PDA

View Full Version : Should Prisoners Be Allowed to Vote?

Sigurd
Friday, March 7th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Feel free to discuss why prisoners should be allowed to vote, or why they shouldn't, and elaborate on your choice.

Ĉmeric
Friday, March 7th, 2008, 03:46 AM
No. In small counties (population wise) with prisons, the prisoners would be a significant voting block. And in Indiana, judges are elected by popular vote (a bad ideal in itself). Along with the county sheriff & county attorney. No, I don't want prisoners voting.

Mrs. Lyfing
Friday, March 7th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Maybe some prisoners, maybe the non-felonies. :confused:

I can't count ..wait...my husband just said felony persons can't vote, well OK, Um...if someone is in prison, with a misdemeanor charge, they probably would be OK to vote, I mean most of us probably have committed a misdemeanor, we just ain't got caught...:D

So, of course ( I hope my use of course is right this time, I forget ) no mass murders, child molesters, old lady killers should vote, but for the rest who just fu**ed up once, don't take that away from them....yet.

The good ole' redneck misdemeanor dudes ain't gonna vote for Obama, give them a ticket!

SwordOfTheVistula
Friday, March 7th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Definitely not prisoners who are still in jail

Convicted felons generally shouldn't either, though today there are many too many things considered a 'felony' that should be misdemeanors (such as drunk driving) or not a crime (such as caught with a weapon at the wrong time/wrong place). Society is not going to lack because of the input of these people is not allowed

Loddfafner
Friday, March 7th, 2008, 05:21 AM
If prisons are counted as part of a region's population for the purpose of allocating representatives, then they should be able to vote.

On principle, I prefer to allow the right to vote to people who would elect politicans I oppose than to risk disenfranchising those who were incarcerated for blatantly political reasons.

GroeneWolf
Friday, March 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
People looked in prison could be considerd to be put out of society. They are no longer realy part of it. So as part of there punshiment they should probaly not be alowed to vote.

Thrymheim
Friday, March 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Prisoners should not be allowed to vote, as it is one of the rights which they gave up when they committed the crime.
However I that also statement would only apply if we changed the reasons for incarceration, at the moment we put people in prison for stupid reasons, people who have committed smaller crimes should be punished in different ways and never enter the prison system at all.

The Lawspeaker
Friday, March 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
No, I don't think that they should have the right to vote since they have committed a crime against society and as such have lost all rights that they would naturally have as citizens of that society.

I think that our juidicial system is in desperate need of an overhaul: we need to punish more firmly for a much longer time. And as an added bonus for the prisoners: they still have their rights as human beings (food, drink, shelter, their rights to have political, religious beliefs, freedom of speech), but no longer as citizens of the society (and that includes taking away their rights to vote or receive welfare) whilst incarcerated.
So that means that they will have to lay off the cigarettes and everything else and start working making license plates and such- for no income except their daily bread and butter (which they will get anyways because our country will always uphold human rights) and a daily newspaper and the television.

No more State Hilton for these fella's ... ooh no.

Ĉmeric
Friday, March 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I can't count ..wait...my husband just said felony persons can't vote, well OK, Um...if someone is in prison, with a misdemeanor charge, they probably would be OK to vote, I mean most of us probably have committed a misdemeanor, we just ain't got caught...:D

In some states, convicted felons forfeit their right to vote forever. This was an issue in Florida where Nrgro civil rights leaders claimed this unfairly weaken the Negro voting block, because of all the adult Negro males who are disqualified from voting because of pass felony convictions.

Fortis_in_Arduis
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I just read Diana Mosley's autobiography.

She, Winston Churchill's famously fascist cousin, was locked up, without charge or trial, during WWII.

We do not have free speech, democracy. We do not have a perfect legal system.

Yes, I think that prisoners, all prisoners, should be allowed to have opinions and vote, work for their keep and eat healthy food.

If they are not worthy of the above then perhaps they should be executed or deported anyway.

Has anyone on this thread who would deny the vote to prisoners actually been locked up?

Schmetterling
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Yes. As long as they are citizens they should benefit from all the rights a citizen has.

Gagnraad
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 02:15 AM
As we must generalize all of the prisoners, instead of choosing who behave good and who does not, I believe that people in jail, should not be allowed to vote. They are in jail as a punishment for a crime they did.

