PDA

View Full Version : More UK Catholics than Anglicans go to church

Æmeric
Sunday, December 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7ad6a3cc-b1ae-11dc-9777-0000779fd2ac.html

I assume the migration of Poles, along with other immigrants from Catholic countries into England is partially responsible for this. Though in a country of 60-million it seems that not many people actually attend church weekly, Catholic or Anglican.

A survey of 37,000 churches, published in this week’s Sunday Telegraph, reported that an estimated 862,000 worshippers attended Catholic mass each week compared to 852,000 who went to Church of England services.

Soldier of Wodann
Sunday, December 30th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I wonder how many of these people are actually born in England. And it does seem to be including Northern Ireland, which doesn't make the results very surprising to me, especially since not all of the U.K. is Anglican.

Heh, the Spanish Armada outdone the Polack fishing boat or the Irish raft.

mischak
Sunday, December 30th, 2007, 01:48 AM
I wonder how many of these people are actually born in England. And it does seem to be including Northern Ireland, which doesn't make the results very surprising to me, especially since not all of the U.K. is Anglican.

Last time I checked the majority of people from Northern Ireland were Protestant.

Soldier of Wodann
Sunday, December 30th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Last time I checked the majority of people from Northern Ireland were Protestant.

Most are indeed Protestant (by a thin majority), but not Anglican. The survey didn't factor in the Presbyterians, which most Protestants in NI are, not to mention Scotland or Wales.

Kadu
Monday, December 31st, 2007, 01:30 AM
The answer is quite simple. Since the Catholic community in Britain is quite small they tend to be even more religious than the Catholic core in Southern Europe that's why they have a load:D of offsprings and attend mass more frequently than Prostestants.
An example of what i'm trying to say are the Portuguese Communities in Canada or the USA where they live our country traditions much more intensely than here, it's a matter of preservation and strengthening, the same happens with Catholics in the UK where they are also a minority.

Loyalist
Tuesday, January 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
That survey could be perceived as being biased; Catholic Church attendance is contrasted only to that of the Anglicans, without including other Protestant denominations present in the UK (in which case Catholics would be relegated to minority status again). Highland Scots aside, the Catholic Church has strength in the UK only because of the influence of migrants (the Irish kept it alive, and now waves of eastern Europeans are swelling its numbers).

Æmeric
Tuesday, January 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
I wonder what the weekly mosque attendance is in the UK?:(

Herkus
Friday, January 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM
The answer is quite simple. Since the Catholic community in Britain is quite small they tend to be even more religious than the Catholic core in Southern Europe that's why they have a load:D of offsprings and attend mass more frequently than Prostestants.
An example of what i'm trying to say are the Portuguese Communities in Canada or the USA where they live our country traditions much more intensely than here, it's a matter of preservation and strengthening, the same happens with Catholics in the UK where they are also a minority.

Yes, but it seems there have always been more church-goers among the Catholics than among protestants, as for the latter has been more important to live according to morality standards, than to attend celabrations or keep traditions alive.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, April 22nd, 2018, 06:19 AM
I wonder what the weekly mosque attendance is in the UK?:(That's not far off from the implications of this article. Foreign religion in general is now "hip" at the same time that a few cranks in the CoE leadership even declare themselves atheist.