PDA

View Full Version : Do You Visit Your Motherland?

Gefjon
Sunday, December 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
This one's for the Germanics living abroad from their homelands/in enclaves/colonies, do you ever visit your motherland (i.e. your country of origin)?

Though I don't consider myself German-German, I visit Germany from time to time. I consider America my fatherland, but Germany is my motherland, got relatives and memories there.

Allenson
Sunday, December 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
I've been to both England and Germany twice each. But, I've never been to the Netherlands... (I'm predominantly English/Dutch...but I do have a fair bit of German proper in the ol' woodpile ;) ).

I'm actually thinking of a trip come springtime. :)

SwordOfTheVistula
Sunday, December 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Visited England for 6 weeks, Germany for about a week. Have also visited Austria, where according to some sources one branch of my family is derived from (other sources say NW Germany/Netherlands). Also I visited the place the other German branches of my family come from, which is now part of Poland, including the city where my Great-Grandmother was born. Man, that place is a dump, but at least the entire city is covered with WP graffiti. Haven't been to the non-Germanic homeland (Ireland) yet, at some point I will.

ladybright
Sunday, December 23rd, 2007, 06:12 PM
I have never been to Sweden but I have been to Ireland, England and Wales. It was for six weeks and wandering around with my parents. I loved it.

Matamoros
Sunday, December 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
I would love to visit England (and the rest of Europe of course!). My parents and grandparents are still in contact with some cousins who live there, even though they haven't seen each other for decades. Unfortunately, I decided to use everything I earned over the past few years to pay for university tuition, which means I haven't been able to go yet.

I'm starting a new job soon, which pays well (for a university graduate) and should entail a decent raise every year. So I'll be able to make travelling more of a priority. :)

Loyalist
Sunday, December 23rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Yes, I've been to every nation within the UK, and I lived in England for a while.

Brynhild
Sunday, December 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
No, not yet. Perhaps that will be a retirement plan.......:D

Soldier of Wodann
Monday, December 24th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Born and raised in it.

Freydis
Monday, December 24th, 2007, 05:13 AM
There has never been a day that has gone by where I didn't long for England.

The Lawspeaker
Monday, December 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I have visited the land of my forefathers on an almost weekly bases (when I was living close to the border) Now, because of the distance: once every few months.
My intention is to (if possible) conclude my studies in Louvain (Leuven) and look for a job in Brussels. But first I'll be busy enough here:p

As far as it goes for the other country of my forefathers- France. Well.. I have visited it but I don't really feel the urge to visit it often. There is no connection and I cannot speak French and they stubbornly refuse to speak English.

The land of my foster parents (I haven't seen them in years) is also worth visiting: England (UK) is a great place and I am looking forward to pay it another visit.

Schmetterling
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Yes. I visit Germany to see my relatives, my hometown and to expreience German culture. Because of the distance I can't do it as much as I'd like but Germany is the country I visited most times. It feels like a second home.

Drakkar
Thursday, January 10th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Of my various motherlands, I've been to most. I used to live in Germany, and visit every few years or so, and want to live there again as soon as I can, I have taken short visits to England but want to go there more, and I recently went to study abroad in Sweden. Quebec can wait I suppose, I don't know a lot of French and it's just a short car ride anyway from here.