But as soon they get out of jail, they are free to do whatever they will.

skyhawk
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Maybe we could be asking should voters be allowed to vote for criminals ?
(whether prisoners or not after all prisoners are only criminals we have caught , the ones we haven't can still vote and the ones we release cease to be prisoners anymore )
It's a serious question believe it or not :D

Deary
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
No. Convicts are not comparable to law-abiding citizens. They are not like the rest of us after serving their time or becuase "they're citizens too." These are persons who have violated the rights to life, liberty and property of his fellow citizens. They excluded themselves from the normal populace the minute they did so. Good behavior, whether genuine or not, does not excuse their crime. The majority of felons released go on to commit other crimes. Plenty don't even serve their time. They don't deserve to be in positions that allow them to decide the fate of a country because the fact that they have been to prison shows what little respect they have for society and the laws that uphold it. Therefore, they should have no say in what laws are and are not enforced upon law-abiding individuals. Giving them the right to vote would essentially be tolerating their behavior. Depriving them of their ability to vote in no way unfairly punishes them twice. The right to vote isn't some inalienable right. It is a priveledge.

OneEnglishNorman
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 07:36 PM
It makes more sense to prevent government employees voting than it would prisoners. I selected the option that prisoners should be allowed to vote. I don't feel strongly on it one way or the other.

skyhawk
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
It would also be far more beneficial to make the manifesto legally binding. In other words , what you vote for is what they are legally obliged to implement during their term in office.

I wonder if they would still promise referendums , surely a prerequisite of any supposed democratic society. National referendums on the European Union would be a step in the right direction , imo , we just need a free press to go with it :D ( so we can vote accurately and in tune with our core beliefs )

Loddfafner
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 10:17 PM
If everyone were caught and charged for anything that could be considered a crime, just about everybody would be locked up.

Drakkar
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I believe if you are a citizen of a country and have committed a crime, it doesn't forfeit you being a citizen. That is ridiculous and undemocratic. Therefore, granted that prisoners convicted of felonies have most likely but not certainly done something against the law still grants them the right to vote because of their status as citizens. However my reasoning gets a bit dicey when you are referring to prisoners convicted of serious felonies, but at this point I believe it should be granted to all prisoners.

Old Winter
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I voted other:

No, because most prisoners in my land are none-white immigrants so you know what they will be voting on.

The Lawspeaker
Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I voted other:

No, because most prisoners in my land are none-white immigrants so you know what they will be voting on.
Well.. that would be anti-democratic and blatantly racist. Blocking out none-white immigrants ( a race issue) from the vote because they would (naturally- in your way of thinking) vote for left-wing parties. Sure a fellow Dutchman can think better then this.

Keeping convicts (without regards for ethnic and religious backgrounds) away from the polls because they have temporarily forfeited their rights as citizens and have a debt to re-pay to society would be a better reason instead of anti-democratic, blatantly racist reasons.

In the end it will come down to the same thing: no vote for convicts that have committed serious acts.

Loddfafner
Sunday, March 9th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Aren't prisons in the US just storage units for antiquated farm machinery anyways?

SwordOfTheVistula
Sunday, March 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
It makes more sense to prevent government employees voting

I'll agree with you there.

Did the people who voted 'yes' mean convicts should be able to vote after getting out of prison, or that they should be allowed to vote while actually serving their prison sentence?

Well.. that would be anti-democratic and blatantly racist. Blocking out none-white immigrants ( a race issue) from the vote because they would (naturally- in your way of thinking) vote for left-wing parties. Sure a fellow Dutchman can think better then this.

A lot of them can vote in their nations of origin though, effectively giving them a vote in 2 different countries

Evolved
Sunday, March 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
In an ideal world nobody should be allowed to vote. For now, only the criminals who violently infringed upon the persons or property of others (murderers, rapists, armed thieves) should lose their voting right.

Drakkar
Sunday, March 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM
In an ideal world nobody should be allowed to vote. For now, only the criminals who violently infringed upon the persons or property of others (murderers, rapists, armed thieves) should lose their voting right.I respectfully disagree but see where you're coming from. No country is ever ideal, but the people, possibly excluding the ones who commit acts that "infringe upon the persons or property of others," must decide what is right for them.

If no one can vote, then it would be easier for others to become criminals themselves, and ultimately decide who will go to prison.