming inside. He only comes indoors to escape the coyotes.

By the way, is there supposed to be something culturally Germanic about owning pets? :P

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy38/kingdededede/efef.jpg

RoyBatty
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Wog sister???

She seems in order or am I missing something? :D

Donnerschall
Sunday, December 5th, 2010, 11:21 PM
By the way, is there supposed to be something culturally Germanic about owning pets? :P

If you think of who bred most of the different races of domestic animals for different purposes. It is part of our culture also to enhance different traits and charater in animals so they stay healthy, but I wouldnŽt take the modern genetic engineering into the equation since it only appears to be greed, which eventually harms our dear companions and us.
I prefer for instance to have two kinds of dogs, two races, the Rottweiler and the Dachshund, both black and tan for being camouflaged at night. Both brave to the very end. If you can have them love each other you wonŽt have a better team. The Dachshund on his own is to small and the Rottweiler on his own might become complacent since he has no threats.
Russians for instance do make yokes about Germans with their love for dogs,
also I heard Polish accusing Germans of treating their dogs better than them.
So its definitely part of the Germanics culture owning pets.:thumbup:D

Ediruc
Monday, December 6th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Sometimes I let my favorite cat sleep in the bed at night. I would let her sleep in it more often, but she always wakes me up at night so she can go to the bathroom. So I just usually leave her in the garage where we keep the litterbox. :P

During the day I always let them sleep on my bed, except when I am not there. I have a huge fear that they would be stuck in the room and might pee on my computer :lol

My cat already has a thing about jumping up on the tower for attention.

Thusnelda
Monday, December 6th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Well, often IŽd love to take my cat to bed and IŽm absolutely sure that if IŽd allow it that she would sleep all day from now until her last day in there. :D But I donŽt want cat hairs in my bed and since I have a fitful sleep I donŽt want to find my cat crushed below me in the morning. :P

wittwer
Monday, December 6th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Beds and furniture are for humans. The Barn, Corral, Kennels, Stys, cages and carpets and floors are for the livestock and house pets... No exceptions!
;)

Wychaert
Monday, December 6th, 2010, 05:47 PM
1 of our two cats sometimes sleep in our bed... my other pets i do not want to find in our bed!!! i've got 11 birdspiders!!!:D

ArcticWarrior
Tuesday, December 7th, 2010, 12:31 AM
My cat sleeps beside me every night. She's an angel :)

mongowatson
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM
My American Bulldog Judas sleeps in bed every night.

Vulcade
Thursday, June 7th, 2012, 05:12 AM
I let them. My dog doesn't like to but my cat sleeps next to me like a human. It's adorable.

tigerlily
Friday, June 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Of course! My cats love to curl up with me in my bed. Sorry, but it seems as if anybody who does not allow their pets to sleep in bed with them isn't as warm as you would expect an animal lover to be. I am always a bit surprised to hear of people shutting their dogs and cats out of their rooms. :( I would never dream of making my home unwelcoming to my pets, who are just as much members of the family as human beings.

Elfriede
Friday, June 15th, 2012, 06:40 PM
My cat is actually lying next to me in bed right now, while I do my homework. She usually sleeps in bed with me, but sometimes she wanders around the room. Imagine this waking you up in the morning, it always makes me happy:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/arcticbunnyy/DSC00188-1.jpg

:D

Hrodebert
Sunday, June 17th, 2012, 01:23 AM
How cute! Imagine waking up with this in your face or curled up in-between your legs every morning;

http://nowpic.com/images_folder/thumbs/2012-06/b7f887c0.jpg

That expression is priceless. :D Wow, she looks so young here..

renownedwolf
Sunday, June 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Yes indeed she does, she has to sleep pretty much snuggled into my armpit with my arm around her. If I roll over she will get up and move to the other side to get into the same position. I'm so used to her sleeping in bed with me that I find it hard to get to sleep when she isn't there. The missus also gets really jealous as she thinks I'm the cats favourite!

Hrodebert
Sunday, June 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Yes indeed she does, she has to sleep pretty much snuggled into my armpit with my arm around her. If I roll over she will get up and move to the other side to get into the same position. I'm so used to her sleeping in bed with me that I find it hard to get to sleep when she isn't there. The missus also gets really jealous as she thinks I'm the cats favourite!

I swear, I'm going to be a cranky old cat man when I'm older. :D

Angus
Monday, June 18th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Yes. Even though she has a perfectly good dog bed at the foot of my bed, which may I add, still has yet to be used. :doh :P

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/albaperthshire/brancovers.jpg

LillyCaterina
Wednesday, January 17th, 2018, 11:09 PM
Yes, some of our cats sleep with us. Actully, they think it is their bed. They just let us use it at night.

Finnish Swede
Thursday, January 18th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Yup. My cat (siamese) will come to bed. Now in winter times (inside 21C - 22C) .... it sleeps like humans...body under the duvet and only head is in sight.

SpearBrave
Thursday, January 18th, 2018, 10:10 PM
The dog that lives with me does not get on any furniture and to my knowledge he has never tried. In fact, now that he is 17 I do bath him and let him in the house, he usually smells really bad from rolling in everything from rotting dead animals to cow pies. ;)

At 17 the ole boy has lived a great life, he has never worn a collar, never made to do tricks, and he only comes to you when he feels like it. He is more of a friend than a pet that is owned. While I do feed him, he is still perfectly capable of going to the forest and getting his own food or finding road kills to eat. :thumbup

_-matze-_
Friday, January 19th, 2018, 11:42 AM
My dog is not allowed to be in my bed. Also its forbidden to be on the couch or any other furniture. Its hard, especially if he tries to place his stuffed animal - hes cuddling with when he went sleeping - on my bed or the couch. He wakes me up, showing his present and bark silently. But i do not come into his bed, so he isnt either. :D

Herr Rentz
Friday, July 6th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Lisl von Schlaf will get on the bed at night when I turn in, but she's usually on the floor within five or ten minutes. She would rather sleep at the door.

Astragoth
Friday, July 6th, 2018, 08:32 PM
My cat sleeps in my bed. Or in my chair.

Dun Holm
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 01:54 AM
yes but my dogs also have a bath once a week so they are never dirty

Maintenance
Thursday, May 16th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Yes :D

Ravenrune
Thursday, May 16th, 2019, 02:12 PM
I'd just roll out of bed if I wasn't kept in by a dog and cat on each side. Of course some mornings I wake up with a stiff back for lack of rolling space LOL

Tripredacus
Thursday, May 16th, 2019, 07:02 PM
In the fall and winter, but not really in the spring and never in the summer.