PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have Any Allergies?

NordHecate
Tuesday, September 7th, 2004, 07:17 PM
I particularly like to watch tv shows where the characters have insomnia, because it helps me sleep. I tried doing this lastnight and it almost worked, until an allergy attack came on.

Are allergies by chance more prominant in White individuals?

Think of this as sort of the cyber-equivalent to the random "person-on-the-street" surveys that stop you at the shopping malls to ask dumb questions.

The reason I want to explore this, is due to the many family members of mine on both sides who all suffer from your regular fit of sneezing and itchy, watery eyes when coming in contact with juniper, grass, fur, the norm. (Add my job, dealing with those ass customers, stupid boss decisions and other daily crap I get at work everyday, as an allergy for myself)

I have read reports where they say Allergies are caused by an oversensitive immune system. I think thats bullshit. I take care of myself, eat right and exercise. No drugs, no alcohol abuse, plenty of good natural herbs.

Yet - I still suffer from this crap. Forget Claritin and all that OTC synthetic garbage.

My fathers side (scan,german) - mother side (Scot immig) both suffer from this horrific beast.

Anyway this could be due to the origins/country of the family?

Today, I was reminded that Linux really doesn't appreciate spaces in file names. Particularly in fonts that xfs is trying to play happily with. So now I am off to debate with my computer, and sneeze all over the monitor repeatedly.

Hersir_Hasteinn
Wednesday, September 8th, 2004, 12:57 AM
I'm not really allergic to anything, luckily... However, I got really sensitive skin. Use of too much soap, or too often and I start to break out in almost like a rash.

You can imagine my joy when I used to be a dishwasher.

cosmocreator
Wednesday, September 8th, 2004, 01:19 AM
I'm not allergic to anything. And my white blood cell count is below normal.

Rachel
Wednesday, September 8th, 2004, 04:29 AM
I've got sensitive skin as well. Most body washs and lotions leave my skin inflamed with rashes for days, especially if they have a strong fragrance. Besides that I've got no known allergies.

NordHecate
Wednesday, September 8th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Some say that allergies are most prominent in adults who were not breastfed.

I was not.

My son was, he has none.

I am allergic to cats, dander and pollen.

And I am in perfect health.

Tore
Thursday, September 9th, 2004, 09:13 PM
I have read reports where they say Allergies are caused by an oversensitive immune system.

This is correct.

Allergies are caused primarily by a weakened immune system which in turn is caused by exposure to high-levels of androgens (particularly testosterone) en utero (i.e. prenatally).

Interesting to note, as levels of prenatal androgens increase, so does the variance exhibit in cognitive ability. For example, males are exposed to higher levels than females (obviously), as are left-handers when compared to right handers, as well as autistics and those with asperger's syndrome in comparison to "neurotypicals" (non afflicted individuals), and as such, a higher IQ variance is confirmed among males, left-handers, and those exhibiting symptomes of autism. Unsurprisingly, individuals with allergies are disproportionately predisposed either to giftedness or to having a learning disability.

In terms of how such characteristics manifest themselves on a racial level, a higher IQ standard deviation is found among Whites when compared to Blacks or East Asians. Moreover, although Blacks are, on average, exposed to higher levels of prenatal androgens than Whites, the overwhelming majority of those suffering from Asperger's or Autism are White males. Perhaps the same is true of allergy rates although I can't confirm this.

GreenHeart
Friday, September 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM
I have allergies, I'm also from almost the same nation-ancestry. My moms side of the family has the runny nose type allergies. Her oldest brother is allergic to cats and dogs, dust pollen etc..., other brother is pollen and dust only, my mom is allergic to pollen dust mold. My dads side his mother is allergic to cats but not dogs all that much, and she breaks out from a lot of soaps.

I got both types of allergies, I can't use soap or I get really dry skin so I only use moisturizing body wash, I get rashes from a lot of cheap soap brands, and also from dishsoap after I wash the dishes you can always see little red spots on my hands, and they itch/hurt but go away after a few hours.

I also seem to be allergic to assorted chemicals especially the cleaning chemicals that they use in schools and stores because every time I am in one of those kind of buildings for more than a few minutes my eyes get dry and I get a bad headache in the front. I'm also allergic to perfumes (but not body sprays which are mainly water) and flowers with a strong scent like lily and etc.

