PDA

View Full Version : What are your Gun Laws?

Cuchulain
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
What are the gun laws where you live? How do you feel about gun laws?

Berlichingen
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I live in one of the four(or five) American states that doesn't allow citizens to carry a concealed gun for protection, which makes me sad.

Gun control is innately foolish. It places restrictions on law-abiding citizens, while the criminals the laws are ostensibly aimed at acquire guns from the black market.

skyhawk
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Here in Britain it is illegal to carry an unlicenced/unregistered firearm and it carries a jail sentence.

I wouldn't like to see that changed to a liberalism about gun ownership like as in the US for instance. Don't get me wrong , the system here is not wholly a good system but I think the alternative would be much worse. Unless you're an undertaker etc

theTasmanian
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
here in Australia you can own a firearm if you have a licence and the firearm must be registered

i don't like it one bit....i do like the licensing not the rego

WHY because the government will change the laws again and take what little amount of guns away

the laws changed in 1996/1997 here and if you look at the statistics of one type of firearm then the number handed in is so pitiful there is an estimated 70MILLION firearms out there with out rego and its the law-abiding types like me that get blamed for the crims that don't or didn't hand them in

now why do i like licences! its a way of teaching(a course to get a lic)people about safety and good firearms handling
i also think the rules of storage are good as you go to work or other the firearms are just not left laying around

PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE

Loddfafner
Thursday, March 20th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I am in a state where I have more rights to weaponry than in the one across the river. The progun state politicians keep the antigun city politicians in check just enough to let me defend myself.

Veritas ∆quitas
Thursday, March 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Considering the laws in the UK and Australia, I guess we Canadians can consider ourselves lucky, since here it is not a right to carry guns but a priv.. you get the point. We're allowed to carry guns but Automatic weapons are classified as prohibited, whereas most, if not all, semi's can be bought without a problem but must have the mag pinned to 5 rounds + 1, which is partly why I prefer long guns and shotty's because there's no real difference, you might as well trade off the limited ammo you can carry for stopping power (i.e a handcannon). Handguns are capped to 5+1 also if I remember correctly..

It sucks but hey what can you do. There's ways around the 5 round rule, made especially easy considering the generous neighbour we have to the south. Thanks guys! ;) :D (Goes nicely with my new m4a2.. 30 rounds of love comin' at ya.. gonna try and get a drum mag next time I visit.. up yers libs..)

Granted, I don't take them out to the ranges otherwise I'll get locked up.. I don't mind the laws a whole lot, it's better than no guns at all, but it really sucks when you can't get your hands on an ak47 'round here.. :mad:

Fortis_in_Arduis
Thursday, March 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I thought that gun were very much controlled in Tasmania after the Port Arthur massacre:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

theTasmanian
Thursday, March 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM
they are! it use to be that you only had a licence NO firearm was registered(except hand guns)

now you have to be of good character to have a lic (eg no history of theift or violence) back ground checks are done.....in fact more back ground checks are done on the average gun owner that a pilot !

there are no legally owned centre fire semi autos(no full autos) for anyone unless you have a genuine need......so no one has them.....maybe a fella protecting a scientist from croc's.....maybe...very unlikely

no pump action shotguns unless your a farmer....ho has a genuine need....so not many.......BUT i can have all the pump action RIFLES i like:rolleyes: dumb ass politicians a pump in 30/06 would make a real mess compared to a 12G

genuine need now this covers your reason to own a firearm....self defence is not a genuine need:rolleyes:
hunting & vermin control or Target & sporting are the only genuine reasons here:mad:

if they(the politicians ) go to ban all guns then im moving to NZ Canada or the US:(