PDA

View Full Version : What are the Nine Worlds?

DanseMacabre
Thursday, December 20th, 2007, 04:19 AM
How do you view them? Do you believe they are symbols for the different areas of earth or do you see them as actual planes of existence?

Ælfhere
Thursday, December 20th, 2007, 06:53 AM
How do you view them?

I imagine there being three major planes of existence: Asgard (or Heaven), Middle Earth, and Hel. The other six worlds are located within those three. Other than this I haven't thought too much about what they are exactly. Perhaps Hel is the primal world from which Midgard and Asgard were created. Alfheim could be the realm of ancestors. Nastrond the realm of punishment for the wicked. Etc.

Leof
Thursday, December 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM
The universe and the cosmos are not separate. Just as their is life within the Earth, their is life in the stars themselves. For instance Hel's name, much like Hades, means "to conceal" or "hide" specifically in the form of burial. The notion of the god or goddess being both a deity and the realm of the dead is rendered more comprehensible by the notion that this deity is the embodiment of the underworld itself. The same can be said about the stars that are named after gods and goddesses (and in astrology are related to identical forces).

BTW - Is your user title derived from the Theatres Des Vampires song with a similar name? :D

DanseMacabre
Wednesday, December 26th, 2007, 07:51 AM
No. I chose the username Danse Macabre because of my interest in the danse macabre art of the middle ages. :)

olen
Monday, January 28th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I view the nine worlds as different planes of existence. Midgard is the only world we live in, so far. I find it interesting that there are nine worlds. The number nine seems to come up repeatedly, such as nine sides of the volknut, nine noble virtues, Odin hanging for nine days in search of knowledge. Are there other significant meanings of the number nine?

DanseMacabre
Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Heimdall was born of 9 mothers.

As for the nine worlds I view them as planes of existence in a multiverse.