About halfway into my pregnancy I also started sneezing drippy watery stuff every morning and every time I feel tired; and its still around even though I had my baby almost 3 months ago. I don't know if it's an allergy or what but it's very annoying, the doctor told me it was a cold but it wasn't...that was 5 months ago- I'm not sick! Doctors are so incompetent.

Of course, I don't take anything for my allergies. I don't see why I should take a medicine which side effects are worse than my allergies. I think the whole medical profession is jewish and useless, what good is treating the symptom but not the cause?

Northern Paladin
Friday, September 10th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I am allergy free. Though there are those in my family who have pollen allergies.
I've heard the increase in allergies are related to an urban lifestyle. Those who grew up in farms are much less likely to experience allergies.

Nightmare_Gbg
Saturday, September 11th, 2004, 12:21 AM
I got allergies,got them when i was 17.I was exposed to something that made me allergic.So springtime is not fun for me.

cosmocreator
Saturday, September 11th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Those who grew up in farms are much less likely to experience allergies.

I've posted on this.

http://www.forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=97

Mistress Klaus
Sunday, September 12th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Actually..this is strange because I was about to post a Thread about Allergies...

Well I have never been one to be especially sickly or prone to any allergies...but much to my horror...I have been suffering something terrible for the last 6 months or so....Non Stop......My absolute stubboness has stopped me from visiting a doctor. I hate doctors....though I am upon breaking point to get an allergy test. :icon_redf ....Everyday is a cacophony of sneezing, tissues & the usual misery of feeling second rate health..:speechles ... I am fed up of it... !!!

Nightmare_Gbg
Sunday, September 12th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Actually..this is strange because I was about to post a Thread about Allergies...

Well I have never been one to be especially sickly or prone to any allergies...but much to my horror...I have been suffering something terrible for the last 6 months or so....Non Stop......My absolute stubboness has stopped me from visiting a doctor. I hate doctors....though I am upon breaking point to get an allergy test. :icon_redf ....Everyday is a cacophony of sneezing, tissues & the usual misery of feeling second rate health..:speechles ... I am fed up of it... !!!
I know the feeling.

Oskorei
Monday, September 13th, 2004, 09:22 PM
I am allergy free. Though there are those in my family who have pollen allergies.
I've heard the increase in allergies are related to an urban lifestyle. Those who grew up in farms are much less likely to experience allergies.

I heard this too, the cleaner the home you grow up in, the larger the risk of becoming allergic.

So probably they kept it a bit too clean when I grew up, because I got heavy pollen allergy. I dont use any medication against it, since it strengthens the will to keep from rubbing my eyes constantly, and since I dont trust modern medicine. My father is also allergic, but not against pollen, so I dont know if its hereditary.

Northern Paladin
Monday, September 13th, 2004, 10:28 PM
I heard this too, the cleaner the home you grow up in, the larger the risk of becoming allergic.

So probably they kept it a bit too clean when I grew up, because I got heavy pollen allergy. I dont use any medication against it, since it strengthens the will to keep from rubbing my eyes constantly, and since I dont trust modern medicine. My father is also allergic, but not against pollen, so I dont know if its hereditary.

Why such distrust for modern medicine?

Allergies can be easily fixed in most cases by the right medication(some are even side effect free).

Oskorei
Monday, September 13th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Why such distrust for modern medicine?

Allergies can be easily fixed in most cases by the right medication(some are even side effect free).

Often the side-effects are discovered several years later. This may not be so dangerous with allergy-medication, but still, they are profit-making Multinationals. I do not wish to support them with my money, and I do not trust them. Besides, its good training of the will.

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, September 14th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Actually I have noticed alot of articles & programs in the media that are related to allergies...hmmm...I tend to think it is more than just the usual allergy affected that are suffering. I think the general environment is causing it..due to pollution. ( :| though they won't actually say that..)..

