PDA

View Full Version : Soul, real or just a metaphor ?

Hanna
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I wonder the existence of soul ? Is it true or just a metaphor? When the heart and brain stopped then one declared medically dead. But what about the soul? I'm always wonder the soul of my little brother.

http://i30.tinypic.com/24ya344.jpg

SwordOfTheVistula
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I think it is a metaphor for things emotionally related to an individual which are hard to define

Elysium
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I think their does exist something similar to the "soul". It may not be exactly how is defined today, but there is definitey, I think, some "energy" which makes spirituality possible and meaningful.

Janus
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 12:51 PM
There might be a soul, there might be no soul but it's a fact that the word soul we use in a lot of phrases, idioms and proverbs is just a metaphor, which often has not even a real connection to the idea we call soul.

exit
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
It is absolutely true and not a metaphor.

Next World
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I believe that the soul is non-physical energy that is linked with a body. I think after having spent such a long time within a certain body, the energy does "take the shape" of the body and is inclined to be more like the things around it. When it leaves the body it remains in that shape for a given while, until it becomes other things.

Deary
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I believe in ghosts and that they are wandering souls or spirits of a person, so, yes, I believe the soul is real. Were it not for their presence, I probably would come to the conclusion that a soul is just a metaphor.

Mrs. Lyfing
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I most definitely believe there is a soul.

Lyfing
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I think the soul or whatever part one holds that seems like it dies when they die because it is "made" by the body.

A. The emphasis on physiology.

In describing the world in terms of will to power Nietzsche is in fact focusing on what had hitherto been thought of as appearance. For Nietzsche the distinction of thought and will is indicative of the dualism inherent in philosophy. Nietzsche argues that action takes place in the world and therefore he focuses on the will, which had hitherto been seen to bring thought in relation to the body and the world. For Nietzsche will and power refer to the actual world in contrast to thought (philosophical thought in particular) which conceives itself to be other-worldly.

Nietzsche's emphasis on the actual, finite world in contrast to the philosophical emphasis on the real, other-worldly realm (e.g., the realm of forms or the noumenal realm) explains his description of the will in physiological terms. He contends that the self and will are unites in the actual physiological person; that there is no self or will beyond the completely surface phenomenon of the body. Nietzsche asserts that the evolution of spirit should be considered as a question of the body.28 His dialectical scepticism shifts the focus of philosophy from thought to instinct. Nietzsche portrays himself as philosophizing with a hammer. He wishes to smash the idolatrous shed which he argues Platonism has cast over the body. In the light of these metaphors, Nietzsche describes thought as the self-expression of instinct, as a tool for self-preservation and self-enhancement.29 Whereas Plato argued that the rational element of the soul is prior to and sets the boundaries for the physical, Nietzsche reverses this priority.

http://www.mun.ca/phil/codgito/vol2/v2doc4.html

Later,
-Lyfing

KomturWorthington
Saturday, January 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
The question of whether the soul is real or a metaphor cannot be correctly answered as this matter is simply that of personal opinion. I personally believe in a soul due to my religious and philosophical convictions, but as for proof, I have none. My point of view comes from faith. Faith is believing not knowing. I think one of the best examples of this argument comes from "Phaedo" when Socrates was discussing with his disciples on whether he believed in the soul, immortality etc. before he drank the hemlock. Then with that said, if you do believe in a soul is the soul an entity similar to a ghost or such, or is it soul and body when you pass? Either way, the only source we have is death. Only our forefathers know the real answer to the question. Just some thoughts.

sophia
Sunday, January 27th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I am not so sure I would call it a metaphor, but I do think the word has attached to many many ideas which are not itself due to the fact it is a word for a think that cannot actually be communicated.
In the same way that it would be impossible to communicate the colour red (even though you could teach the word and even some concepts behind it) to a blind person, but we are not all blind to this soul idea, but its a blurry hard to grasp concept and its not made up of sense impressions so communication of it very difficult.