PDA

View Full Version : Do You Prefer Solid or Liquid Forums Skins?

Aeternitas
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Solid styles are styles that have a fixed width (usually 800 px), liquid styles are styles that adjust according to your browser. Which do you prefer to use?/Why?

To compare, use the quick style chooser at the bottom of the page.

Schmetterling
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I prefer liquid styles because I like them to fit to my browser screen. An 800 px interface is too narrow for high resolutions although for some reason I see it implemented on forums quite frequently.

Thrymheim
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Now the reason I have no preference is that my monitor is an old CRT with max
resolution of 1024 by 768 and therefore it really doesn't make a difference to me which I use the difference is to small to notice either way

Dagna
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I don't believe I have seen other forums that use solid styles besides Skadi. I believe it is good to have an alternative though. I like the possibility of choice, it is a very Germanic trait.

Loyalist
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I prefer Solid, as the width of my monitor causes text and images to appear distorted or too spread out in Liquid Style. The former keeps what is displayed clear and condensed.

Ossi
Thursday, April 10th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Using a high resolution, I prefer liquid. Solid only works if I use smaller resolutions like 1024 x 768.

Thusnelda
Thursday, April 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I use the liquid one, because it uses the whole screen. :)

Blood_Axis
Thursday, April 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Liquid....I never managed to use a solid one. It is tiring for the eyes.
Pity because the Nature theme, otherwise splendid, comes only in Solid. :)

OneEnglishNorman
Thursday, April 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Liquid, the Solid skins are a bit too constrictive.

Siegfried
Thursday, April 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I prefer the solid style, as it is more orderly.

Eccardus Teutonicus
Thursday, April 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I prefer the solid style, as it is more orderly.

I concur; it's neater.

Huzzey
Thursday, April 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Liquid.
Why waste horizontal space? More space equals less scrolling. More information on the screen at a given time equals easier to absorb information. What about people who use very high resolutions? There are no advantages of Solid. The choice is easy.

Using 800 pixels out of 2048 pixels would look very wasteful and awkward.

http://www.imagerise.com/out.php/t17238_Screenshot.jpg (http://www.imagerise.com/show.php/17238_Screenshot.jpg.html)

Bärin
Thursday, April 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I like liquid because there's less scrolling and I use high resolutions but I think the choice of solid styles should be offered too for those who prefer them. :)

Eccardus Teutonicus
Thursday, April 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Oh well no reason to be close-minded; I figure I'll give liquid another try and see how I feel about it.

Siebenbürgerin
Thursday, August 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I like both, but I have been trying solid styles lately and they look more orderly and tidy. My opinion anyhow. :)

andrea
Thursday, August 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I prefer the liquid style:)

Oswiu
Monday, August 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Fine Message Board User I am - I didn't even know for sure which I was using! Turns out that it was solid, and now that I've switched to liquid I can honestly say that i don't like it one bit! :D As has been said, solid looks tidier. De gustibus non disputandem!

Now let me get this thing back to normal... ah, that's better!

Nachtengel
Monday, August 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Solid styles. I agree with the people saying they look orderly and cleaner cause us Germans like order. :D:D:D

Hermelin
Friday, November 14th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I prefer solid styles; for some reason they look neater to me :thumbup.

Sigurd
Friday, November 14th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm a German, thus I like order. I have always been using Solid styles ever since I started using these boards --- but then again the resolution I use most of the time is 1600 x 1200 ... and Liquid styles look so out of order on that, as they fill the whole screen: Essays are reduced to two liners with a paragraph break after every line and the forum looks remarkably like an over-sized Munich taxi-driver. :D

Anlef
Friday, November 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I didn't realise this option was available. I've been using liquid, I guess it's the default style. Now I've switched on solid, and I like it much better. It's far more orderly, indeed. I have a big screen with a high resolution, so I don't want to have sentences of a mile long. On the other hand, since I don't like to maximise my windows, liquid would do the job as well.