I refuse to go on constant medication. There is a method that uses non-invasive pressure along the spine, that 're-trains' the immune system not to respond inappropiately to possible allergens. Actually, I have felt better for the last few days...with trying 'positive thought' & convincing myself to reverse my newfound allergy. (I will do anything to avoid doctors & even naturopaths!.. :viking1:)...Of course...if I cannot overcome this on my own...I will submit & probably try the above treatment I mentioned here. :icon_smil

NordHecate
Tuesday, September 14th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Few good links for the natural approach.

http://allergies.about.com/cs/basics/a/aa091701a.htm

http://www.naturalways.com/alergy1.htm

http://www.msn.handbag.com/healthfit/complementary/allergies/

Good article (below): http://allergies.about.com/cs/alternatives/a/aa120798.htm

Enzymes
Co-enzyme Q10 stimulates the immune system function and is a powerful antioxidant. It moves energy throughout the body, increasing the efficiency of cellular metabolism and is also beneficial for allergies, asthma, and a lowered immunity. A natural substance, Co-enzyme Q10 is found in all healthy tissues in the body, and not found in diseased or infected ones.

Fatty Acids
Essential fatty acids are important to the immune system because they reduce inflammation associated with allergic response by aiding in the production of prostaglandins that counter inflammation.

Herbs
Echinacea stimulates the immune system and may also protect against infection and stimulate tissue repair and healing.

Commonly referred to by its Chinese name, ma huang, Ephedra has both an upside and a downside. It constricts the blood vessels which makes it a useful nasal decongestant, but it also raises blood pressure and increases heart rate.

Garlic has antibacterial properties that are beneficial in healing a chronic runny nose.

Goldenseal, goldenrod, and stinging nettle have been used for anti-viral and anti-inflammatory response amd help remove excess mucus. Nettle can be very helpful for drying out the sinuses.

An herbal extract derived from the bark of the white oak tree, quercus alba, Quercetin is a very safe and effective treatment for all kinds of sinus reactions, including allergies, asthma, and hay fever. It stabilizes the membranes of the cells that release histamine which is what triggers allergic reactions.

Minerals
Calcium and magnesium are important nutrients for the allergy sufferer. They help to relax an overreactive nervous system. This mineral helps people with allergies to help with the stress caused to the body by allergic reaction.

When combined with Vitamin E, Selenium is an excellent anti-oxidant, which will in turn protect the body from free radicals. Selenium has a targeted role in allergic activity and is important for its help in utilizing vitamin E, another important immune system nutrient.

Sulfur aids in the treatment of allergies, both environmental allergies (house dust, animal hair, etc.) and with food and drug allergies. People who are allergic to certain foods and who have allergic reactions to medications (non-steroidal anti-arthritic medications and antibiotics) show either a decreased reaction or a complete tolerance to the particular foods or medications when taking sulfur.

Zinc is an anti-oxidant and boosts immunity. It helps the body to maintain healthy cell function. It helps the body to build new immune system cells to help fend off viral infections and heal cuts and wounds. It's important for the production of collagen. It also combines with vitamin A to maintain healthy eye function.

Vitamins
Zinc and Vitamin A are key to immune system health. They play a role in the production of IgA, an antibody that coats allergens in the intestinal tract, preventing their absorption in the blood supply and forcing their elimination from the body.

Beta-carotene is used by the body to make vitamin A. It also heals and soothes irritated mucus membranes.

One of the B vitamins, Pantothenic acid plays an important role in the proper functioning of the adrenal glands and helps your body produce natural cortisone that counteracts allergens that can reduce allergic symptoms. Improving how the adrenal glands work reduces allergic reactivity.

Vitamin C's natural antihistamine properties make it a classic allergy treatment. A daily dose of 1000 to 4000 milligrams should help reduce the severity of sinus stuffiness and runny nose.

A very powerful antioxidant Vitamin E protects the body from free radicals. It alleviates respiratory problems and boosts your immune system's ability to fight off infectious diseases.

Jolly Roger
Thursday, October 7th, 2004, 10:03 AM
There is a theory in natural medicine, exposed by Udo Eramus in his books "Fats that heal, fats that kill" (I can't too strongly urge anyone interested in this topic to get this book and have a look at the others from "Alive books", they are gold mines of informations!...), that allergies are often triggered by undigested portions of proteins going through the intestinal tract, and sensitizing the immune system once in the bloodstream. It is the same phenomenom going on with vaccines, and that makes people more and more wary of them (there is also a growing amount of evidence that autism is linked to the overabuse of vaccinations in european countries). The lack of essential fatty acids, especially in the early life is an aggravating factor, which explains the benefits of breast-feeding.

As many disease, it responds well to nutrient enrichment and NordHecate have posted a very comprehensive list of supplements on this topic.

Personally, I have also suffered a running, itchy nose through all my childhood, and the only thing that made me good, was a regular nutrient enrichment of my diet. Vitamin A has played a key role in this regard, as it is very important for the health of mucous membranes. I never go over 15000 IU of total (food+supplements) retinol intake a day, following the recommendations of Thierry Souccar. I will take a capsule of 5000 to 7500 IU of vitamin A from fish liver oil during the cold season, and discontinue its use during summer, to avoid build up. I complement this with a carotenoid complex. I think it is important to have a slight bit of natural preformed vitamin A in your diet, unless you are a pregnant woman or have a history of serious liver troubles, because the body's mechanisms operating the transformation of carotenoids into retinol may not work as well and fast as they should.

Another supplement that is worse mentionning, because it is not well-known outside the french-speaking world, is G5. It is an organic form of silica that is extremely well absorbed by the body and does a host of good things : it mainly strengthens the connective tissues, and as every tissues in the body have some of this stuff, it helps a lot. Its main indication is for joint problems, for which it plays near miracles, but it works also to some extent for allergies and many other diseases.

Here is the link about it :

http://www.loicleribault.com/

They are in Ireland and ship worldwide.

MommyGoosestep
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Not sure if this really goes along with the rest of the thread but I just found out my son is allergic to soy,wheat,dairy,peanuts and latex. He was not breastfed. I have done alot of research since finding this out last week and food allergies don't have much to do with whether a child was breastfed or not. That is more for the dander/pollen type allergies. I am allergic to dander and pollen. I get very bad during Hay Fever season. My sons father has no allergies. Does anyone know much about food allergies and perhaps why my son is so allergic to the above mentioned?

FFF,
Samantha

cosmocreator
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Not sure if this really goes along with the rest of the thread but I just found out my son is allergic to soy,wheat,dairy,peanuts and latex.

That's a subject I've been meaning to bring up. I'm not allergic to peanuts and when I was growing up I never heard about anyone being allergic to them. I wonder if peanut allergies have a racial origin? It seems so common in schools these days.

Eik■yrnir
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I have no allergies, probably because of rough childhood. I was courious and got sick a lot when I was young. I believe these experiences strengthened immune system and is the reason I get rarely sick in adulthood. I have no allergies but I make up for it in near-sightedness, my bane of existance.

:coffee:

MommyGoosestep
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 11:13 PM
That's a subject I've been meaning to bring up. I'm not allergic to peanuts and when I was growing up I never heard about anyone being allergic to them. I wonder if peanut allergies have a racial origin? It seems so common in schools these days.
Could be a racial origin. I do know that when we took him to the ER 2 weeks ago the doctor on duty was telling us how allergies are becoming more and more common among infants. He was saying how about 2/3 of the children they see at the hospital are allergic to latex. Heck..I never heard of food allergies growing up either. I blame it on the hormones they use to grow and preserve food. He never had a problem eating anything with wheat in it and all of the sudden he was getting yeast infections from wheat.

Samantha

Next World
Sunday, January 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Do you have any allergies?
Is it a common (laytex, pollen, dander, bolded ingredients: nuts, fish, dairy, eggs, wheat, soy...) or uncommon (apples, chicken, tomatoes, etc.)?
When was it discovered that you had the allergy?
Did you discover this in a medically sound way (an allergy test) or because of a reaction?
Have do you think you'll ever outgrow your allergy?
Do you suspect that you might have an allergy you are unaware of at the point?
Why do you think you have allergies?
Why do you think people have allergies in general?
Do you tend to think of people with allergies more as having "special dietary/living needs" or having an actual disease?
What's one thing you don't know how you'd live if you were allergic to? (alcohol, chocolate...)
Would it make your life easier to be allergic to anything? (alcohol, chocolate...)
Do you consider allergies as having any genetic significance?
Would you marry and reproduce with someone who had an allergy, how severe and of what would be the maximum you would tolerate?
Do you believe the theory that the reason young Americans have the most allergies, proportionately speaking, is because our countrymen have such an obsession with cleanliness, therefore never strengthening our immunities? (IE, alcohol-based hand sanitizer, parents who flip out over the "5-second rule", so on...)

Blood_Axis
Sunday, January 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hereditary Atopic dermatitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atopic_dermatitis) :puppyeyes

I discovered it when I was 15 or something. My dermatologist diagnosed it is a hereditary manifestation of my father's asthma gene. So it could be worse. I could have had asthma instead :p

The Horned God
Sunday, January 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I have a common allergy. I'm allergic to dust, if I'm in a dusty environment for very long, I get wheezy.

Hereditary Atopic dermatitis (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikip edia.org%2Fwiki%2FAtopic_dermatitis) :puppyeyes

I used to have a touch of that on my shoulders, I had it through-out my teens and most of my twenties but it seems to have gone away on it's own.

I consider that a rare stroke of good luck, once one pasts the age of about twenty one can rest assured that most changes in the body will be for the worse not the better... :oanieyes

Next World
Sunday, January 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I thought of this thread when I was having a snack earlier. I was having peanut butter for the first time in probably 3 years. Reminded me that something like 80 kids at our school are allergic to peanut butter. Then there is one kid with a laytex allergy, tons of kids allergic to soy, wheat, eggs, dairy, shellfish, so on. One guy I know was allergic to chicken for most of his childhood. Made me think back to an article I read about allergy theories and made me wonder why nobody in our family has ever had an allergy that we knew of.

What I do have, though, are a series of "sensitivities" that people often mistake as allergies. Most people would be sensitive to the same things I am sensitive to if they hadn't been ingesting them on a regular basis for years and years. Doctors opt to refer to them as "sensitivities" rather than allergies, as they are toxic substances that most people take in daily.

I'm very "clean" in terms of consumption. People who know how I live often compare me to the guy in "Supersize Me", although I'm not that strict in a lot of ways, but am more strict in some. I drink, cook and clean with filtered water, I use (aluminum free) salt deodorant, I don't have a microwave, I only use seasalt, don't drink from cans or plastic bottles, consume over 90% organic food, so on. A lot of people regard it as freaky and unnecessary, but it's quite normal to me at this point.

So, if I do have packaged food or other "normal" things, I often get uncontrollably sick. One time I had a piece of normal store brand bacon. I was gagging and severely dehydrated in moments. My mom thought I was allergic to pig meat. I'm really just so sensitive to the nitrates and nitrites in bacon that my body does feel like it is being toxified if I have even a little bit. I'm also very sensitive to chlorine in water. If I drink chlorinated water I spit up almost instantly, without any conscious thought about it. If I'm in a pool with a "normal" level of chlorine my skin will feel like it's on fire. Similarly, if I have toothpaste in my mouth that contains fluoride, I will start to gag and spit up. I'm not even going to talk about what McDonald's can do. I've learned that it is better for me not to even go near one.

So, really, I don't have allergies, but my body has relearned to view certain toxins as, you know, toxic. It's kind of interesting.

Soldier of Wodann
Sunday, January 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Cats and Pollen. Pretty common, and the pollen isn't as bad as it used to be (I actually didn't even have it as a child, and only started having it when I moved to the U.S. :confused:). Oddly enough, most of my friends who have cats also happen to be partially allergic to them. I think cats are the problem here, not me. Bastards.

a.squiggles
Sunday, January 13th, 2008, 09:13 PM
i had severe eczema (which is not really an allergy) when i was a child. i've pretty much outgrown it though, now i just have sensitive skin

i'm allergic to common allergens like ragweed, dandelion, and some grassess and less common things like sunflower and celery.

thedandelion and grass ones were discovered by a test and the other ones through (very unpleasant) expriences and confirmed by a test.

Do you believe the theory that the reason young Americans have the most allergies, proportionately speaking, is because our countrymen have such an obsession with cleanliness, therefore never strengthening our immunities? (IE, alcohol-based hand sanitizer, parents who flip out over the "5-second rule", so on...)

considering that allergies are due to excessive immune response (i.e. the immune system reacts to sustances it shouldn't be reacting to) i would say the issue is not weakness or strength of immune systems, rather that north americans' immune systems are so...idle?...bored?...they start reacting to anything and everything :rolleyes:

btw, immunocompromised individuals are less likely to have allergic reactions (if they are compromised accross the board...not true for hiv patients)

ladybright
Friday, January 18th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Penicillin/amoxacillin. Mild hayfever some years. I think I am allergic because my mother is.

I have always thought that over sterilization and reduced variety in diet are part of the allergy problem. I was reading about yet another study where wild rats did not have allergies like lab rats while my daughter had a checkup the other day.

Northern Paladin
Friday, January 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm allergic to certain kinds of pollen. I'm allergic also allergic to poison ivy and poison oak.
I'm not allergic to any foods.

theTasmanian
Saturday, January 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hay fever is about it......

Teutonic
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
none for me:)

Skarpherdin
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
I never get sick, I have no allergies.

Loddfafner
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2008, 05:54 AM
I'm allergic to R&B, rap, disco, and hiphop.

Hermelin
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I used to be allergic to strawberries when I was little. I would get red spots (urticaria) on my face if I ate some. Not anymore :P

Nachtengel
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I'm allergic to dust. It's so annoying, so I don't let dust get thick at my place, I have to clean it very often.

Freigeistige
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I'm allergic to cat dander, pollen, and dust. I'm also lactose intolerant, but that doesn't count. :D

Stygian Cellarius
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I never used to have allergies, but about 2-3 years ago I began experiencing symptoms; mostly during the Fall, but also during the Spring as well. I guess it's obvious what causes it in the Spring, but I'm not sure what's causing reactions in the Fall yet. Haven't thought about it much.

The greater part of my life, when I heard someone complain about allergies I payed no attention because I myself had no experience of it. Now I understand how annoying they can be. My symptoms are not server yet, but I get itchy eyes and sneeze. I imagine they will get worse since the direction of my reaction has moved towards an increase; None then some. :|

Grimsteinr
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I can handle it a bit, and if I wash well afterward it never bothers me.
I think a couple of my grown children Never get it.
One gets it severely.
And the other 2 get it only a little bit, or not at all if they wash, it off,
soon after exposure.

I use to get stress allergies, when I was married to one Ex-wife.
I got rid of those, though.

Stimme
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I haven't discovered any allergy on me yet. And I think I never will. I'm pretty healthy. :D

Would you marry and reproduce with someone who had an allergy?

An interesting question. I want my children to be as healthy as possible. For them I will even try to find a woman who compensates my own genetically flaws ( I have a VERY sensitive skin and brown eyes - I don't really consider them as flaws but I'd still like my children being blue-eyed; that just looks better). But you can't see if a person got any allergies by looking at them. And I would feel terrible saying "No, I don't want children from you, you're allergic to pollen" to a girl I have had a long relationship with.

ladybright
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I am allergic to penicillin and have mild hay fever(pollen). If I regularly drink nettle tea I do not have any hay fever.

I think allergies are worse (in part) because of overexposure (wheat, latex, soy) and over cleaning/sanitizing.It seems like we are getting worse at cleaning while using more products.

Would you marry and reproduce with someone who had an allergy?
Yes I did. Personal integrity and intelligence were highest on my list.
My husband's overall health is excellent but he is allergic to cat & dog dander, dust, mold, pollen, bluegrass.

Nachtengel
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I haven't discovered any allergy on me yet. And I think I never will. I'm pretty healthy. :D

An interesting question. I want my children to be as healthy as possible. For them I will even try to find a woman who compensates my own genetically flaws ( I have a VERY sensitive skin and brown eyes - I don't really consider them as flaws but I'd still like my children being blue-eyed; that just looks better). But you can't see if a person got any allergies by looking at them. And I would feel terrible saying "No, I don't want children from you, you're allergic to pollen" to a girl I have had a long relationship with.
Not all allergies are hereditary and some can be outgrown. Kids often get urticaria after eating something which they can later, as exemplified by several members in this thread. An allergy to milk or eggs can be outgrown, but asthma is more serious.

Will my child have allergies for life?

Your baby will probably outgrow his allergy, depending on what he is sensitive to. If he reacts to milk or egg, he is likely to be over the allergy by the time he is three. However, there is a chance he'll go on to have asthma or hayfever. Allergies to nuts and fish tend to persist, and only 10 per cent to 20 per cent of children who have these allergies will outgrow them.
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/health/allergies/#16

The Captain
Thursday, July 2nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
I'm pretty resilient... I have no allergies whatsoever, I'm never sick, and I'm completely unaffected by poison ivy.